The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChangedMyMind
Were you rejected last year because of that? What kind of WE have you done if you don't me nosily asking? :wink:

Well, the big long story is that I didn't get any. I still haven't had any. Apparently because I'm not some 17 year old kid, they "do not have the facilities to accommodate me". Yeah, my zimmer tends to get in the ****ing way.

But it was just so ridiculous: I literally gave up my life last year to resit all my Highers, volunteered in a hospital, I work part-time in Starbucks plus my responsibilities as a parent as well. There is actually only so much I can do, so I don't understand why they are getting their knickers in a twist over WE. I know what the job entails, trust me, I answered everything else correctly. Just give me a chance to do it! ARGH! :zomg:

The most ironic thing is that my feedback from Dundee showed my commitment to medicine to be above and beyond anyone else. FFS. :facepalm:
Reply 61
Original post by amazin_sk8a_dude
YAYY! Looking forward to apply, got my UKCAT in 2 weeks. :eek:

Good Luck mate ! just go for it when you are in he test. Have you been preparing a lot ?
Original post by Harbour Seal
Well, the big long story is that I didn't get any. I still haven't had any. Apparently because I'm not some 17 year old kid, they "do not have the facilities to accommodate me". Yeah, my zimmer tends to get in the ****ing way.

But it was just so ridiculous: I literally gave up my life last year to resit all my Highers, volunteered in a hospital, I work part-time in Starbucks plus my responsibilities as a parent as well. There is actually only so much I can do, so I don't understand why they are getting their knickers in a twist over WE. I know what the job entails, trust me, I answered everything else correctly. Just give me a chance to do it! ARGH! :zomg:

The most ironic thing is that my feedback from Dundee showed my commitment to medicine to be above and beyond anyone else. FFS. :facepalm:

Well best of luck for this year. I know what you mean about the work experience problems - I am a mature student as well and am facing the same problems. I have been able to secure some at a sort of hospital/nursing home and hopefully through the voluntary service manager at NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde. But I won't start either till at least mid-September!

Good luck! Hope we both make it for 2012!
Hi :smile:

I live just outside of London and never considered Scottish universities previously just because it's so far... However, with disappointing AS results I've begun looking at more unis and I'm really interested in Glasgow. I've never been to Scotland so I don't really know what it's like and how well I'd adjust...
How's Glasgow to live in? Is it a student friendly place?

Also, does anyone know how Glasgow look at AS results? I got AABC (Eng lit, bio, chem, phys) which isn't good... I did get 9 A* and 1 A (drama) at GCSE though... And I have good work exp, extra curriculars etc...
Do I have a fair chance?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by mementomori

I live just outside of London and never considered Scottish universities previously just because it's so far... However, with disappointing AS results I've begun looking at more unis and I'm really interested in Glasgow. I've never been to Scotland so I don't really know what it's like and how well I'd adjust...

Also, does anyone know how Glasgow look at AS results? I got AABC (Eng lit, bio, chem, phys) which isn't good... I did get 9 A* and 1 A (drama) at GCSE though... And I have good work exp, extra curriculars etc...
Do I have a fair chance?

I can't comment on the AS results thing (though I think the admissions lady told an english applicant on the open-day they didnt look at them - but double check that).

As for Glasgow, I live just outside it and just graduated from Strathclyde the other big Glasgow university. It is a great city - with an outstanding nightlife. I have had nights out in most UK cities and Glasgow is one of the best! It is also great for shopping, there are loads of cafes and restauraunts. Glasgow university is also based in the west end of Glasgow which is a bit more upmarket and the bars etc are more expensive but you can jump in a taxi to the city centre and its cheaper there. Personally though I would normally hang out in the west end - though I am a little older and I know most younger people tend to go into the city centre.

I would strongly recommend Glasgow to anyone!! :smile:

Do I have a fair chance?

They do most of their interview selection based on UKCAT and personal statement as far as I understand.

After that I think it's a "Blank Slate" so you're selected based on interview.
That's as far as I understand it,
Hope I helped.
I can't comment on the AS results thing (though I think the admissions lady told an english applicant on the open-day they didnt look at them - but double check that).

As for Glasgow, I live just outside it and just graduated from Strathclyde the other big Glasgow university. It is a great city - with an outstanding nightlife. I have had nights out in most UK cities and Glasgow is one of the best! It is also great for shopping, there are loads of cafes and restauraunts. Glasgow university is also based in the west end of Glasgow which is a bit more upmarket and the bars etc are more expensive but you can jump in a taxi to the city centre and its cheaper there. Personally though I would normally hang out in the west end - though I am a little older and I know most younger people tend to go into the city centre.

I would strongly recommend Glasgow to anyone!! :smile:

Ah that sounds really great, thank you! :smile:
Original post by joemullally
They do most of their interview selection based on UKCAT and personal statement as far as I understand.

Hope I helped.

Oh ok that's awesome, I have my UKCAT on Monday so really need that to go well. Thank you :smile:

Do I have a fair chance?

Original post by joemullally

Hope I helped.

Glasgow is fabulous and has the usual bars, restaurants, clubs, cinemas and also great architecture, museums etc. I would suggest you take a trip up to an Open Day at the university to get a feel for it.

No idea about AS grades but checking with admissions would be your best bet.

As for selection for interview, it is entirely down to you meeting the academic requirements and then having a UKCAT score in the top 800 of the applicant pool. Once at the interview, the interviewers use your PS and reference to guide their questions.

Best of luck!
Reply 69

Do I have a fair chance?

I'm from London and I have to say the people in Glasgow are so much friendlier than us poor sods in the south. It also has the best shopping outside London and is much cheaper to live in. There are 3 universities so it is defo a student city ! The pubs are amazing and the clubs as well. We just got our freshers week calendar and it looks amazing haha. I want to do everything on that list. Also the uni looks like hogwarts. That's is all =P

regarding your grades .. I say drop physics and if you get predicted an A in Chem then retake some Chem modules and apply. Do all your retakes in jan and if you can some A2s so June isn't that heavy :smile: no one knows the ukcat cut off point but as long as you get above 660 I think you should Defo apply. That's not fact just opinion. Top 800 get interviewed and the more extra circ stuff you do I guess the more things they can talk about in the interview. Mine went smoothly and they asked me some standard questions about medicine, the structure and how long it takes to become a GP etc. Also asked me about my volunteering and W.E .. And randomly about Football haha

Any more questions don't be afraid to ask

Ps sorry for the atrocious grammar and spelling. Typing this on my phone lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by G550NDH
I'm from London and I have to say the people in Glasgow are so much friendlier than us poor sods in the south. It also has the best shopping outside London and is much cheaper to live in. There are 3 universities so it is defo a student city ! The pubs are amazing and the clubs as well. We just got out freshers week calendar and it looks amazing haha. I wasn't to do everything on that list. Also the uni looks like hogwarts. That's is all =P

regarding your grades .. I say drop physics and if you get predicted an A in Chem then retake some Chem modules and apply. Do all your retakes in jan and if you can some A2s so June isn't that heavy :smile: no one knows the ukcat cut off point but as long as you get above 660 I think you should Defo apply. That's not fact just opinion. Top 800 get interviewed and the more extra circ stuff you do I guess the more things they can talk about in the interview. Mine went smoothly and they asked me some standard questions about medicine, the structure and how long it takes to become a GP etc. Also asked me about my volunteering and W.E .. And randomly about Football haha

A lot of people are generally speaking.

No one in London says hi to each other on the street.
If you speak on the bus they look at you like a nutter (especially if you speak your own language, I was speaking welsh with my mum and people on the tube were like shuffling away from us)
It's a very hostile place
But I have to say, once they break down those barriers the people are allright.

And everyone I've ever met from glasgow is a legend,
I've never been there but I hope that the people I know are a good representation.

And
sweetchilli

I will go to check out all my uni's if I can fit it around work.
But i've heard from very reliable accounts that Glasgow is a fantastic city.
Original post by G550NDH
I'm from London and I have to say the people in Glasgow are so much friendlier than us poor sods in the south. It also has the best shopping outside London and is much cheaper to live in. There are 3 universities so it is defo a student city ! The pubs are amazing and the clubs as well. We just got our freshers week calendar and it looks amazing haha. I want to do everything on that list. Also the uni looks like hogwarts. That's is all =P

Oh ok that was really helpful thank you! It sounds really brilliant.

Yeah I always planned to drop physics anyway, and I'm going to retake the chem module in Jan, cause it was just one paper that let me down... My UKCAT's on Monday so fingers crossed I do well in that haha.

I had a question but I've completely forgotten it...
Oh yes, I've had a look on the website about the course structure and they do mention that they do a mixture of PBL, lectures and tutorials... But do you know if it's equal or is there more weight on PBL/lectures?
Oh ok that was really helpful thank you! It sounds really brilliant.

Yeah I always planned to drop physics anyway, and I'm going to retake the chem module in Jan, cause it was just one paper that let me down... My UKCAT's on Monday so fingers crossed I do well in that haha.

I had a question but I've completely forgotten it...
Oh yes, I've had a look on the website about the course structure and they do mention that they do a mixture of PBL, lectures and tutorials... But do you know if it's equal or is there more weight on PBL/lectures?

I don't know about the lectures but there is one 2 hour PBL session a week for the first 10 weeks and then its 2 sessions per week after that. They also do proper dissection apparently.
Original post by Braddd
Oh god... I've just realised that it's less than two months till the deadline...

Honestly, after getting my results this year, if I'm going to get in anywhere it's gonna be Glasgow. I have the minimum requirements and everything but I only got ABB in my AHs and basically all the re-applicants are going to have AAA. It's good that Glasgow don't look at your grades once you get the entry requirements.

Just this UKCAT to worry about now (and then obviously personal statement). I'm just hoping that I get the cut-off this year. I was dying last year when I came out the test center and realised I was below the cut-off. I haven't even booked it yet or started studying for it. I think I'm just trying to put it off for long as I can...Bad idea I know....

I have so much to do before the deadline. I hate that I only get the motivation to do anything about it though at this time of night... *sigh*

:ditto: I'm worried that I won't get everything done in time or that my UKCAT and PS will be utter crap! I only randomly start to get ideas for my personal statement once I've gone to bed:frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ScottishShortiex
:ditto: I'm worried that I won't get everything done in time or that my UKCAT and PS will be utter crap! I only randomly start to get ideas for my personal statement once I've gone to bed:frown:

I am working on mine right now... not much fun!
I am working on mine right now... not much fun!

I can imagine...I really need to start it soon!
Original post by ScottishShortiex
I can imagine...I really need to start it soon!

Good luck :smile:
Hi everyone!
I was wondering roughly what Glasgow looks for in terms of Medical work experience. I've only managed to organise one 3-day placement in a hospital so far and I am aware that time before UCAS submissions is running out! I know that Dundee recommends you find at least 2 weeks worth of experience and was wondering if Glasgow had similar ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Good luck :smile:

Thanks, you too :smile:
Reply 79
i got 665 in my ukcat - 50 more than the cut-off last year. Do you think it would be worth applying?

Quick Reply