Psychology at Stephenson :smile:
So Excited :biggrin:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by frodalod
Hey, Im going to Hatfield as well. Just wondering whether we need to confirm anything? What date do we need to be there for the start of freshers week? Do we need to apply for a room or is it balloted when we get there? Sorry for the questions, thanks.

Hiya! Have you got your fresher's pack yet? It tells you what to do there, otherwise look at http://www.dur.ac.uk/hatfield.college/freshers/

The start of freshers week is 2nd October and I'm pretty sure you automatically get a room, you just have to fill in the form at ^^ page and send it off. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 62
I was so scared on results day thinking I only got a B in maths meaning no Uni at all, but yet I'm going off to Grey in October doing Chemistry!
*Bets no one does the same thing there? XD*
Maybe I'll get the forms on Monday, form filling to go =P
EDIT: I hope I haven't forgotten anything, I've replied to that as12 email
Original post by pianofluteftw
And you have to buy a maths one as well I guess :/ Yeah I'm going to email them tomorrow and I'll let you know what they say! But good spot on the other Amazon one! (and it has more pages :wink: )

Cheers I'll have a look at the file later - THANK YOU :smile:

Ye, so because the amazon one is £45, its better to get that, as masterphysics itself costs £35! Could you ask how much the department will charge us to buy the textbook from them as well please?
And I don't think we will be made to buy a maths book, but I remember looking somewhere and loads of books were listed for each topic :/
Original post by LukethePianoMan
Bloody hell! That edition was only released this January, I'll have to buy it at Durham then :s-smilie:
However, I managed to download the 12th edition, would you like me to send you it?
I'm thinking of starting a file sharing group on a dropbox for maths and physics students so we can help each other out and share resources, I'll stick that on it of course!

To this discussion I'm going to add that you need Mastering Physics for a lot of 1st Year weekly problems (not sure why they don't use it at all at higher levels), but the book itself isn't hugely important - you might miss details, but there are quite a number of books that will essentially cover the same content - my year was made to buy the book by Wolfson, but most of our lecturers were still going by Tipler.

Also on Dropbox I've got a pretty comprehensive set of lectures slides/notes/handouts/past papers/etc for Third Year, though I guess that's not your immediate priority. Also on my computer some revision notes for Foundations 1, but that's not so useful.
Reply 65
So excited to be in! Doing Maths, only not sure where yet - they haven't given me a college :/ eurgh...
also, is anyone else doing maths/ knows whether we're supposed to be doing any prep before hand? :/
Original post by Awoodrow2
To this discussion I'm going to add that you need Mastering Physics for a lot of 1st Year weekly problems (not sure why they don't use it at all at higher levels), but the book itself isn't hugely important - you might miss details, but there are quite a number of books that will essentially cover the same content - my year was made to buy the book by Wolfson, but most of our lecturers were still going by Tipler.

Also on Dropbox I've got a pretty comprehensive set of lectures slides/notes/handouts/past papers/etc for Third Year, though I guess that's not your immediate priority. Also on my computer some revision notes for Foundations 1, but that's not so useful.

Apparaently the syllabus follows the University Physics Book. If you look at the topics we cover in Foundations 1, they are the same as the chapters in the book!
Apparaently the syllabus follows the University Physics Book. If you look at the topics we cover in Foundations 1, they are the same as the chapters in the book!

Well I'll be impressed if they've actually structured the course based on the textbook - most of our lecturers hadn't realised we weren't still using the old textbook.
Reply 68
Physics at HB, yay!
(well not so much the 20 min walk from the College to the Department, should have looked at geographical dispositions before applying -.-)
(edited 12 years ago)
Ye, so because the amazon one is £45, its better to get that, as masterphysics itself costs £35! Could you ask how much the department will charge us to buy the textbook from them as well please?
And I don't think we will be made to buy a maths book, but I remember looking somewhere and loads of books were listed for each topic :/

EDIT: got a reply...

