The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The GEM "Am I Good Enough?" General Questions & Advice Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Ooh, check out the gradmed megathread. Very fancy.

Thought it was time the grads got some lovin', we seem to have lots of undergrad megathreads but not very many grad ones. :p:
Original post by Beska
Thought it was time the grads got some lovin', we seem to have lots of undergrad megathreads but not very many grad ones. :p:

Is it just me or has grad entry become more of a focus over the last three years? I remember a while back you would rarely see any threads about it, but now there tends to be three or four on the first page.
Reply 62
Is it just me or has grad entry become more of a focus over the last three years? I remember a while back you would rarely see any threads about it, but now there tends to be three or four on the first page.

Very true.
Reply 63
Hi guys, I was just wandering, I've just finished year 1 of a 3 year degree, can I apply for GEM now but put deferred entry??
Original post by empresario
Hi guys, I was just wandering, I've just finished year 1 of a 3 year degree, can I apply for GEM now but put deferred entry??

No.
Reply 65

:yep: I know when I was applying, there was nothing on the forum.
Reply 66
I actually only found out about the existence of grad med and considered whether it might be for me after seeing someone mention it on here. In the postgrad forum though, not medicine. :p:
Hi, im a 3rd year pharmacy student (as of spetember this year anyways) who wants to get into graduate entry medicine. my grades for 1st 2 years were 2.1's (although all my a&p modules & pharmacology modules are easily 1sts however my final exam on pharmaceutics in year 2 was a minimum 3rd) and my a level grades were :frown:. I have done UKCAT previously ( i know it only lasts 1 year) & I got around 640 for my UKCAT back then. furthermore I have had experience in hospital & for DoH (latter I got after high school). I was wondering a) would any good unis reject me straight away coz of my poor grades & b) should I apply during final year of uni & ditch prereg or apply during pre-reg.
p.s. apparently rumour has it that in the future, pharmacy may be a 5 year course where students do prereg as part of course, however students would also have to pay for prereg.
ps how do u delete old threads (iv got the same thread, but in current affairs rather than medicine)
Reply 69
Original post by quasa
ps how do u delete old threads (iv got the same thread, but in current affairs rather than medicine)

Just quote a mod in that thread and ask them to move/delete it for you.
It's hard. But nothing worth having comes easy, does it?
true that. but apart from luck, gettting good grades & work experience &extracurricular activities, what things do people consider when looking at applicants (a level grades is whats worrying me coz I got BCC in chem, bio & maths with no additional As levels). also, as iv stated before, im unsure about applying during year 4 or during prereg ( its annoying how half the unis are ok with during final year, while others want u to get a degree before applying)
also would the unis look at overall grades or at individual modules in addition to overall grades (the medically relevant stuff i averaged 1sts in year 1 &2, but the pharmaceutical stuff im averaging a 2.2. in 1st 2 years of uni)
Original post by quasa
Hi, im a 3rd year pharmacy student (as of spetember this year anyways) who wants to get into graduate entry medicine. my grades for 1st 2 years were 2.1's (although all my a&p modules & pharmacology modules are easily 1sts however my final exam on pharmaceutics in year 2 was a minimum 3rd) and my a level grades were :frown:. I have done UKCAT previously ( i know it only lasts 1 year) & I got around 640 for my UKCAT back then. furthermore I have had experience in hospital & for DoH (latter I got after high school). I was wondering a) would any good unis reject me straight away coz of my poor grades & b) should I apply during final year of uni & ditch prereg or apply during pre-reg.
p.s. apparently rumour has it that in the future, pharmacy may be a 5 year course where students do prereg as part of course, however students would also have to pay for prereg.

I've binned the thread in Current Affairs since it's not actually a current affair.

Try and improve your UKCAT score (get the 600Q book and start preparing for it a few weeks before the exam), and write a decent PS. After that it really depends on a comination of luck, fortune, and the competition.
Original post by quasa
true that. but apart from luck, gettting good grades & work experience &extracurricular activities, what things do people consider when looking at applicants (a level grades is whats worrying me coz I got BCC in chem, bio & maths with no additional As levels). also, as iv stated before, im unsure about applying during year 4 or during prereg ( its annoying how half the unis are ok with during final year, while others want u to get a degree before applying)

Luck doesn't come into it. You're either what they're looking for or you're not.

Your A-levels won't stop you. The lack of chemistry will, however, limit your options of where you can apply.

And yes, they may look at your individual modules. E.g. one of my offers was based on the fact that I had chosen to study so many neuroscience and physiology modules.
Yeah it's hard. :mad:

Your UKCAT needs improving to give you more options and write a good PS. As for Unis knowing your specific grades for modules, Liverpool Grad asked me for my exact marks...ahhh the 46% in 2nd year pharm must've excited them. :colone:

And help me get rejected! :mad:
Reply 76
Grad entry used to be thought of as the "Back door" to getting into med shool, theres unfortunatly now so many Biomed science students etc looking for grad entry medicine that some say its becoming harder than traditional undergrad entry routes. As long as it can be justified and not just a change of career on a whim theres no reason why grads cant go for a med degree, stack up the medical work experience as much as possible and other volunteer activities to demonstrate your desire imho
Original post by I<3LAMP
Yeah it's hard. :mad:

Your UKCAT needs improving to give you more options and write a good PS. As for Unis knowing your specific grades for modules, Liverpool Grad asked me for my exact marks...ahhh the 46% in 2nd year pharm must've excited them. :colone:

And help me get rejected! :mad:

so u got 46% overall for 2nd year or just for a module/exam?
also i thought people get around 600 average for UKCAT
Original post by quasa
also i thought people get around 600 average for UKCAT

Average is more around 630 these days. But average aint gunna get you into medical school.

Quick Reply

Latest