Reply 40
Original post by Penguinsaysquack

leeds requires ukcat test.
bristol does not. that's what I know.
Original post by Seham
I've sat the UKCAT three times, so if you have any questions, ask. :smile:

Hi :wavey:

I'm no dentist but I know a thing or two about the UKCAT (sat the damn thing twice :grumble:) so I think I'll silently stalk this thread and see if you lot have any questions :h:

Yes... I'm that bored :teehee:

Would it be a good idea to sit the UKCAT this year ..and the next couple of years, to use as practice?

I'm hoping to do GEM, and have taken a practice test without any revision beforehand.. scored somewhere between 400-550. Hoping to practice more over the years, but would it be a good idea to use this years UKCAT as practice for future instances?

And would Universities be able to recognise that I would have taken the test prior to the year I'm applying for?

Any help would be much appreciated:smile:
Original post by getfunky!
Would it be a good idea to sit the UKCAT this year ..and the next couple of years, to use as practice?

I'm hoping to do GEM, and have taken a practice test without any revision beforehand.. scored somewhere between 400-550. Hoping to practice more over the years, but would it be a good idea to use this years UKCAT as practice for future instances?

And would Universities be able to recognise that I would have taken the test prior to the year I'm applying for?

Sorry did you say you were looking to apply to Graduate Entry Medicine?
If so you're in the wrong forum.. you want to be posting in here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1632958

Hmmm, well I suppose you could

Couple of things though... The UKCAT could change by the time you come to apply (ie they got rid of the useless part of the test this year and changed to an on screen calculator)
Cost! At £60 a go (pre-september) it's not exactly cheap! But if money's not an issue then I don't see why not.

As for would the uni's know.. no they wouldn't. They wouldn't know that you'd taken the test before :nah:

You shouldn't need years practice though.. a good solid few months can do you fine imo :yep:

But it's really up to you :h:
Original post by getfunky!

You could sit the test for practice. It might help you with timings but they have timed tests on the website. Personally, I would say don't waste your money, buy the 600Q book and work on your speed. The test is only valid for one application cycle, so having sat it previously is irrelevant.
Reply 44
Sorry did you say you were looking to apply to Graduate Entry Medicine?
If so you're in the wrong forum.. you want to be posting in here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1632958

Hmmm, well I suppose you could

Couple of things though... The UKCAT could change by the time you come to apply (ie they got rid of the useless part of the test this year and changed to an on screen calculator)
Cost! At £60 a go (pre-september) it's not exactly cheap! But if money's not an issue then I don't see why not.

As for would the uni's know.. no they wouldn't. They wouldn't know that you'd taken the test before :nah:

You shouldn't need years practice though.. a good solid few months can do you fine imo :yep:

But it's really up to you :h:

I was wondering, for applying for Dentistry in 2013, am I right in saying I need to take the test next Summer?
Original post by Blob2491
I was wondering, for applying for Dentistry in 2013, am I right in saying I need to take the test next Summer?

Yes, that's correct.

UKCAT is only valid for one application cycle, so applying for 2013 entry/2014 deferred entry would mean taking the UKCAT next summer :h:
Reply 46
Yes, that's correct.

UKCAT is only valid for one application cycle, so applying for 2013 entry/2014 deferred entry would mean taking the UKCAT next summer :h:

Oh god...is the 600Q book recommended? I only got a score of 600 on my first practice test :\
Oh god...is the 600Q book recommended? I only got a score of 600 on my first practice test :\

I didn't personally use it, but yes. I've heard good things about that book :yep:

Though you shouldn't take their estimations on your score too literally and 600 with a year to go is bloody good! :tongue:
Reply 48
I didn't personally use it, but yes. I've heard good things about that book :yep:

Though you shouldn't take their estimations on your score too literally and 600 with a year to go is bloody good! :tongue:

Ah awesome, I really really REALLY wanna do Dentistry at Kings! I dunno if I can keep up with the work and remember everything for exams :s

