The Student Room Group

Which branch of physics pays the most?

What aspect of physics should I study in university if I want to get a job that pays well? I would really like to study particle physics but i don't mind studying something else if particle physics doesn't pay well. Also any of you agree with this - http://www.science20.com/quantum_diaries_survivor/particle_physics_2020

I'm not into physics for the money but I don't want to get paid so little that I have to get another job if i want to live a normal life.
(edited 12 years ago)
If you want to earn good money you don't stay in physics. Physics leaves you with a pretty valuable and broad skill set, there are plenty of job areas outside physics you can enter with a physics degree.
Reply 2
Original post by doggyfizzel
If you want to earn good money you don't stay in physics. Physics leaves you with a pretty valuable and broad skill set, there are plenty of job areas outside physics you can enter with a physics degree.

Mind giving me a list of those jobs? I know engineering is one of them that's the only one i ever hear.
Original post by osake
Mind giving me a list of those jobs? I know engineering is one of them that's the only one i ever hear.
As Marc Fiorano said there plenty of roles that are in physics but not in academia, working for private companies. With you research directed more towards applications they require.

Plenty of people go into Investment Banking various areas, this is one of the areas where the money is good, or as has been said Hedge Funds if you have a PhD. Then there are various engineering type firms, I've heard things like BAE systems and even F1 teams. Then there are jobs with companies like Shell or BP. Its not a field which leads to a definite career outside study but your modules choices and further study areas will lead you towards a certain path, but with a good degree from a good university you will be able to get a good wage by nearly any standard.
Reply 4
Original post by osake
What aspect of physics should I study in university if I want to get a job that pays well? I would really like to study particle physics but i don't mind studying something else if particle physics doesn't pay well. Also any of you agree with this - http://www.science20.com/quantum_diaries_survivor/particle_physics_2020

I'm not into physics for the money but I don't want to get paid so little that I have to get another job if i want to live a normal life.

A good+heavy math combination will pay you more because then you can go in the IB sector :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending