The Student Room Group

Zante, Kavos, Malia, Magaluf, Napa - which is best?

I appreciate that there won't be many poeple that have been to ALL of these places, but for those who have been to more than one, which is best? Are they all bascially the same in terms of price/atmosphere/quality of clubs/weather?

I've only been to Zante and had a great time with mates but we want to try a different place next year :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've just got back from Ayia Napa. I thought that was amazing. A few years back i did two weeks in Kavos, and i enjoyed that, although i was tee-total and i had a girlfriend at the time. Double fail! Haha.

I'm looking at doing Kavos (again) or Kardamena at the start of September, but only with one other mate (7 of us went to Ayia Napa).

I thought Ayia Napa was better than Kavos, although once you are out on a night, it is practically the same place. The strip in Kavos seemed bigger to me. It's really quite long and walking from one end to the other is a hassle. In Napa it's slightly different as there are two main strips which sort of have a meeting point, where everybody seemed to congregate.

The Bars are similar in both places, as are the clubs. I enjoyed Atlantis (iirc) in Kavos the most because it's literally on the beach and it was nice to see the sun come up on a morning. Castle in Ayia Napa was pretty good though, although it was a little expensive.

Napa is much nicer through the day imo. Kavos had this weird smell to it which took about 5 days to get used to, and it is quite dirty imo. Napa on the other hand is clean.

Eating wise, Napa was much better. There's probably getting on for a dozen pretty s****y (Edit: Haha you can't say s w a n k y) restaurants all apparently owned by the local mob, haha. Either way, they were really nice, if a little pricey - not much change from 20 euros if you had a starter and a drink with your main. Failing that, there was an all you can eat Pizza hut for 7 euros.

All in all i did find Napa more expensive, however it's worth mentioning that i didn't drink in Kavos and i don't think Greece were in economic meltdown back then. I actually spent more in a week in Napa than i did in two weeks in Kavos. Having said that, i didn't budget much in Napa, and i think with holidays like this, you basically end up spending whatever amount you take. You're obviously more carefree if you take more with you.

Atmosphere was great in both places. Only saw one fight in Kavos in two weeks, and i didn't see any trouble in Napa. Infact, i've seen much worse in family resorts like Salou than i ever have in Kavos and Napa...which is odd considering their respective reputations.

Out of the two, i'd definitely go with Napa, which is odd considering i'm probably going to end up in Kavos next month (it's cheaper for a late deal).

I was asking my mates the same question (they've done nearly all the party places). They all seemed to think Napa was the best, although they all seemed to really like Kardamena (not on your list) aswell. I've heard it's a little quiet there now though.

So yeah, my answer is Napa. :-)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Wahaaaay
I appreciate that there won't be many poeple that have been to ALL of these places, but for those who have been to more than one, which is best? Are they all bascially the same in terms of price/atmosphere/quality of clubs/weather?

I've only been to Zante and had a great time with mates but we want to try a different place next year :biggrin:

I went to Malia last year it was absolutely amazing, I'd go back in a heartbeat. All the clubs are free but the main party was out in the street. You could flit between the clubs. We were with 22 people and so we got amazing drink deals, 3 vodka mixes each, 150 shots and 4 fishbowls all for 5euro each :biggrin:. Our hotel was really good, hiding from the security guard and running through fields at 6am which became "shortcuts" were a highlight.

Only thing I didn't like was some boys were quite rapey but my guy friends kept an eye on us girls. My mum only let me go because she knew the guys were going, safer that way. Also the crazy gypsy children trying to pickpocket were not good. Oh and the PRs, but just run away from them. They liked us because we were such a big group so we filled every bar we went into. Eventually some of the boys struck a deal with a bar and we went there for dinner most nights so we got free drinks.

Oh and my one piece of advice: Stay away from Raki.

P.s I'm going to Zante in August, what's it like?
Reply 3
Original post by lyrical_lie
I went to Malia last year it was absolutely amazing, I'd go back in a heartbeat. All the clubs are free but the main party was out in the street. You could flit between the clubs. We were with 22 people and so we got amazing drink deals, 3 vodka mixes each, 150 shots and 4 fishbowls all for 5euro each :biggrin:. Our hotel was really good, hiding from the security guard and running through fields at 6am which became "shortcuts" were a highlight.

Only thing I didn't like was some boys were quite rapey but my guy friends kept an eye on us girls. My mum only let me go because she knew the guys were going, safer that way. Also the crazy gypsy children trying to pickpocket were not good. Oh and the PRs, but just run away from them. They liked us because we were such a big group so we filled every bar we went into. Eventually some of the boys struck a deal with a bar and we went there for dinner most nights so we got free drinks.