"Most Level 1 (First Year) Physics courses will follow a single text book, namely “University Physics” by H. D. Young and R. A. Freedman, 13th Edition, published by Addison-Wesley. This book will be useful throughout your studies here, as will be the other set text, “Measurements and their Uncertainties”, by I. G. Hughes and T. P. A. Hase, published by Oxford. The Department will have a large number of copies of these two books for students to purchase at a reasonable price in October, and we strongly recommend that you wait until after your arrival in Durham before buying these (or any other) text books. Nevertheless, should you wish to purchase Young and Freedman in advance, it is important that you buy a copy of the International Edition of this text together with an unused student access code card to MasteringPhysics."

I'm not rushing in to buying one yet - but it would be good to know how much money I'll need!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by pianofluteftw
EDIT: got a reply...

"Most Level 1 (First Year) Physics courses will follow a single text book, namely “University Physics” by H. D. Young and R. A. Freedman, 13th Edition, published by Addison-Wesley. This book will be useful throughout your studies here, as will be the other set text, “Measurements and their Uncertainties”, by I. G. Hughes and T. P. A. Hase, published by Oxford. The Department will have a large number of copies of these two books for students to purchase at a reasonable price in October, and we strongly recommend that you wait until after your arrival in Durham before buying these (or any other) text books. Nevertheless, should you wish to purchase Young and Freedman in advance, it is important that you buy a copy of the International Edition of this text together with an unused student access code card to MasteringPhysics."

I'm not rushing in to buying one yet - but it would be good to know how much money I'll need!

Thanks for that :smile:
The link you sent me was for the hardback US edition, not the paperback international edition that I found :smile:
But they still won't tell us the 'reasonable price' of these books!! I have heard the average spend on textbooks per year per student is £200, I fear it might be more for us!
Original post by Awoodrow2
Well I'll be impressed if they've actually structured the course based on the textbook - most of our lecturers hadn't realised we weren't still using the old textbook.

And masteringphysics costs £35 on its own anyway so you may as well pay a couple of quid extra to get a brand new book with it as well :biggrin:
Reply 72
Original post by ^-^mely^-^
So excited to be in! Doing Maths, only not sure where yet - they haven't given me a college :/ eurgh...
also, is anyone else doing maths/ knows whether we're supposed to be doing any prep before hand? :/

Hi there, I'm doing Maths and I was wondering the same thing. I haven't found anything anywhere though... Perhaps they'll send us something?
Original post by frodalod
Hey, Im going to Hatfield as well. Just wondering whether we need to confirm anything? What date do we need to be there for the start of freshers week? Do we need to apply for a room or is it balloted when we get there? Sorry for the questions, thanks.

You automatically get a room. You will get sent a form asking about your sleeping patterns, music you listen to etc. If you get put in a shared room they will use this form to make sure you're with someone you get along with! :smile: I shared in first year and it was great!

X
Reply 74
Original post by queen_georgie
You automatically get a room. You will get sent a form asking about your sleeping patterns, music you listen to etc. If you get put in a shared room they will use this form to make sure you're with someone you get along with! :smile: I shared in first year and it was great!

X

ditto, absolutely dreaded being in a shared room, then got the email saying i would be sharing so we got in contact early on so we were already chatting a while before we met. got on like a house on fire! we actually didn't want to separate when it came to the next term! they're usually very good at matching people together, and its a great way to make a close friend as soon as you arrive
Reply 75
Combined Honours in Arts (English Literature and Spanish) at St. Aidan's! :smile:
Reply 76
Natural Sciences (M.Sci in CHemistry & Maths) at Van Mildert.
Apparently not many people are foolish enough to do Chemistry & Maths, so if you are then please PM me!
Hey any Physicists out there - you can join our Facebook page "Durham University Physics Freshers 2011" :smile:
Archaeology (BA) at Grey's! :smile:
Music at Van Mildert :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest