The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

K101 Anyone?

I've signed up to start K101 this October, anyone else?

This is my first OU course, i'm 23 and haven't been in education since i was 17, i've been busy having babies!

Doing K101 as a first step towards my goal of becoming a midwife :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by WonderlandAmy

This is my first OU course, i'm 23 and haven't been in education since i was 17, i've been busy having babies!

Welcome to the OU!

K101 was my first module I did with the OU, but I failed it :frown: I did rather enjoy it, but found it wasn't actually what I thought it was as a course.

I will ask though, as you have mentioned becoming a midwife, have you checked with the Universities running the midwifery programmes that they will accept the K101 - and if they require any other modules, eg, science based ones?

I'm only asking because I speak to people wanting to be healthcare professionals all day.

Universities can be found on-line at:

www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/coursefinder

:smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey thanks!

TBH i've not thought that far ahead. Where i live atm there are no universitys less than a 2 hour drive away that do midwifery.
I'll be moving my family across the country when the children are old enough that i can study full time so i'll sort out where i want to study then, and do any entry courses i need to.

K101 at the moment is to stop me from going mad just sitting about with the kids all day! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Hey thanks!

TBH i've not thought that far ahead. Where i live atm there are no universitys less than a 2 hour drive away that do midwifery.
I'll be moving my family across the country when the children are old enough that i can study full time so i'll sort out where i want to study then, and do any entry courses i need to.

K101 at the moment is to stop me from going mad just sitting about with the kids all day! :biggrin:

I understand that about stopping you from going mad - I just thought would help for you to do some research on the universities now :wink: You are already giving yourself a head start, and it may help to check if they require anything specific, eg, work experience ?

Just want to make sure you have the best chance at becoming a midwife, as you seem to understand what is involved! :biggrin:
Reply 4

Hi!

I've registered to do K101 in October just waiting for my funding.. I'm really looking forward to it, i'm hoping to do a Social Work degree..
Reply 5
Hi!!! I've signed up for the K101 and have just done my finance forms, I'm dead excited but also nervous and I don't know what to expect from the university.

I plan to do the Cert HE H&SC at the OU and then go on to 'proper' Uni to study Nursing. I currently work as a Health Advisor at NHS Direct, I think studying at home will make it a lot easier whilst working however I think I would enjoy living in Halls and the social aspect of it! :smile:
Reply 6
Hey :smile:

I've signed up for K101 and done my finance forms (fingers crossed, don't really know what to expect I hope that part all goes okay. I am excited but nervous too!

I am aiming to continue with OU for BSc Health and Social Care :smile:
Reply 7
Lots of nursing students do K101 before studying a nursing degree. Try looking on the studentnurse forums - can't remember the url at the moment. I'd have thought it would be the same for midwifes.

I am also doing K101 in October and just waiting for fiance now. You'll be doing the same degree as me thebeau

Gagebullard are you doing the Cert which is just K101 or the CertHE which is K101 and KYJ113?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Hi I'm signed up for the K101 for Oct too :smile:, I'm also am hoping to get into my local uni to do nursing next year, have already emailed admissions and they said this course plus my grades should be enough for the course :smile:, trying to write my personal statement now (before my demanded is demanded by the K101 lol) but struggling abit with it atm lol
Reply 9
wooohooo! just got my results for K101 and I passed - now off to Bath uni to study Social Work!
PS, after completing and passing the K101 course, you are entitled to use the letters Cert HSC (Open) after your name.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
I've just completed K101 and got a distinction. The course is interesting but intense, but I managed the study as well as working full time and being a single mum of 4!
Ive applied to 4 university's to do child nursing so just waiting to find out if i've been successful. I also have good old fashioned O levels (that I took in 1987) in Maths, English & Biology so i'm hoping that this is enough!

Dawn x
Reply 11
I'm not finding this module that interesting . I'm studying health & social care but my mind keeps wondering to health sciences. I'll wait till March and see what modules are included in Health Sciences., unfortunatly this module doesn't count towards it :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by DDQ71
I've just completed K101 and got a distinction. The course is interesting but intense, but I managed the study as well as working full time and being a single mum of 4!
Ive applied to 4 university's to do child nursing so just waiting to find out if i've been successful. I also have good old fashioned O levels (that I took in 1987) in Maths, English & Biology so i'm hoping that this is enough!

Dawn x

Gold star for you!! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by DDQ71

Dawn x

Hi Dawn,
I want to do exactly the same as you, but I was worried that the Uni's I want to apply for (Canterbury and Brighton) wouldnt accept just the K101 as its only 60 credits. Have you heard back from any of your Uni's?

Kim x
Reply 14
The uni's ive looked at say they need 120 credits to be accepted however the OU do a secondment into nursing and with the K101 and K117 it covers the 1st year so could go straight into 2nd year of nursing if you already work in a health care setting.
Reply 15
The uni's I've looked at need 120 credits K101 is 60 credits. However OU do secondment into nursing and with K101 and K117 you can go straight into 2nd year of nursing.
Reply 16
Hi, I have just completed k101 and am awaiting my results. I have just applied for uni to do a degree in mental health nursing. I was told that OU points and UCAS points are different and OU points are worth more. So basically 60 OU points would be worth 280 UCAS points or something along those lines. Has anyone else heard this?
Reply 17
That's amazing love your drive .I'm also studying the k101 course wanting to go uni nxt year, got functional skills in math stages 1,2&3, also qcf level 2&3 in health and social care hoping that would be enough to get mi into uni.

This is my first OU course, so just after some tips and how the course is and for who has what do you got from OU to study with and the materials?

Can you go straight on the degree course after completing it and doing the volunteering hours.
Reply 19

Hi! Ive jus enrolled on this aswell! like you ive been busying having kiddies! Im 27! Im really excited about starting, just hope i can do it!! xx

Quick Reply