Oh and my one piece of advice: Stay away from Raki.

P.s I'm going to Zante in August, what's it like?

Ahh yeah Malia sounds worth considering then, we'll probs have a group of about 15 next year.
As far as Zante goes, I've got a few bits of advice:
- Cherry Bay is the best club (5 euros for lads, girls get in free)
- Zeros is baad, not worth the money
- Get a quad bike for the day and drive around the island a bit, you can get a decent one for 20 euros which 2 people can ride on
- Start at the bars at the other end of the strip to the beach and then work your way towards the beach where the clubs are when you're drunk coz it gets more expensive up that end
- At the cheap end of the strip there's a restaurant on the corner with fountains and stuff - don't go in there, the service is crap and the rep tryin to entice people in headbutted my mate when he told him how **** the service was
- There are little gypsy kids runnin round there as well but you get used to it lol
Reply 4
It's like asking AIDS or cancer - which is better?
They're all as trashy and generic as each other. If I want to party hard I'll go to NYC, Barcelona, Berlin or Miami and party hard in style.
Reply 6
Original post by Come At Me Bro
They're all as trashy and generic as each other. If I want to party hard I'll go to NYC, Barcelona, Berlin or Miami and party hard in style.

You obviously have a lot more money than I do.....
Original post by Wahaaaay
Ahh yeah Malia sounds worth considering then, we'll probs have a group of about 15 next year.
As far as Zante goes, I've got a few bits of advice:
- Cherry Bay is the best club (5 euros for lads, girls get in free)
- Zeros is baad, not worth the money
- Get a quad bike for the day and drive around the island a bit, you can get a decent one for 20 euros which 2 people can ride on
- Start at the bars at the other end of the strip to the beach and then work your way towards the beach where the clubs are when you're drunk coz it gets more expensive up that end
- At the cheap end of the strip there's a restaurant on the corner with fountains and stuff - don't go in there, the service is crap and the rep tryin to entice people in headbutted my mate when he told him how **** the service was
- There are little gypsy kids runnin round there as well but you get used to it lol

I'm actually going to Zante tomorrow night (well flight is at 2am Monday morning FML:facepalm:). What kind of food do they have there, I've heard they do loads of kebabs but is that it? Also does it have any decent places that sells clothes/watches (even decent fakes would suit me fine:wink:). Als anything else that you think I'll find useful then please let me know:biggrin:
Reply 8
IBIZAAA!!
Its amazing there hehe alcohol is cheap and the hotel we stayed in was fantastic. Also plenty to do during the day, the becah on the other side of the island which is a 10 minute bus journey away is beautiful!
x
Zanteeeeeeeeeeeeee
Reply 10
magalufff is amazing

go there its cheap, all the beaches r good, food is cheap, clubs r livve and the best ones have 25 euro all you can drink + entry to 5 clubs
defo go bcm and tokyo joes

i spent 350 in 9 nights and still got drunk every night and had a tenner left for food on airport in way bak
Reply 11
paceville in malta is the new big one
Shagaluf is a dump, don't go there unless you don't mind being around drunk northeners. xD
Reply 13
Anyone in Kardamena, Kos, 31st August - 8th September?!

Can't wait.
Reply 14
Original post by KerryE5
IBIZAAA!!
Its amazing there hehe alcohol is cheap and the hotel we stayed in was fantastic. Also plenty to do during the day, the becah on the other side of the island which is a 10 minute bus journey away is beautiful!
x

Alcohol cheap in Ibiza? Are you sure? I'm sure I heard it was expensive over there :confused:
Reply 15
Tenerife, Playa de las Americas!

Trust me 100x better than all the more 'well known' clubbing destinations.
Reply 16
Original post by Piddly
Tenerife, Playa de las Americas!

Trust me 100x better than all the more 'well known' clubbing destinations.

Hmm, haven't really considered Tenerife before, why would you say it's better than the others?
Reply 17
Ibiza is really expensive. Its 20-50 to get into the bigger clubs and then anywhere up from 8/9 for any drink. It is, however, the best place. hence the cost.

Magaluf has the reputation of being the ultimate chav destination. I know theyre all bad, Maga is meant to be the worst of the worst.
Reply 18
Original post by Come At Me Bro

ooohh.. im so different because I dont go out and have fun with people. Its ironic in a way that the movement of wannabe hipsters is just as big as the people they are trying to be different than.
Reply 19
I've only been Malia and Napa........Nothing could beat Napa...but maybe Im just saying that because it was my first holiday away from the fam.

Went Malia,and you didnt banngg thoooough

Latest