The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Original post by Hwaseung
Lies, you don't need experience to work in a supermarket. Any idiotic chav can do it.

Where are you applying for medicine? London Met?

No you do not "need" it. But anybody with common sense would prefer somebody with some experience in retail over somebody with no experience.

London Met don't do medicine. Idiot.
Reply 761
Original post by Limitless
No you do not "need" it. But anybody with common sense would prefer somebody with some experience in retail over somebody with no experience.

London Met don't do medicine. Idiot.

where are you applying then? East Anglia?
Reply 762
where are you applying then? East Anglia?

Haven't chosen yet.
Reply 763
Haven't chosen yet.

I would advise you to change your career choice. If you get rejected from a supermarket, you aren't likely to succeed in anywhere decent in Medicine.
Reply 764
I would advise you to change your career choice. If you get rejected from a supermarket, you aren't likely to succeed in anywhere decent in Medicine.

Will do.

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience"
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 765
I know, and I'm skint. I just need a job, getting rejected from a supermarket is disappointing. :frown:

Don't worry, you're talking to someone whos been rejected from mcdonalds 11 times :wink::h:

I'm applying to do medicine this year. I just wanted a part time job. It was probably because I have no retail related work experience all the work experience and volunteering work I have is either in an hospital or GP.

I didn't have any type of retail experience, and I got employed. :biggrin:

My best welcome is on sunday.. but they didn't say what I needed to wear - so people that are actually employed by Asda, casual or smart?! :s-smilie:
Reply 767
Original post by AndSparkles
I didn't have any type of retail experience, and I got employed. :biggrin:

My best welcome is on sunday.. but they didn't say what I needed to wear - so people that are actually employed by Asda, casual or smart?! :s-smilie:

I got told to wear white shirt and black trousers, so smart casual I guess!
Reply 768
With my application, I couldn't find how to do pending assessments as there weren't any showing so I just presumed I was unsuccessful but couple of days later, I was invited for an ASDA Magic session. Right now I'm doing the induction which for my store is 4 days of boring as hell stuff (last day tomorrow), but at least it's paid.
Original post by mrhea04
I got told to wear white shirt and black trousers, so smart casual I guess!

Thank you! Now to try and find something smart... again. :tongue: :frown:
Reply 770
I've applied almost two weeks ago now and have only had confirmation emails for three out of five applied positions! I hope this can only be good news.
Reply 771
Hey everyone, I've just got a job at asda and have the training week next week! Anyone know what goes on in this training week, like what they're training me in?! Thanks :smile:
Original post by emzywemzy
Hey everyone, I've just got a job at asda and have the training week next week! Anyone know what goes on in this training week, like what they're training me in?! Thanks :smile:

I've got the Magic Assessment Centre on Tuesday. What did you have to do?
Original post by Hazlematazle

Do you mean Asda Magic?

Original post by emzywemzy

What store? I start Sunday. I think it depends on your job, but the first few days are health and safety stuff and form filling etc.
Reply 774
People sometimes call me Asda :erm:
Reply 775
[QUOTE=[COLOR="Red"]asda[/COLOR]lol;33046095]People sometimes call me Asda :erm:

same!

u copied half my name:angry: asda
Reply 776
Had my asda magic interview on tuesday was told they would contact me either today or tomorrow. Do they contact everyone or just those who they want to interview again? And is it usually by phone or email?
thanks
Original post by AndSparkles
Do you mean Asda Magic?

Yeah that's the one.
Original post by Hazlematazle

It basically follows a set structure with variations between stores.

For me personally, we had to sit around this huge table, where there were already name badges placed out for us.
We had an introduction, where all the departments were spoken out briefly and what they do etc, and general facts about the store. We then had to talk to the person next to us, and find out why they want to work for asda, and 3 interesting things about them. You then had to introduce them to the rest of the group and tell them what you found out. After this, we were mixed up again, according to our birthdays, and then placed in to groups of 3 and then had to give ourselves a team name (my Asda Magic event was the day after the Apprentice final, so we called ourselves Venture). We then had to build a 'castle' using only 10 balloons and cellotape, and estimate how high we were going to build it - We estimated 150cm, which was the highest out of all the groups.. and we actually got higher then that - until one of the balloons started going down afterwards! We then got given a set of questions (What worked well, What would we do differently, Why do you think it worked well etc.) and we had to tell everybody our answers. After this, we got given a tour of the store, and while this was being done, we were told to leave our 'right to work in the uk' documents on the table. Finally, after this we were given a 'flexibility' form. It contained a list of departments and you had to tick the departments you didn't mind working in, then your availability regarding times, and when you can start, any notice periods etc.

That was all we could fit in, so we didn't get to 'Have a Go' - but apparently, if you apply online, you're now meant to find out if you're successful straight after this, and have your interview there and then. The interview varies between your answers as it chooses questions depending on what you put in the assessments. They were all pretty much straightforward - describe a time when you worked in a time, what effect would you being sick have on the team, strengths/weaknesses etc.

I hope that helps you!

Original post by beckyyyyy
Had my asda magic interview on tuesday was told they would contact me either today or tomorrow. Do they contact everyone or just those who they want to interview again? And is it usually by phone or email?
thanks

I was told that if you are successful, you are CALLED back. If you are not successful, you are EMAILED. A bit weird.. but whatever. An email softens the blow I'd say!
Original post by Mr. Frying Pan
It's this Friday, isn't it?

Got paid today ! Cheers.

Is it every 4th Friday you get paid . So the Next will be Aug 26th ?

Quick Reply

Latest