The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
gethsemane342
You can only apply for one course at Cambridge so that part's true. However, if you were to get rejected and then decide to reapply after you get your A level results, there'd be nothing stopping you from doing so (assuming you're not going to uni already). I believe quite a few people do that and quite successfully too. So basically, you can only apply once in a given admissions cycle but can try again if you were rejected, in the next round.

Thanks a lot!
Hello, I've just finished my first year at college. I currently take Maths, Further Maths, Physics & Economics have predicted A's (95%+ in each). I would like to apply to Cambridge for Mathematics.

My question is would you suggest me to drop a subject (Economics) or not? Because in my second year I would like to do AS & A2 Chinese as well as AS Further Maths Additional. Also this is give me extra time to prepare for STEP and Interview.

What I'm afraid of is that Cambridge would think I'm taking 3 as I cannot enroll into my college for A-Level Chinese. Also my A-level are a bit low...

Thank You!
Reply 22
jackey123321
Hello, I've just finished my first year at college. I currently take Maths, Further Maths, Physics & Economics have predicted A's (95%+ in each). I would like to apply to Cambridge for Mathematics.

My question is would you suggest me to drop a subject (Economics) or not? Because in my second year I would like to do AS & A2 Chinese as well as AS Further Maths Additional. Also this is give me extra time to prepare for STEP and Interview.

What I'm afraid of is that Cambridge would think I'm taking 3 as I cannot enroll into my college for A-Level Chinese. Also my A-level are a bit low...

Thank You!

Your A-levels are not low. That is all...
Reply 23
jackey123321

Thank You!

I'd question the need to do AS Further Maths Additional as well. I originally intended to do this, but then I realized that there's not a great deal of point expending the extra effort which could be better applied on, say, STEP preparation.

Also in what sense are your A-Levels low?
hey everybody, Im going to apply for economics at Cambridge and i am not sure about what is involved in the admission tests like: TSA, test at interview, preparatory study at interview or school/college essay. Does anyone who had experience before tell me more about those so that i can know what college i should choose when applying
phuongthaobi
hey everybody, Im going to apply for economics at Cambridge and i am not sure about what is involved in the admission tests like: TSA, test at interview, preparatory study at interview or school/college essay. Does anyone who had experience before tell me more about those so that i can know what college i should choose when applying

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/economics/tests.html

That should help :smile:
I am very fond of the theme, it helped me a lot, especially for me such a not so understand new members
Hello, some time ago I've applied to study a year in Cambridge under the Erasmus scheme (an exchange programme for European students). This week I got an email from the Cambridge International Offcie saying they received my application and will notify me at the end of August if the faculty I applied for and a College will approve.

I wondered if this is the normal procedure (I don't want so seem impatient, but it seems so lenghty.. Perhaps that is a sign they will turn me down?) and if any of you is familiar with what normally happens. What are, for example, the chances of getting in for European students?

I don't know if I'm even posting this question in the right thread - I'm sorry if I didn't - but I would be most grateful for any response!
Original post by FadedJade
X

Can I make a suggestion (sorry if it's already written down I might have missed it) that you put in that you must have predicted grades of at least A*AA for A level or AAA for advanced higher to get an interview. I applied last year and was predicted AABB in my advanced highers and was subsequently rejected pre-interview. Ironically I ended up getting AAAA so would have made an offer if I did well at interview and was given one. Just want to put it out there so others don't get rejected unfairly like I did. I'm from a state school so they weren't very aware of the application process to Cambridge so if you're from a state school make sure before your UCAS is sent off that you have high enough predictions!
Reply 29
Just a moment. I've recently caught attention on something calls BTEC. Is it essential?
Original post by alasdair1993
Can I make a suggestion (sorry if it's already written down I might have missed it) that you put in that you must have predicted grades of at least A*AA for A level or AAA for advanced higher to get an interview. I applied last year and was predicted AABB in my advanced highers and was subsequently rejected pre-interview. Ironically I ended up getting AAAA so would have made an offer if I did well at interview and was given one. Just want to put it out there so others don't get rejected unfairly like I did. I'm from a state school so they weren't very aware of the application process to Cambridge so if you're from a state school make sure before your UCAS is sent off that you have high enough predictions!

I do need to update this actually as I wrote it rather a long time ago! However unless something has changed a lot then what you described is not standard across all colleges, maybe just a few including the one you applied to. I always recommend people check any specific requirements of colleges.
Reply 31
well yeah, got my results back everything went well i guess except critical thinking :/. I got 80 in January and 58 in the summer... how badly is that going to effect my application?
Reply 32
Original post by Mari_aeterna
Hello, some time ago I've applied to study a year in Cambridge under the Erasmus scheme (an exchange programme for European students). This week I got an email from the Cambridge International Offcie saying they received my application and will notify me at the end of August if the faculty I applied for and a College will approve.

I wondered if this is the normal procedure (I don't want so seem impatient, but it seems so lenghty.. Perhaps that is a sign they will turn me down?) and if any of you is familiar with what normally happens. What are, for example, the chances of getting in for European students?

I don't know if I'm even posting this question in the right thread - I'm sorry if I didn't - but I would be most grateful for any response!

No, from what I've heard, it's normal - although I'm not an Erasmus expert. I know two people who both spent a year in Cambridge via Erasmus, though, and they didn't hear before very late, so I wouldn't worry. As for your chances, what uni are you applying from? Where are you studying, anyway?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
I just have a quick question about applying to Cambridge (also, sorry if this is the wrong forum for it).

I applied to Oxford in 2011 (History), got an interview, got rejected. M grades and exam results were predicted in 2011 to be very good (90% in IB- equivalent to A levels) plus my History Aptitude Test that I completed also in 2011 was successful too.

Anyways, now in 2012 I'm thinking about reapplying but now to Cambridge. Only problem: my REAL IB results came out not so perfect (80% in History, 96% English).

SHOULD I BOTHER APPLYING? (hoping that the HAP and the interview will balance it out?)

Again, sorry if wrong forum...
Also, should I try to sit the a level history as an external student (I'm from the Eu, outside UK) or should I just let it go?
Reply 34
Original post by IvyTiger
I just have a quick question about applying to Cambridge (also, sorry if this is the wrong forum for it).

I applied to Oxford in 2011 (History), got an interview, got rejected. M grades and exam results were predicted in 2011 to be very good (90% in IB- equivalent to A levels) plus my History Aptitude Test that I completed also in 2011 was successful too.

Anyways, now in 2012 I'm thinking about reapplying but now to Cambridge. Only problem: my REAL IB results came out not so perfect (80% in History, 96% English).

SHOULD I BOTHER APPLYING? (hoping that the HAP and the interview will balance it out?)
You can always try, why not? There are people with worse grades than you who got an interview and eventually got in, and those with better grades who got rejected... grades aren't everything. The interview can save you, definitely.

If it's your dream, I would always try it out, you have nothing to lose (except for a bit of courage of self-esteem... :tongue:). Just don't keep your expectations too high.
Reply 35
Hi, I understand that when you apply to Cambridge, you cannot apply to Oxford.
I would like to know if it is true that If you apply to Cambridge or Oxford, you only are allowed to apply to four universities as a maximum, rather than the usual five??
Original post by Tane
Hi, I understand that when you apply to Cambridge, you cannot apply to Oxford.
I would like to know if it is true that If you apply to Cambridge or Oxford, you only are allowed to apply to four universities as a maximum, rather than the usual five??

You can apply to either Cambridge or Oxford, not both.

If you apply to one or the other, then you have four choices left, since you've used up one of your five choices.
Reply 37
Thank you! So I still get to apply to five universities? That's good! Still stuck on choosing a course.
Original post by Tane
Thank you! So I still get to apply to five universities? That's good! Still stuck on choosing a course.

Five including Ox or Cam yes. :wink:
Reply 39
Hi, thank you so much! It helps alot. Just one question, when you say academic stuff, what exactly does it mean? Do my work experiences in engineering count as the academic stuff?(Im applying for chemical engineering)
I am also aware of that cambridge likes students who achieved such such medals in olympiad exams etc... but unfortunately I have none of those awards :frown: I didnt even know about them until a few months ago.... It actually makes me worry alot since I have this feeling that many applicants are better than me...
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending