The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Extended Degree in Science hertfordshire

Hi,

i am currently studying A2, and i've applied to a foundation course at hertfordshire for this coming september, however information about the course is very limited, and i was hoping to recieve a first hand insight to just how the course works, and what are my chances of making in into the pharmacy course after completing the initial year...:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Scroll to see replies

Are you talking about the course with an extended year (year 0) or a foundation course?
If you are talking about the first one, then I can help :biggrin: (And feel free to contact me for anything regarding the foundation course)
I'm currently on the foundation course for engineering, and will be moving onto the proper course this september. Anyway, its best that first you contact the university - phoning them would be best because right about now they are dealing with uni exams, and all the A2 applications, and they can take a while to email reply sometimes; ask them if you would be able to transfer onto the pharmacy course after completing the full time course. If not, ask them if there is another foundation course that would allow you to pass onto the pharmacy course. If they would let you pass onto the pharmacy course, then thats great. All you have to do is get a certain pass mark in the initial year - for me its 55%, but for pharmacy, I would imagine it would be about 60%.
I would advise you to do that first. Then feel free to ask me anything you want to know about the course, living e.c.t. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
well, the name of the course is extended degree in science and its course code is BCF0, studied at north hertfordshire college, and i applied for it to use it as a means to get onto the pharmacy course, so when i worte my personal statment it was based on pharmacy...i just wasnt particularly sure, if they would let me onto the pharamcy course because in the prospectus it mentioned places were limited..
i also overhead, that i wouldnt be able to live on campus for that year and i wanted to know if that true aswell?:confused:
Original post by jiinks
well, the name of the course is extended degree in science and its course code is BCF0, studied at north hertfordshire college, and i applied for it to use it as a means to get onto the pharmacy course, so when i worte my personal statment it was based on pharmacy...i just wasnt particularly sure, if they would let me onto the pharamcy course because in the prospectus it mentioned places were limited..
i also overhead, that i wouldnt be able to live on campus for that year and i wanted to know if that true aswell?:confused:

Yep, extended degree is the year 0 one which I'm on :biggrin: Your best bet is phone the uni asap, then they will direct you to the right person who you can ask if you can progress onto pharmacy. Usually, the extended degrees offer plenty of options for courses to go onto, so I expect you are likely to be able to pass onto pharmacy once its completed, just double check to make sure, and even if not, they may well make an exception for you to pass onto pharmacy if you do well enough.
As for living on campus, that is correct. Its not so bad though. When you get accepte don the course, if you phone your associate college up, they have someone who will sort you out with accomodation (don't contact the uni cos they cannot help you). You can choose between either student housing or a residential. Originally i chose student housing, but because i was late getting everything sorted out, i ended up getting residential, although its honestly not as bad as you would think.
Correct me if im wrong, but North Hertfordshire college is the one in stevenage isn't it? Thats a bit better because there is a lot of student accomodation around there, which is basically the accomodation year 2 and above students stay in, but they put all the various extended year students into the same houses, so you will be with others who are also doing extended degrees :smile: Since you are in stevenage (i think) you are pretty likely to either be put in Hatifield, or in Stevenage. Then you can stay on campus like a regular year 1er when you prgress to the pharmacy course.
Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask :smile:
Reply 4
oh yeah one last question lol, erm when you started off at the college, who much did you pay for the course, like i mean do they look at as as a university course or a college course ?

also do you recieve any bursaries?
You have to pay university fees because it is a uni course, and you do labs at the uni and all the exams at the uni e.c.t which is a bit of a bummer, but you do get a bursary, as well as student finance, and sometimes if you do alright on the extended year, you can get a scholarship when you go up to the uni properly the year after. Like for me, I was one grade off my offer last year, so i had to do the extended degree, but if they had decided to accept me, I would never have got the engineering scholarship the uni offers, but on this course, I've averaged at a first in semester A, so I should get the Scholarship at the uni next year (you usually need a 2:1 in extende dyear fr scholarship), so it does actually pay for you to do the extended year cos you can end up better in the long run :smile:
Reply 6
thanks i'm getting prepared for it this year, btw how much busary did you recieve ?
Original post by jiinks
thanks i'm getting prepared for it this year, btw how much busary did you recieve ?

We received £1500, but it will go down to £1000 from this september
Reply 8
I'm being offered this course too after being 1 UMS off my math grade. How will it work in terms of tuition fees rising next year? Will I have to be paying the ridiculous 9k a year next year?
Reply 9
Original post by romy999
I'm being offered this course too after being 1 UMS off my math grade. How will it work in terms of tuition fees rising next year? Will I have to be paying the ridiculous 9k a year next year?

For the "extended" course you only pay the usual £3,500 for the whole 4 years.
Original post by romy999

That happened to me too :/ five UMS off on my bloody Physics :/

And no you dont have to pay £9000 - it will stay at the £3500 or so for you for the rest of your degree :smile: Although it will rise due to the vat or whatever its called :tongue:
Reply 11
Whats everyone planning to do regarding accommodation at North Herts College?
Original post by romy999
Whats everyone planning to do regarding accommodation at North Herts College?

If you havent applied yet, phone your college, they will pass you on to their admissions person who will probably send you a form to fill in (they did for me, but i went to HRC - NHC might do it over the phone maybe) You should get the choice of either student flats or living with a family, but if you havent already applied, you will get living with a family because the student flats go very, very quickly seeing as yr2 and above students will want them aswell

Anyway, if you have applied for it, then excuse the essay above, but if anyone hasn't got accommodation yet, do have a read of it and i hope it helps :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by dancingrobots
Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask :smile:

Hi, I'm also on the extended degree in science course and was wondering (as I am staying at the uni) if we get a freshers week. If someone who has found out or someone who's been through it could let me know............... Thanks.
Original post by smkhan
Hi, I'm also on the extended degree in science course and was wondering (as I am staying at the uni) if we get a freshers week. If someone who has found out or someone who's been through it could let me know............... Thanks.

The freshers week isn't specifically for freshers - anyone can go no matter what year you are in, soyou can go to any of the events you want :smile: just for you, the lectures will start immediately, whereas year ones have a week just to settle in and get enrolled and stuff :smile: I didn't go to any events because I lived quite far from the uni, but I know people who lived near to the uni who went to the freshers events :smile: Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by jiinks
Hi,

i am currently studying A2, and i've applied to a foundation course at hertfordshire for this coming september, however information about the course is very limited, and i was hoping to recieve a first hand insight to just how the course works, and what are my chances of making in into the pharmacy course after completing the initial year...:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Hey I'm also applying to this course hoping to progress onto pharmacy... Just wondering, have you found out about whether they'd let you progress onto pharmacy?
Reply 16
Original post by jiinks

Original post by jiinks

Hi, I have applied for the extended degree in science at herts BCF0. Are you currently on this course? If so could you explain what it's like? How is it assessed? I want to progress onto Dietetics, but I know you need to pass at a certain level to make that progression :/ i'm rather worried that I wouldn't be able to do it? Is the work hard? Are you given much support?
:frown: :frown: please help?

Thank you,
Bekah
Reply 17
Received an offer for this course! :biggrin:

I think it's best you ring the uni to just double check about the details.. Which is what I am planning on doing in a few weeks
Reply 18
Hi everyone, I got an offer for this course. What is the tuition fee for this course? It doesn't say anything about the course fee on their website.
Reply 19
Original post by Suji9015
Hi everyone, I got an offer for this course. What is the tuition fee for this course? It doesn't say anything about the course fee on their website.

the tuition fee is £5800. i got it from the UCAS website
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending