The Student Room Group

Oxbridge FAQ!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by Woolf's muse
AS/A2 choices:
AS/A2 choices should be as academic as possible. If you can do 4 A2's, do so; if you're a scientist and Further Maths is available, take it; if you've got a choice between a well respected subject and a one viewed a soft touch(say, history or critical thinking) do the respected one.

History is a soft touch?:eek:

well respected subject
and a one viewed a soft touch
history or critical thinking
Reply 421
Original post by Lac.

well respected subject

Sorry I misread it:colondollar: , you just scared me because i've just completed history A2 and it was quite difficult
Reply 422
Original post by Lac.

well respected subject

So history and critical thinking
Reply 423
Original post by shoshin
So history and critical thinking

Was just quoting what was said; not my words.
Reply 424
I was wondering, about applying - is it better to apply long before the 15th of October? Because in Sixth Form we've been advised to apply early for universities in order to get more chance of getting in, but Cambridge interview most of their applicants, don't they, regardless? And the interviews take place at roughly the same time, meaning that everybody gets equal attention, or at least that's how I've understood it...Basically,what I'm trying to get at is: will I have a better chance of getting in applying in September than in October? :tongue:
Reply 425
Original post by Latimer
I was wondering, about applying - is it better to apply long before the 15th of October? Because in Sixth Form we've been advised to apply early for universities in order to get more chance of getting in, but Cambridge interview most of their applicants, don't they, regardless? And the interviews take place at roughly the same time, meaning that everybody gets equal attention, or at least that's how I've understood it...Basically,what I'm trying to get at is: will I have a better chance of getting in applying in September than in October? :tongue:

Simply put, no. You can wait right up until the final day to submit the application and you'll be in exactly the same position as everyone else.
Reply 426
Original post by Spungo
Simply put, no. You can wait right up until the final day to submit the application and you'll be in exactly the same position as everyone else.

Ah thanks, suppose I can relax a bit there then...
Hello everyone. I live outside UK and have some questions. FIrst of all, I have already asked UCAS about IELTS and they answered that it is possible to send an application form first and and then take IELTS. Maybe someone could tell me what is the deadline in both Cambridge and Oxford universities for IELTS? Is it important to have IELTS results before an interview or you can take them after it? :smile:
Reply 428
Do they actually compare your results with your school's overall perfomance?
Original post by MrsSnufkin
I'm still in Year 8 and I wanted to join he Army Cadets but my dad said that it was a bad idea.
Should I join anything else instead?
What extra-curricular activities are better?

If you want a job at the end of the process, anything work-related, even if it means selling knickers at a market stall.

A friend of mine recently finished a PhD in a very competitive mathematics-based field from a highly prestigious university, and she has had serious problems finding a job because she has never worked outside academia or the charity sector.
(edited 12 years ago)
I have a quick question: is Oxbridge worth doing an extra year of education for? Whilst all my friends and the people I've been with for years go off to uni, is it worth doing another year of below undergrad level study, in attempt to go to Oxbridge? Only curious
Original post by David Young
I have a quick question: is Oxbridge worth doing an extra year of education for? Whilst all my friends and the people I've been with for years go off to uni, is it worth doing another year of below undergrad level study, in attempt to go to Oxbridge? Only curious
That's quite a personal decision.

But personally, I would (I think) have been more than happy to go to one of the other wonderful universities we have in this country, rather than wait a year.

Basically - it depends how you feel.
Original post by EastGuava
Don't know where to post this, but I'm just curious. Do a lot of Oxbridge students do like 5 subjects for AS?

A few, but it's certainly not an entry requirement.
I see. Guess you're an Oxbridge student; did you do five?

I did :smile: But there are people who have done just three. It's much more about showing your capacity to study the specific course you've applied for, than it is having lots of A levels.
Reply 434
Don't know where to post this, but I'm just curious. Do a lot of Oxbridge students do like 5 subjects for AS?

It depends on the subject and the school but I would say a lot of NatSci, medicine & Economics students at Cambridge had done five. However it gives you little advantage in the application process except showing capacity to cope with a high workload. Cambridge average the top three (or four with FM) UMS scores so it helped if one subject went badly-but not if you couldn't cope with extra work. However they do take account if you are at a school where five is normal, or five is unlikely to be allowed.

It can be good if you start sixth form unsure of what you want to study as it keeps your options open.
Hey I'm thinking of applying to cambridge or Oxford in the future and I was wondering If anyone could give me an objective view of the type of character required to succeed at oxbridge. Like do you need lots of confidence, independence, a good work attitude...etc
I was unsuccessful in getting into Oxbridge but I'm happy to talk about the process with anyone that's interested. I'm currently at Durham.
Original post by Woolf's muse
AS/A2 choices:
AS/A2 choices should be as academic as possible. If you can do 4 A2's, do so; if you're a scientist and Further Maths is available, take it; if you've got a choice between a well respected subject and a one viewed a soft touch (say, history or critical thinking) do the respected one.

History is a soft touch?:eek:

Do you think a level geology is a soft touch?
Original post by ek26
Do I have any chance getting into oxford with 5A'S 2B's and 2'C I'm gutted with my results because I really wanted to go there but even if I get 4a's at A level would I have a chance?

To study what? And what grade did you get for each GCSE subject?
Original post by ek26
I want to study History or law and i got the two c's in science and music, two b's in textiles and maths and five a's in English language, English literature, history, french and additional science.

The average number of A*s for a law student is 8/9. GCSEs are used to select those to invite for interview and as only half of applicants receive an interview invitation it's clearly highly competitive. To be honest I'm not sure you'd make it to interview with grades like that. If you can show you have any extenuating circumstances, get great AS levels, or write a truly outstanding LNAT paper then you could be in with a chance.

Have you thought about Cambridge? It might be that very high UMSs scores at AS get you an interview.

If you were determined to apply to Oxford over Cambridge you would probably be in a better position applying for history. Remember that your application consists of a number of elements; GCSEs, personal statement, AS levels, A2 predictions, submitted work, aptitude test, and interviews. If you were to apply post A-Level during a gap year, with AAA or A*AA in the bag, then you would again strengthen your application.

I study History at Ox by the way so if you have any questions about the course I may be able to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest