The Student Room Group

PC Gaming Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Anyone excited for prematurely-announced Borderlands 2 madness?
Original post by neillya1
Just joined :h: If anyone wants to add my Steam ID to the first post it's the same as my username :tongue:

Can't believe that Guildwars2, Diablo III and Skyrim all come out this year :sogood:

Does anyone know when the new Trackmania is being released? :holmes:

Guild Wars 2 is coming out this year? I think the earliest would be Christmas (which would be this year) but I fear that I am being overly optimistic. Early 2012 is the likely date. :frown:
Reply 62
Original post by Oxy-moron Prodigy
Guild Wars 2 is coming out this year? I think the earliest would be Christmas (which would be this year) but I fear that I am being overly optimistic. Early 2012 is the likely date. :frown:

Damn, that sucks! :sad:
Reply 63
Original post by neillya1
Just joined :h: If anyone wants to add my Steam ID to the first post it's the same as my username :tongue:

Can't believe that Guildwars2, Diablo III and Skyrim all come out this year :sogood:

Does anyone know when the new Trackmania is being released? :holmes:

Can' wait for Guild Wars 2 and Skyrim myself. Still got Guild Wars installed (might as well, it's free to play), and back to playing Oblivion again.

I was wondering what everyones favourite RPG game is? At the moment mine is Oblivion, but I just got Baldur's Gate 2 which is meant to be one of the best RPGs. It's based on DnD.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 64
Terraria 1.0.6 is amazing.

Can see myself putting another 40 hours in :colonhash:
Reply 65
Original post by cambo211
Terraria 1.0.6 is amazing.

Can see myself putting another 40 hours in :colonhash:

What is Terraria?
Reply 66
Original post by zxh800
What is Terraria?

http://www.terraria.org/

Currently on offer on Steam for £2.99 to celebrate the 1.0.6 update.
Reply 67
Hey guys, PG game like the rest of you.

On my to-do list is Borderlands (haven't finished it as my lappie died and I lost he save, and crysis 1 because I have the rig for it.

Oh, and also, I'm soon going to be Ironman-running a slightly older game, called Freelancer. All I need to do is buy FRAPS, then I'm all set. I may also blind-run the X:<insert tile here> series for your enjoyment. (and potentially Crysis, but that may be too common these days, and I pale into insignificance compared to NanosuitNinja - if you haven't seen his Crysis Ironman, check it out, it's awesome!!).

[If you know a Youtube video has swearing in it to the point where you're having to leave a disclaimer, please don't post it. Such things tend to lead to people getting warnings, something you've been spared with in this instance because embedding had been disabled for that particular video :p: - Dali]
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by Astonix

I was wondering what everyones favourite RPG game is? At the moment mine is Oblivion, but I just got Baldur's Gate 2 which is meant to be one of the best RPGs. It's based on DnD.

Prepare for a change in your favourite rpg game :smile:

BG2 is so far beyond any other rpg in terms of depth of story and the amount of content in the game
Reply 69
Original post by NW86
Prepare for a change in your favourite rpg game :smile:

BG2 is so far beyond any other rpg in terms of depth of story and the amount of content in the game
:ditto:

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn has been one of my favourite games for nearly a full decade (any time people ask for us to 'list your top ten games of all time' or whatever, SoA is always high up on my list, though to be fair Oblivion's not usually too far behind). It single-handedly made me a MASSIVE fan of Bioware RPGs because while graphically it's nothing special (nor was it at the time it was released) the team put all its effort into the storyline, the lore and the gameplay.

Original post by Tathrim
I may also blind-run the X:<insert tile here> series for your enjoyment.
Make it interesting, go through the whole story of one of the games in a Disco :p: The downside to the X series' main story for purposes of filming is that throughout the story you're always given a new ship for free as bits get a bit more challenging, so as long as you're a semi-decent pilot you should totally dominate any battles (thus it's a tad boring). TC's the worst culprit, as the Terran ships are a wee bit slow but really overpowered; you also start off in an M4 rather than the M5 you start with in older games, then in like the second mission you get three or four M5s that you can either strip the weapons from to equip your M4 or use them as wingmen, then you get an M3 before one of only two remotely difficult missions in the game, then you get an M6 before the second remotely difficult mission in the game, and once you've got the Vidar equipped with a full load of lasers (most of which you can pluck from the M4/M3 you got from earlier missions) there's very little that'll pose you much of a challenge short of a Xenon Q or a Kha'ak Destroyer :indiff:
Reply 70
Original post by Dalimyr

Make it interesting, go through the whole story of one of the games in a Disco :p: The downside to the X series' main story for purposes of filming is that throughout the story you're always given a new ship for free as bits get a bit more challenging, so as long as you're a semi-decent pilot you should totally dominate any battles (thus it's a tad boring). TC's the worst culprit, as the Terran ships are a wee bit slow but really overpowered; you also start off in an M4 rather than the M5 you start with in older games, then in like the second mission you get three or four M5s that you can either strip the weapons from to equip your M4 or use them as wingmen, then you get an M3 before one of only two remotely difficult missions in the game, then you get an M6 before the second remotely difficult mission in the game, and once you've got the Vidar equipped with a full load of lasers (most of which you can pluck from the M4/M3 you got from earlier missions) there's very little that'll pose you much of a challenge short of a Xenon Q or a Kha'ak Destroyer :indiff:

Thanks for the mod message, lesson learned. :biggrin: I said that I'd 'blind-run' the games, and that means I won't have played anything besides the tutorial before I get stuck in to recording. If that's not so interesting, then I'll do something else. Freelancer is the dead certainty here.

that's not to say I've not done things like that. I've done Freelancer in a Rhino, and I may make the FL run an Ironman in a Starflier, or an Advanced Ironman (Best ship available has to be purchased before any mission continues, neutrality actions, plus a few interesting things to be completed in the mission to make it more difficult). :biggrin:
Reply 71
Original post by Tathrim
I said that I'd 'blind-run' the games, and that means I won't have played anything besides the tutorial before I get stuck in to recording.*cough* The X games don't really do tutorials :p: From memory, I think X2 does (kind of), X3: Reunion doesn't at all, and X3: Terran Conflict has an optional 'flight school' mission sequence you can take part in which shows you the ropes (but this can be problematic depending on start type - some game starts don't give your ship missiles (and some don't even give you weapons) to start with and the flight school doesn't give you any when it tells you to do some target practice :ninja:). As a result, they're not particularly newbie-friendly. But if that's the case then maybe a video of you doing it might be rather fun to watch :biggrin: Watching vids of people who know exactly what they're doing isn't quite as entertaining as watching a newbie stumbling about :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Its all about pes11 for the pc :biggrin:
Original post by blueray
Its all about pes11 for the pc :biggrin:

Don't get the point of playing sports-related video games :indiff:
Reply 74
Original post by Jace Falco
Don't get the point of playing sports-related video games :indiff:

what dont you get? :P
Reply 75
Original post by Dalimyr
*cough* The X games don't really do tutorials :p: From memory, I think X2 does (kind of), X3: Reunion doesn't at all, and X3: Terran Conflict has an optional 'flight school' mission sequence you can take part in which shows you the ropes (but this can be problematic depending on start type - some game starts don't give your ship missiles (and some don't even give you weapons) to start with and the flight school doesn't give you any when it tells you to do some target practice :ninja:). As a result, they're not particularly newbie-friendly. But if that's the case then maybe a video of you doing it might be rather fun to watch :biggrin: Watching vids of people who know exactly what they're doing isn't quite as entertaining as watching a newbie stumbling about :p:

Eh, I think I'll stick with Freelancer for now. :biggrin:
Original post by lubus
what dont you get? :P

A football video game is the same thing happening in the same setting over and over and over. In different instances there might be slightly different bland, personality-free characters wearing slightly different costumes, but there's no story, the gameplay is rigid and predictable, there's no interesting decision-making. The only innovations that can be brought in with each new game are different characters to do the same things, and different graphics to make the same setting look slightly shinier.

Tom Francis of PC Gamer wrote a good article about What Makes Games Good, and sports-related games fail on every count. of course, it's subjective, but I wish the industry wouldn't waste time on cash cows, and would instead devote itself to innovation.

Phalanges
x

I remember you talking about game reviewing a while back; can't remember if I linked you this article.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by LtCommanderData
This is the PC Gaming Society. We all know how these things work by now: this thread exists for the discussion of the focus of the society, which in this case is PC gaming. So, get discussing!
Link to the group: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=1555
Direct join link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?do=join&groupid=1555

If you want your Steam ID in the list below, quote me with it!

LIST OF STEAM IDs

What do we all think of this recently announced PC-exclusive Hard Reset?

It looks pretty interesting, but likely to be a 'wait for the price to go down' purchase from me.

psn_quickwittington
OMG, DEUS EX SOON.
I must get it for my birthday. :colonhash:
I MUST.
Ahhh, it's like my wet drea- wait.. wrong gender. :ahee:
Reply 79
Original post by Jace Falco
A football video game is the same thing happening in the same setting over and over and over. In different instances there might be slightly different bland, personality-free characters wearing slightly different costumes, but there's no story, the gameplay is rigid and predictable, there's no interesting decision-making. The only innovations that can be brought in with each new game are different characters to do the same things, and different graphics to make the same setting look slightly shinier.

I myself have never managed to play fifa for long, but remember that many people buy such games to play against their mates (mostly on console), where story is irrelevant.

Quick Reply