The Student Room Group

what would you spend £500 on?

My Dad recently gave me £500, but I'm not sure what to spend it on. I have an ipod touch and blackberry, otherwise I would buy myself an iphone. :smile:
I'm not asking for advice, just some ideas. What would you spend it on?

Scroll to see replies

I'd save it. Don't buy stuff for the sake of it. You'll probably find it quite useful later.
Reply 2
I'd save it, you never know when you might need it. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by amy1910
My Dad recently gave me £500, but I'm not sure what to spend it on. I have an ipod touch and blackberry, otherwise I would buy myself an iphone. :smile:

Take driving lessons if you can't drive.

Take a short break into europe - with £500 you can have a really nice weekend
Plane tickets to get as far away from here as possible :colonhash:
Reply 5
I would go on a little shopping spree, buy the stuff you like :smile:
Couple of hours with a nice hooker, or a full day with a bad one.

Either that or the worlds biggest takeaway.

Yeah...I don't save very well.
(edited 12 years ago)
You don't have to spend it!!!
I have over 10k now, before starting uni because I never spend my money!
Take a look at your life, and your gadgets, and consider if you are happy, then think about whether £500 of possessions would make you happier. If the answer is no, then put it away for a rainy day, and then you'll find something to spend it on when the time comes around.
Reply 8
Original post by amy1910

A Canon EOS 1000D plus a few accessories. :u:
Reply 9
Well, I really really want a Pegasus thunderbolt raid array, but the cheapest version is just under £800 :tongue:

pretty useless post really

Link:http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H5184ZM/A/Thunderbolt?fnode=MTY1NDA0Nw&mco=MjI4MTM1ODg&s=alpha
Reply 10
I would save it and try to add more into them from time to time, you''d be surprised how much you could save and how much a relief it would be when you really need it!
geez just save it. You don't have to spend every penny of your money on items that you get bored with after a couple days.
Converse in every colour.
Reply 13
save half (or perhaps a little more), treat yourself to something you've wanted for ages with the rest?
matched betting, arbitrage, returns to an ISA
Realistically, rent, fml =P

In a fantasy world where I had to spend it, I'd finally replace my broken camera then go on an epic book/ dvd/ game/ clothes shopping spree.
Reply 16
Personally, I would spend it on some thing that will come in handy and get much use out of it :smile:
Maybe put it towards driving lessons? Or if you're going to University/college soon, put it away and keep it for some thing that will help with that?
In my opinion, if I was in your place, I'd put it in the bank and save it for some thing I might reaaaally want in the future, rather than spending it for the sake of it being there and available to use :tongue:
P.S - You're so lucky! £500, ooft. Haha.
driving lessons
Reply 18
The fact that you're having trouble finding what to spend the money on is a good indication that you should just save it until you need to use the money on something you want/need
Original post by amy1910

I have just under £1000 now - and I'm just saving it - there's no point in spending it on something you don't want. I'm not someone who just saves money for the sake of saving - but there's no use spending for the sake of spending either. Spend when there's something you need/really want.

Quick Reply

Latest