EDIT: OMG 666 posts! I'm cursed, i'll never do dentistry :frown:
Ah awesome, I really really REALLY wanna do Dentistry at Kings! I dunno if I can keep up with the work and remember everything for exams :s

EDIT: OMG 666 posts! I'm cursed, i'll never do dentistry :frown:

Focus on getting that offer and A levels first... then worry about exams (assume you meant uni exams :tongue:)

:lol:
You'll have to post more then to counter that :colone:
Reply 50
Focus on getting that offer and A levels first... then worry about exams (assume you meant uni exams :tongue:)

:lol:
You'll have to post more then to counter that :colone:

nah I mean keeping up with A-level work, Chemistry looks so tricky and the workload along with Bio is huge!
haha beat that Satan 667 :tongue:
Reply 51
Original post by ap22prima
leeds requires ukcat test.
bristol does not. that's what I know.

Leeds AND Bristol DON'T want the UKCAT. Neither do Liverpool and Birmingham.

I'm taking mine for the first time next week and I really think I'll fail. Can I retake it soon or do I have to take a year out and retake it to apply for Dentistry the year after?
Original post by Toniaa
Leeds AND Bristol DON'T want the UKCAT. Neither do Liverpool and Birmingham.

I'm taking mine for the first time next week and I really think I'll fail. Can I retake it soon or do I have to take a year out and retake it to apply for Dentistry the year after?

You can only take the UKCAT once per cycle... so you're best off applying this year anyway (to dentistry schools that don't use it much (don't ask me which ones... research is still on my to do list :tongue:)) and using this as a learning experience.

But you might do well anyway! :crossedf:
Reply 53
You can only take the UKCAT once per cycle... so you're best off applying this year anyway (to dentistry schools that don't use it much (don't ask me which ones... research is still on my to do list :tongue:)) and using this as a learning experience.

But you might do well anyway! :crossedf:

Okay, thanks! Hopefully I'll do okay!
Hey. Did ukcat today! Spent 2 days last week studying. I have work aswell unfortunately. I got 692.5 average.580 in qr and 840 in da. Is recommend the 600qs book mainly for the tips it provides and the mock tests. Good luck everyone else.
Reply 55
Original post by Fire Point
Hey. Did ukcat today! Spent 2 days last week studying. I have work aswell unfortunately. I got 692.5 average.580 in qr and 840 in da. Is recommend the 600qs book mainly for the tips it provides and the mock tests. Good luck everyone else.

Congrats! That's a really good score. Where are you thinking of applying to?

I've got the 600qs book and my test is next week. :smile:
Reply 56
does anybody know the ukcat cut off score for sheffield?
Original post by Toniaa
Congrats! That's a really good score. Where are you thinking of applying to?

I've got the 600qs book and my test is next week. :smile:

Aberdeen, Glasgow and Dundee. It's an unfortunate case that I can't afford to study elsewhere.
I might apply for one English or Welsh 4-year course too as I'll be able to work at weekend for about £27 an hour. Unfortunately, I have no way of funding Belfast as not licensed to work in NI and they have no financial assistance.

Good luck with the test.
Reply 58
Original post by Fire Point
Aberdeen, Glasgow and Dundee. It's an unfortunate case that I can't afford to study elsewhere.
I might apply for one English or Welsh 4-year course too as I'll be able to work at weekend for about £27 an hour. Unfortunately, I have no way of funding Belfast as not licensed to work in NI and they have no financial assistance.

Good luck with the test.

WOW congrats ! How did you find each sections in the exam compared to the 600 UKCAT book ?

I heard that VR is harder this year but QR is a lot easier ?
Original post by SRK.
WOW congrats ! How did you find each sections in the exam compared to the 600 UKCAT book ?

I heard that VR is harder this year but QR is a lot easier ?

My opinion, and mine alone, is that QR was easier and VR was easier. DA was much easier and AR was about the same.

If you read alot of 16th century fiction you'll enjoy some of the VR questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest