The Student Room Group

Make-up ideas, colours, techniques

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Lovin
Ooooo. Just looked at the set and tis verrry nice. So tempted to buy :biggrin: Thank you for sharing :smile:

Gorgeous isn't it! I bought number 8 and number 1 is on its way in the post.

I'm obsessed with eyeshadows at the moment! Got the Urban Decay NYC Book of Shadows about 6 months ago, great colours but find it difficult to work with properly because of the fallout so I don't often use it. One tip for using them: use a slightly damp brush. Prevents fall out and generally makes colour more intense and gives more of a wet look - you might find that will help you achieve the look you posted because you can also be a lot more precise!

Glad there is a thread like this :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Hattie.

I'm obsessed with eyeshadows at the moment! Got the Urban Decay NYC Book of Shadows about 6 months ago, great colours but find it difficult to work with properly because of the fallout so I don't often use it. One tip for using them: use a slightly damp brush. Prevents fall out and generally makes colour more intense and gives more of a wet look - you might find that will help you achieve the look you posted because you can also be a lot more precise!

I didnt think of that. Strange because my bourjois eye shadows tell you to do just that, wet the applicatore for a more intense look. I shall have to try that out when I try to do the blue next time.
It would really pop with the primer too.

Thank you for sharing your tip hun and Im glad you like the thread. Any more ideas/tips or techniques are welcome. :smile:
I tried to do an Arabic rainbow eye look last night, but it came out a bit crap :o:. Oh well, I guess I better keep practising.

Some inspirations:
Reply 23
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I tried to do an Arabic rainbow eye look last night, but it came out a bit crap :o:. Oh well, I guess I better keep practising.

Some inspirations:

I Love the top two. Iv never tried to do one of these styles before. But they look amazing. Thank you for sharing hun :smile:
Reply 24
The Natural Look

Someone mentioned that they like the natural look. And I came across one which is simple, easy to do and takes very little time to achieve. It requires 3 steps.

Step One

Moisturize! Before putting anything on your face, rub in a light moisturizer to prevent flaking and to help your makeup stay on better! If you have any imperfections, use a concealer only where needed and gently pat it on (no rubbing it in!) until it is blended into your skin. Also, apply a small amount of concealer to your lids. This will brighten them up and make your eyes appear bigger, and less tired. Follow up with a light, translucent powder all over your face.

Step Two

Take a soft, pinkish blush and swipe it across the apples of your cheeks. This will just give your cheeks a rosy tint, but nothing too dramatic. You want to look fresh and natural, so go easy on the blush!

Step Three

Finish off the bare look with one coat of mascara, nude/beige lipstick and a swipe of clear gloss. This look is definitely simple and natural, but it’s great for any day of the week because it’s super quick and won’t sweat off your face.

This is a tutorial from styletips101.com. Loved the look and wanted to share with you all :smile: Enjoy.
These look gorgeous ladies, might have to show my gf this thread and see if she can do these herself. Keep em coming :wink:

Ooh, I really love makeup, and I'm so addicted to watching tutorials on YouTube and looking at beauty blogs :biggrin:.

Same here, haha. :wink:

I'm not sure what it is; they're almost hypnotic, haha.
Original post by Americaniamh
Same here, haha. :wink:

I'm not sure what it is; they're almost hypnotic, haha.

They're just really pretty. I generally love art and it's another form of art :biggrin:. Panacea81 was the first YouTube MUA I came across by accident, then it went from there and I was discovering and subscribing to more and more YouTube beauty gurus. Love it :love:
Reply 28
http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=122

Been using these palettes for quite awhile, I personally find them comparable to the pre-hype mac eye shadows which contained a lot more pigment than they do now. Just thought it was worth mentioninig, especially when the price is excellent :smile: My current palette has lasted 3 years!
They're just really pretty. I generally love art and it's another form of art :biggrin:. Panacea81 was the first YouTube MUA I came across by accident, then it went from there and I was discovering and subscribing to more and more YouTube beauty gurus. Love it :love:

Panacea81 is so talented! I also really like the Pixiwoo sisters. They're crazy. They literally pick up some random colors and products then craft a look! :eek:
Original post by Americaniamh
Panacea81 is so talented! I also really like the Pixiwoo sisters. They're crazy. They literally pick up some random colors and products then craft a look! :eek:

I totally agree! Pixiwoo are simply amazing! Their skills are immense and they're definitely two of the best :yep:
Reply 31
Original post by Lovin
Right I think I reccomended quite a bit on eyes, so lets move to something different. How is everyone's foundation?
My favourite foundation has got to be Boujois 10 hour sleep effect foundation. This would particularly suit someone with really pale skin. My skin is actually rather pale and the other makes of foundation didnt even come close to my shade, they just made me look rather orange with a very distinct neck line.

This is what the product should look like, I'v also included the shades that it comes in. I use the 71 extra fair and it covers my skin beautifully.
It's a liquid foundation which is very easy to apply. I find the best way, or rather my preferred way is with a foundation brush, applying in small wisps, (light layer) It leaves a lovely finish to your skin. It's not too overpowering so it wont "cake" your skin.
Also comes with a Tutorial too. Enjoy :smile:

I love that foundation too!
Reply 32
Im glad a lot more people are talking on this thread. Keep the product reccomendations coming, the make-up ideas and tutorials too. :tongue: Can never have too many ideas :biggrin:
Reply 33
Anyone know what nail varnish colours are "in" at the moment? I need some new ideas lol.
Reply 34
Original post by Xyls
http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=122

Been using these palettes for quite awhile, I personally find them comparable to the pre-hype mac eye shadows which contained a lot more pigment than they do now. Just thought it was worth mentioninig, especially when the price is excellent :smile: My current palette has lasted 3 years!

Coastal Scents are great. I have a bit of a phobia of cheap make-up (I know, not good - a very expensive vice) but these are really great palettes. Obviously they are considerably cheaper than MAC so they're not the best quality, but you get so many colours for your money and they're not half bad. Would recommend!
Original post by Hattie.

I always use a damp brush :yy: It also makes application really soft(and loose eyeshadows are impossible to use otherwise) and feel light and comfortable on eyelids.
my favourite bright look atm is golden green in the crease and darm shimmery blue on eyelids, with gold accents in inner corner.
Reply 36

Some inspirations:

What I found quite hard to master about these kind of looks was the precision of the blending between colours, but I seem to have solved my problem! What I now do is use 1 eyeshadow brush per 2 colours, and take a sweep of each colour on opposite sides of the brush (the 2 colours should be next to each other on the eyelid). It means that you can flip the brush whilst applying to get your blending completely precise. Hope that makes sense! :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by Hattie.
What I found quite hard to master about these kind of looks was the precision of the blending between colours, but I seem to have solved my problem! What I now do is use 1 eyeshadow brush per 2 colours, and take a sweep of each colour on opposite sides of the brush (the 2 colours should be next to each other on the eyelid). It means that you can flip the brush whilst applying to get your blending completely precise. Hope that makes sense! :smile:

Thanks for the tip hun :smile: might have to give these looks a try. I shall try to find some more too :smile:

What brushes do you use?
I bought mine from the body shop and they're excellent :tongue: but I've heard the mac ones are very good too just a shame that theyre so expensive.
Reply 38
Quick Diagram of the eye. This demonstrates the areas of your eye which most make-up guides use or at least mention. This will help you with putting eyeshadow on and knowing which colours to put where :smile:

Brow Bone/Highlight

Generally, a lighter color will be applied to this area; it may be something that has undertones of bolder colors used on the lid, or it may simply be similar to your skintone. For example, say I do a predominantly green look, I might turn to MAC’s Gorgeous Gold eyeshadow as a highlight color because it will bring out the greens and still allow the color to taper off. Some of my favorite highlight colors are Ricepaper and Shroom.

Above Crease

This is my “blend out” area. There is strong color on the lid and the crease many times, and that strong color needs to be diffused as it moves it way upwards towards the brow. The best way to think about it is as a gradient, going from dark to light, starting on the lid moving towards the brow. Sometimes I use a lighter color than the one I used on my lid to help fade the color upwards, other times I may use the same color I chose for a highlight.

Outer Crease

Luckily my eye was lookin’ a bit tired, because you can really make out the “crease,” which is that fold of skin/wrinkle-like detail you can see. It extends from the beginning of your eye (inside) to the end of your eye (the outside). Most often I deposit color in the outer crease, but sometimes I do bring it inward a touch, more to the “middle” of the crease. I rarely go for darkening the entire length of my crease. A great universal crease color is Carbon, if used lightly, it can darken any look instantly. Soft Brown is also a nice, subtler shade.

Inner Lid

I mentally slice my eyelid into three parts–basically into thirds. There is the inner, middle, and outer thirds. In many looks you will see, a lighter color is put on the inner lid relative to the rest of the colors found on the lid.

Middle of Lid

This is the middle third of the eyelid, and since I typically do similar styles in my looks, this is where a “medium” color in terms of darkness would go. Light, medium, dark is a good way to think of how I deposit and choose what colors go where on the lid. On occasion, I might go medium, light, dark, but not nearly as frequently as I do the former.

Outer Lid

This is the outer third of the eyelid, and this is usually where I put the darkest lid color. Sometimes I will darken the very outermost portion of it (say you split the outer lid third into half, so then it’d be the outer half or the outer sixth of the entire lid) with the same color I would put in my crease.

Upper Lash Line

It is not explicitly labeled in this diagram, but it is where your upper lashes (generally the longest ones, the ones that come from your eyelid) meet your eyelid. This is the actual upper lash line. When lining the upper lash line, many create thicker lines than the natural upper lash line, but the concept is still there.

Upper Waterline

The upper waterline is also not explicitly labeled, but it can be found directly underneath your upper lashes. If you looked up, you would see a tiny bit of space, much like your lower line, and some people line this as well. It is called tightlining, for your reference.

Lower Waterline

The lower waterline is sometimes called the lower rim, because it is essentially the bottom rim of your eye. There are dozens of people who cannot put product on their waterline due to sensitivity, and many others who struggle to find a product that does not fade or dissolve because of the waterline (and the fact that it is…watery!). For those looking for longer lasting products, I know many use gel liners, fluidliners, and some even use liquidlast liners.

Inner Lower Lash Line

Not everyone likes to put color on the lower lash line, which is space directly below the lower waterline. Some prefer just a thin line of eyeliner that expands across both the inner and outer lower lash lines. I often use the 219 brush to apply pops of color; usually, a lighter color that is similar to the colors used on the lids is applied to the inner lower lash line.

Outer Lower Lash Line

Similarly to the inner lower lash line, I again apply a thin line of color using the 219 to the outer lower lash line. There are times where I might even split the lower lash line into thirds, and it just means that there is a middle part of the lower lash line for application. When it comes to smoky eyes, to “smoke out” the look, one applies a darker color to the outer lower lash line or goes for thicker eyeliner and smudges it out around the outer lower lash line.

Upper Lashes

They are not labeled, but I do hope that the majority know where to find these (though explained earlier!). Most makeup users will apply at least one coat of mascara in either brown or black. Brown mascara is more natural and less dramatic, while black can still be natural, but too many coats or using an amplifing mascara will give you dramatic lashes (but hey, I always want these, so there’s no shame in never going au natural on the lashes!). I look up and bring the wand closest to the roots of the lashes and comb it upwards. Sometimes I wiggle, sometimes I turn the brush as I move upwards it just depends on the mascara.

Lower Lashes

These are the shorter lashes found beneath your eyeball. I always like to give them a quick coat of mascara after I finish doing my upper lashes, because then they’re blacker and stand out a touch. The best way I’ve found to apply mascara to the lower lashes is to use a mascara wand that is not huge and burly it is a small space, and why do you want to get mascara all over your face? Since I do not even need a super duper mascara, I may use a lesser, but still black, mascara to coat them. Look up and lightly tap the mascara wand to the lashes. I usually just move the wand from side to side, rather than up and down like my upper lashes because I find it coats them to deepen color, slightly lengthen, and that’s all I need.

These steps were used from the website : Temptalia
I have placed it in a URL since you might prefer reading it off the actual site. But I thought it was a very in depth tutorial explaining about the areas of the eye which are used to blend and where to put the actual colours. Quite a few don't generally know where some of the colours go or at least what colour goes on what area of the eye to make it appear more dramatic.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 39
can anyone reccomend a good foundation for really pale skin that won't fall off my face halfway through the day?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending