The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Woot woot got A* for my extended project today. :smile:
Original post by xXHD-LoverXx

Oooh Well Done! :biggrin: :woo:
Original post by lessQQmorepewpew
i need to find a topic for my epq and get a first draft completed before i go back. i'm hoping to do history and politics or politics and international relations so i think a good topic would be isreali foreign policy. however i'm not sure how i can word the question. can anyone help :smile: ?

I'd probably look at a particular event, either in Israel or world wide, and its effect on Israeli foreign policy. :smile: I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find one for Israel. :tongue:
Everyone from my year that did the EPQ had their grades dropped by 3 grades. I went from an A to a D. How great.. :frown:
Reply 2004
how many marks was the ocr one out of?
Reply 2005
Heya everyone! :smile:

I am doing an EPQ level 3 as a 5000 word essay on nursing.
I've had no advice from teachers and I'm really stuck.
How should I start my essay or structure it?

Thanks everyone :smile:!
Reply 2006
Original post by xXHD-LoverXx

How many points did you get? I got an A, wondering how far off I was :P
I started my EPQ this summer, now at 4,500 ish words, the project is due 19th of September. Will I get my results before I submit my UCAS? If not, will I be able to update it once I receive my results?

Same with AQA BACC? If anyone knows

Well done to everyone who got good results!
Reply 2008
Got my title, just don't know how to start my essay :confused:
Reply 2009
I am going to start an extended project in September and i have a few ideas of what i could go with:
1. History of Computers
2. Computing and the Law
3. Ethical problems shown on films e.g. Homophobia, sexism, racism (How could i title this?)
4. Modern attitudes compared to past attitudes e.g. Changes in social acceptance

Does anyone have any ideas?
(I will be doing this along side my A2 courses)
I can't offer you much advice about your subject choice, but I've just received an A* grade for my extended project and can thoroughly recommend it - as long as you're prepared to put in the effort.

Choose the subject that interests you most - it doesn't matter too much how it fits with your university course, as the EPQ demonstrates your independent research skills and discipline more than anything.
Reply 2011
Original post by alexmagpie
I can't offer you much advice about your subject choice, but I've just received an A* grade for my extended project and can thoroughly recommend it - as long as you're prepared to put in the effort.

Choose the subject that interests you most - it doesn't matter too much how it fits with your university course, as the EPQ demonstrates your independent research skills and discipline more than anything.

Ahh thanks, i was thinking of doing an ICT related course in university, would it be ok if i did a project which was not related?
Original post by kw316
Ahh thanks, i was thinking of doing an ICT related course in university, would it be ok if i did a project which was not related?

There are pros and cons either way - if you do something related it demonstrates a real interest in the subject, and is something to talk about at interview. If you don't do something related, then you're demonstrating a breadth of interest outside of your degree, which is always a good thing to make you seem like more of a person, and you're still demonstrating that you can knuckle down to research and write the project (skills universities look for in all applicants).

Mine was related to my degree, but plenty of my friends' projects weren't, so it doesn't really matter too much

:smile:
There are pros and cons either way - if you do something related it demonstrates a real interest in the subject, and is something to talk about at interview. If you don't do something related, then you're demonstrating a breadth of interest outside of your degree, which is always a good thing to make you seem like more of a person, and you're still demonstrating that you can knuckle down to research and write the project (skills universities look for in all applicants).

Mine was related to my degree, but plenty of my friends' projects weren't, so it doesn't really matter too much

If you don't mind me asking, what was your question?
Original post by Americaniamh
If you don't mind me asking, what was your question?

It's a very long title, but in a nutshell it was autism, and how the biological causes have worked in connection with socio-economic factors to affect prevalence rates

It's a very long title, but in a nutshell it was autism, and how the biological causes have worked in connection with socio-economic factors to affect prevalence rates

And, how have they (affected prevalence rate)?

What are the biological causes, and what are the socio-economic factors (if any)?

Whose work did you cite/refer to?
Reply 2016
Original post by Trixy.Sam
Heya for your title i thought that I would give you the advice my teacher gave me last year. She said to make the title a controversial statement, so for example 'Bankers on Wall Street are to blame for the 2008 financial crisis. To what extent is this true.' Or to choose a factor and say something like 'x is the most important reason for the financial crisis. To what extent is this a fair judgement'..

She said to do it that way because it ensures that you analyse throughout, as you dont want it to be mere description.

Hi, i'm doing the EP in March and I'm thinking of my topic.

I was thinking on the lines of...
'How have recent governments affected child and elderly welfare?'

Something on the lines of that.I want to make it more controveersial, could u help?
Original post by faithxfaye
Hi, i'm doing the EP in March and I'm thinking of my topic.

I was thinking on the lines of...
'How have recent governments affected child and elderly welfare?'

Something on the lines of that.I want to make it more controveersial, could u help?

How about:

'Recent governments have hindered the effectiveness of social welfare for children and the elderly'. Discuss?
Has anyone done EPQ's based upon film? I want to do a essay around the title of "Cinematography was more significant to the narrative of the films within the silent era." but I am not sure if this too broad a title. Can anyone give me any advice on more suitable titles?
Reply 2019
How many pages of notes do people plan to make? 5000 words is about 10 pages typed up. So, should the aim be to make more notes than the final number of pages? Or less?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending