The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Does Lancaster Uni have a good nightlife?

Hi, I went to lancaster open day today, really liked it and liked the campus layout and loved the course. Only thing putting me off is the nightlife, they said there were a fair few clubs and transport to them etc but they keep reffearing to nights out in Manchester. I live in Manchester and I really wouldnt do that journey on a night out, unless the nightlife there is THAT bad. Any students at Lancaster now that can give me their opinion on nightlife etc or if there are many parties on campus seeing as the bars shut at 11 apparently? Im really not into the pub scence im more of a club person and tbh Manchesters nightlifes perfect for me (I dont like Manchester uni)

Should I let this effect whether i choose lancaster or a uni in a large city? e.g Liverpool, Sheffield, Newcastle

P.s new to the student room so i might stuggle with threads

Scroll to see replies

You don't need to go to Manchester. However, you can. The train takes 1 hour so it is doable. The LGBTQ put on trips to Canal Trip a few times a year, as there isn't much of a scene in Lancaster. However, I don't know anyone who has opted to travel so far for just your usual night clubbing. :smile:

There are clubs in Lancaster and you can find cheap/popular places to go pretty much every night. Eg, Wednesday night is Carleton night. It is always a good night. :smile:

Flat parties are quite common.

If you think you would favour a larger city, take a look at some of the city universities. That way, you can make an informed decision as to whether you are willing to opt for Lancaster with its pros/cons or not. :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Lancaster's night-life doesn't really compare to, say, Birmingham's. But most people find that the student atmosphere in Lancaster makes up for the fewer bars/pubs/clubs and the relative lack of variety.

There is a specific place where most people go to each night of the week (either because it's the "in" place or because there are drinks offers/free transport). E.g. Sugarhouse/Cuba/Elements on a Friday, Revs/Elements on a Monday/the Carleton in Morecambe on a Wednesday. You can often get transport for free and the nights tend to be cheaper than in big cities.

It shouldn't stop you coming if Lancaster Uni. is the right place for you. You will have a good time :smile: With good friends and enough alcohol you will have a mint time :smile:
Reply 3
It's more about the people than the place on a night anyway. The clubs in Lancaster aren't amazing but there are a few. And if you have enough drinks I'm sure you'll have a great time anyway.

I took a while to warm to the sugarhouse but last year I seemed to be there at least twice a week and loved it. Hard to pinpoint why, that one, but I just did.
Reply 4
Lancaster has good but not great nightlife. Sugarhouse, Hustle, Revolution are all semi-decent places. Personally I prefer getting wasted in a pub first and then going out as the main night clubs, Toast and Elements are terrible.
There's a good mix of people at Lancaster so, from personal experience, the night life can often be created by an environment of good people, and not 200 Tiger Tigers.
Reply 6
There's something for everyone's tastes. Whether it be a club till the wee hours, s****y bar or a more traditional pub.
There will be nights that accommodate to your music tastes too, just find the venue and the day!

I've never felt the need to go to manchester or liverpool for nights out.
Reply 7
I come from Manchester myself but I love Lancaster almost more then i do Manchester when it comes to nightlife, theres no dress codes, no being to careful, its awesome, I wouldnt worry about it, ive been to Manchester on nights out twice whilst being at Uni and its nothing major, I wouldnt let it spoil your choice anyway

Pete
County Ed/Welfare
Does Lancaster ever feel disconnected or claustrophobic? I'm applying for 2012 entry, and I'm worried that the university is a bit cut off from the rest of the world and too concentrated in a small town. Does the fact that it's a rural university affect the social life at all?
Original post by DoubleNegative
Does Lancaster ever feel disconnected or claustrophobic? I'm applying for 2012 entry, and I'm worried that the university is a bit cut off from the rest of the world and too concentrated in a small town. Does the fact that it's a rural university affect the social life at all?

I did voluntary work in Galgate. I had a job in Morecambe. I went shooting in Dolphinholme. Etc. You can live in the Lancaster campus bubble if you so choose, otherwise, you can be as connected and intergrated with the wider society as you wish. :smile:

Lancaster is surrounded by some beautiful rural and coastal areas. There truly are some stunning walks. [I'd definitely recommend walking into Galgate along the country lane and then joining the canal to walk into Lancaster - it is around 8 miles but is very beautiful.] However, it is not really a 'rural' university. Lancaster city centre is less than 3 miles from campus as there are housing estates and shops much closer to campus from that. Lancaster is well connected in terms of rail links - Manchester, Edinburgh and London trains are all pretty frequent. Plus, on a bus straight from campus, you can get to Garstang, Preston, Blackpool, Morecambe etc without even having to change bus. :smile:

The social life is pretty good. There are student nights every night of the week either in Lancaster or at the Carleton in Morecambe. As it is a campus university, some of the biggest club nights run buses direct from campus to save you needing a taxi. :smile:
I was worried about this too - I did the same, i went on the 24th and loved it, but the only thing that plays on my mind is being a bit isolated. From what I've seen on this thread, people make do with nightclubs and bars, even if there are better places that they'd rather be.

What about shops though, for food and things? And also for clothes? As it is 3 miles from town, do you just buy food there and catch the bus back to campus?
x
Original post by lottielouise
I was worried about this too - I did the same, i went on the 24th and loved it, but the only thing that plays on my mind is being a bit isolated. From what I've seen on this thread, people make do with nightclubs and bars, even if there are better places that they'd rather be.

What about shops though, for food and things? And also for clothes? As it is 3 miles from town, do you just buy food there and catch the bus back to campus?
x

For food:
- Sainsbury's Lancaster [next to the bus station]
- Booths Lancaster [in Hala, half way between campus and town]
- Somerfield/Co-Op Lancaster [next to the bus station]
- Asda Morecambe [on the road out of Lancaster, over the bridge - bus/walk or two buses from campus]
- Sainsbury's Morecambe [bigger store on way into Morecambe - 2A stops outside]
- Tesco Morecambe [in the shopping precinct - one bus from campus 3]
- Morrison's Morecambe [seafront - one bus from campus 3]
- Aldi Morecambe [sea front - one bus from campus 3]
- Independent shops in Lancaster including a vegetarian coop [Single Step Cooperative], a Thai supermarket, a Chinese supermarket, bi-weekly food market etc.

Shops:
You have all the usual high street shops. Eg, Next, New Look, River Island, BHS, Marks & Spencers, Ann Summers, Wilkinsons, Boots, Superdrug, Holland & Barrett, TK Maxx, Argos, The Works, Home Bargains, Waterstones, WHSmiths etc etc.
Plus the indoor market, the bi-weekly outdoor market, a vintage indoor market selling period clothes and jewellery, small boutique shops/independent stores.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
honest opinion, from my varied nightlife experiences the nightlife in lancaster is the worst and sugarhouse is the worst club i ve ever been to in my life, but its a small place u need to remember dt, u aint gonna get like fancy mahiki clubs around in lancaster, but with the copious amount of cheap alcohol and friends u will have a good time. peronally i just hate the music scene in lancaster, most of them is too cheesy and repitetive so u need to get smashed most of the time to have a good time. best nights in lancaster is the latino nights at dalton rooms.
Original post by affinity89
I did voluntary work in Galgate. I had a job in Morecambe. I went shooting in Dolphinholme. Etc. You can live in the Lancaster campus bubble if you so choose, otherwise, you can be as connected and intergrated with the wider society as you wish. :smile:

Lancaster is surrounded by some beautiful rural and coastal areas. There truly are some stunning walks. [I'd definitely recommend walking into Galgate along the country lane and then joining the canal to walk into Lancaster - it is around 8 miles but is very beautiful.] However, it is not really a 'rural' university. Lancaster city centre is less than 3 miles from campus as there are housing estates and shops much closer to campus from that. Lancaster is well connected in terms of rail links - Manchester, Edinburgh and London trains are all pretty frequent. Plus, on a bus straight from campus, you can get to Garstang, Preston, Blackpool, Morecambe etc without even having to change bus. :smile:

The social life is pretty good. There are student nights every night of the week either in Lancaster or at the Carleton in Morecambe. As it is a campus university, some of the biggest club nights run buses direct from campus to save you needing a taxi. :smile:

Sounds good. :smile: I'm definitely up for getting involved - I'm too much of a live wire to do next to nothing like some students. :tongue:
From what I've seen, most people seem satisfied with the nightlife. It looks like a marmite uni, people love it or hate it, and it seems to be a uni that you can make into whatever you want/need, which is great. I'm becoming more confident with my choice cos I really like the personal aspects of the uni, the college system, and the general profile of the pubs and clubs (I love cheesey music, alternative, RnB and themed nights are hilarious). Not to mention the fact that growing up in the country outside of Newcastle I love rain and I can't imagine being anywhere without a few hills. :smile: I'm glad you mentioned the high street shops, I was worried there was gonna be nothing like that in such a small city, and I like going for a browse.
Thanks for all your help, it's really helped with my decision! :biggrin:
Original post by affinity89
For food:
- Sainsbury's Lancaster [next to the bus station]
- Booths Lancaster [in Hala, half way between campus and town]
- Somerfield/Co-Op Lancaster [next to the bus station]
- Asda Morecambe [on the road out of Lancaster, over the bridge - bus/walk or two buses from campus]
- Sainsbury's Morecambe [bigger store on way into Morecambe - 2A stops outside]
- Tesco Morecambe [in the shopping precinct - one bus from campus 3]
- Morrison's Morecambe [seafront - one bus from campus 3]
- Aldi Morecambe [sea front - one bus from campus 3]
- Independent shops in Lancaster including a vegetarian coop [Single Step Cooperative], a Thai supermarket, a Chinese supermarket, bi-weekly food market etc.

Shops:
You have all the usual high street shops. Eg, Next, New Look, River Island, BHS, Marks & Spencers, Ann Summers, Wilkinsons, Boots, Superdrug, Holland & Barrett, TK Maxx, Argos, The Works, Home Bargains, Waterstones, WHSmiths etc etc.
Plus the indoor market, the bi-weekly outdoor market, a vintage indoor market selling period clothes and jewellery, small boutique shops/independent stores.

thats put my mind at ease - i won't starve or be naked! thank you very much :smile:
Pretty much like every other person I'm really scared that Lancaster's going to be dead isolated. I really liked the campus, love the course, and I've had an offer thats hopefully do-able, so I'm really considering it is an option, but in terms of social life and stuff I'm scared its a) too quiet and b) not varied enough. I live in Manchester, and so obviously the nightlife here is amazing and varied and you can go to different places every time you go out. I prefer music bars, comedy clubs, pubs etc and casual drinking to clubs, though I'm looking forward to getting more into the clubbing scene, but I don't really want to end up in a quiet place where i'll have to make a huge effort to get places and do things (because I know I won't end up making the effort, serious case of *laziness* haha)

Lancaster students must be so bored of answering this type of questionn - sorryy:wink:
Original post by mancuniangirl
Pretty much like every other person I'm really scared that Lancaster's going to be dead isolated. I really liked the campus, love the course, and I've had an offer thats hopefully do-able, so I'm really considering it is an option, but in terms of social life and stuff I'm scared its a) too quiet and b) not varied enough. I live in Manchester, and so obviously the nightlife here is amazing and varied and you can go to different places every time you go out. I prefer music bars, comedy clubs, pubs etc and casual drinking to clubs, though I'm looking forward to getting more into the clubbing scene, but I don't really want to end up in a quiet place where i'll have to make a huge effort to get places and do things (because I know I won't end up making the effort, serious case of *laziness* haha)

Lancaster students must be so bored of answering this type of questionn - sorryy:wink:

I'm not hugely into the music scene so I can't really help that much but I know that The Yorkshire House does have bands there most weeks and there are often various bands and DJs in one of the campus bars. I'm sure if you looked you'd find more going on but I'm not really bothered by it.
Comedy clubs, can't think of any off the top of my head but I know that Cartmel and maybe one other college do have comedy nights every now and then, they do get some decent comedians too.
Pubs, you've got a lot to choose from, on campus half a dozen of the college bars are suitable for going for a relaxed pint with mates and there are loads of pubs in town to go to.
Clubbing isn't great but if you go to the right place on the right night then it is usually decent, and if you've never really been into clubbing it's a good place as you're not going to be overwhelmed by it as it's not like a big city where the second you step out of a club you're surrounded by hundreds of people.
Original post by mackemforever
I'm not hugely into the music scene so I can't really help that much but I know that The Yorkshire House does have bands there most weeks and there are often various bands and DJs in one of the campus bars. I'm sure if you looked you'd find more going on but I'm not really bothered by it.
Comedy clubs, can't think of any off the top of my head but I know that Cartmel and maybe one other college do have comedy nights every now and then, they do get some decent comedians too.
Pubs, you've got a lot to choose from, on campus half a dozen of the college bars are suitable for going for a relaxed pint with mates and there are loads of pubs in town to go to.
Clubbing isn't great but if you go to the right place on the right night then it is usually decent, and if you've never really been into clubbing it's a good place as you're not going to be overwhelmed by it as it's not like a big city where the second you step out of a club you're surrounded by hundreds of people.

I think the Borough do regular comedy nights too. :smile:
Reply 18
I would say for what it is, a small town, Lancaster has a good number of bars and clubs and nights out can be good here. However, if you are a city person and enjoy the hustle and bustle and convenience of a big city, then I would really look into Lancaster more carefully- I really struggle with the isolation of campus (and I have a job off campus) and miss everything about a big city. There is literally one 'main' night every night, as opposed to big cities where several clubs have nights on every night. If you don't mind a smaller place then Lancaster is great, but I was used to living in a big city and coming here has been a bit of a shock- and not a pleasant one. That's just my opinion anyway :smile:
Original post by star725
I would say for what it is, a small town, Lancaster has a good number of bars and clubs and nights out can be good here. However, if you are a city person and enjoy the hustle and bustle and convenience of a big city, then I would really look into Lancaster more carefully- I really struggle with the isolation of campus (and I have a job off campus) and miss everything about a big city. There is literally one 'main' night every night, as opposed to big cities where several clubs have nights on every night. If you don't mind a smaller place then Lancaster is great, but I was used to living in a big city and coming here has been a bit of a shock- and not a pleasant one. That's just my opinion anyway :smile:

I'm scared that I might be like this. I live in Manchester at the minute, and the thought of moving to somewhere campus based especially not within a big city seems scary! Not just in terms of nights out, but in terms of days out and the general feel too, I love going into Manchester, being part of a huge crowd and mass of people!

Where are you from?

Quick Reply

Latest