The Student Room Group

Amy Winehouse deserved to die?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stefan1991
Oh look, someone who has no comprehension or understanding of how terrible addiction is.

If people wish to be not compassionate, then why not? Aren't you a person in the Philosophy forum who says anything is acceptable?
Having money makes it harder to quit as the drugs are readily available if your able to finance them. Whereas, if your poor and living on streets, sometimes you have no option but to quit an addiction unwillingly.
Original post by Captain Hindsight
i have a job

small to some, but it's like bees and the hive effect. everyone pulls together and contributes to the hive. she does not contribute to the hive. she sings a few songs and snorts crack up her nose and injects heroine between her toes (it rhymes)

How dare you. She contributed to the economy more than you will ever do matey. After all the records she sold, major businesses in the UK would have got much commission of that, hence all helping economy and therefore society. I think your a disgusting person who has no concept of reality. You need to visit the real world and see what its actually like for drug addicts. Shame on you.
Those who say she was an inspiration, one hopes they follow in her footsteps.

We are fighting a war,although you wouldn't know it ,and while our boys die and leave their families without fathers this thing who looks like a witch doctors rattle gets wall to wall coverage by our media scum.
Reply 104
Original post by hunstatham
If people wish to be not compassionate, then why not? Aren't you a person in the Philosophy forum who says anything is acceptable?

I've never ever said anything should be acceptable. Anything that doesn't harm anyone (except perhaps from the person doing it) should be acceptable.

I'm pointing out that person hasn't got the slightest clue about addiction, and therefore shouldn't judge people on it, because if they understood it they'd probably be a lot more compassionate.
Reply 105
It's also incredibly stupid to judge her, the only person she was harming was herself (and perhaps her family to a smaller extent).

Would you blame someone in financial difficulty who finds themselves in thousands of pounds in debt and unable to pay it all off? No, because you understand that people can get themselves in situations they have little control over which can quickly get out of hand.

It's like saying everyone who joins the army DESERVES to die, they are putting themselves at risk. Tony Hawk DESERVES to die, he skateboards and it's a dangerous sport.

Drug addiction is a disease and it's never the addicts fault.
Gandalf: “Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Frodo. Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.”
Hitler, Idi Amin, Osama Bin Laden deserved to die. You can't put Amy Winehouse in the same category as them. Her death was inevitable on account of her drugs/alcohol issues but she didn't deserve to die.
Original post by ctrl.abandon
Mate, we're not in court. Lmfao. "Furthermore" your post reeks of a grasping-at-straws kind of desperation. I love how you're trying to turn this into a 'logical' debate by picking on inane semantics.

Shall I quote the whole song for you? I don't think that will be necessary, will it? Why don't you just type "Rehab lyrics" in Google and see it in all it's sh**** glory for yourself? I think that would suit us both very well.

Another thing, you ask me to "lay out a logical argument demonstrating that quoting 13 badly written words from one song immediately denotes that a lack of writing quality permeates enough of her songs for her to be considered to have little talent in the area"...? :pierre: That's funny because I thought I said it was enough for me to dismiss her completely. Obviously then, I'm not gonna give two sh**s whether or not it "denotes that a lack of writing quality permeates" through "enough of her songs".

I can think of a single line (I suppose I could stretch this to a whole play) of Shakespeare's that I don't think much of - I guess this justifies dismissing his entire corpus as the product of a talentless and overrated artist.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 109
No one deserves to die. Amy had her problems, many of witch was due to mental health and really bad depression. some people cant deal with kind of fame she had, you have to remember she didnt just smash england she was world famus in every other countrie. she fell in to the wrong crowd, introduced her to drugs. you have to think what kind of friends where they - she also had a lung dieseas which many people dont know about, i cant reemerb the effects of it but sometimes its hard to breathe and you can eventaly die from it, a slow and painful death. - smoking weed doing drugs would not of help, but she did go to rehab and look like she was on the mend, but then moved into the wrong crowed again.

She was and amazing pure talent, she brought joy to so many people with her music. some people are small minded, if you havent got people close to you that were in amys situations you may never understand. really hope she's at peace now. I don't wanna hear any chat about it's her own fault, addiction is a powerful demon.
Reply 110
Original post by LondonB
No one deserves to die. Amy had her problems, many of witch was due to mental health and really bad depression. some people cant deal with kind of fame she had, you have to remember she didnt just smash england she was world famus in every other countrie. she fell in to the wrong crowd, introduced her to drugs. you have to think what kind of friends where they - she also had a lung dieseas which many people dont know about, i cant reemerb the effects of it but sometimes its hard to breathe and you can eventaly die from it, a slow and painful death. - smoking weed doing drugs would not of help, but she did go to rehab and look like she was on the mend, but then moved into the wrong crowed again.

She was and amazing pure talent, she brought joy to so many people with her music. some people are small minded, if you havent got people close to you that were in amys situations you may never understand. really hope she's at peace now. I don't wanna hear any chat about it's her own fault, addiction is a powerful demon.

*correction some people i.e rapest and murders do deserve to die.
She didn't deserve to die. She didn't harm anyone. But I have no sympathy for her or anyone who throws their life away in this fashion.
Justified or not, what's it to you? Ever heard of 'personal taste'? Another thing for you to Google.

Aaaaand you're yet to demonstrate that rejecting a single song is enough to reject an artist as a whole. Try again; go on, I'll give you another crack at it.
Omg lol. There's no cure for stupidity.

And no cure for an inability to justify your own beliefs. Well, except actual thought, that is.
Reply 114
It simply isn't. Injecting heroin is a ticket to death. Amy would have known that before she started.

:facepalm:
What a load of tosh. Plenty of people inject heroin and live normal fulfilling lives.

So anyone who takes risks deserves to die? Good logic there :rolleyes:

Honestly, why are we even debating this...? Isn't it obvious that it was her fault?

People make mistakes, humans aren't perfect believe it or not, doesn't mean they deserve to die you moronic being.
"They tried to take me off to rehab an I said blow blow BLOOOW OMG NOSE BLEED!"
Reply 116
Original post by Captain Hindsight
i have a job

small to some, but it's like bees and the hive effect. everyone pulls together and contributes to the hive. she does not contribute to the hive. she sings a few songs and snorts crack up her nose and injects heroine between her toes (it rhymes)

since when does having a job make you king flipping tut, just cause you have a job doesn't make you any better for society so get your head out your arse.
She took drugs and couldn't control her addictions. She deserved it.
Men should only do what is within their power. By that i mean no man can stop death happening therefore no man should decide whether people die.

The people who say Amy Winehouse deserved to die should ask themselves, "What makes me her superior?"

Anyway. She was addicted to drugs it's not that easy to stop. Ask yourself right now. "How long can i last without going on the internet." You might think it's stupid but being hooked on the internet and being hooked on drugs are similar. Except for the fact that the internet rarely kills you.

Being addicted to the internet and being addicted to drugs are similar because in both cases you feel the need to use them. You tell yourself you need it, you want it, you got to have it.

Countless people will say, if she wanted to stop she could have stopped. Yet the same people wouldn't last a month without the internet or their mobile phones or their TV. If you want to stop watching TV you can just stop, right?...... No, because you feel you have to watch it, you feel like you can't live without it, like it will do you good. That is the exact same feeling Amy Felt.
No one deserved to die. She was an idiot nevertheless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending