The Student Room Group

Best and worst University degrees.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Best - Engineering
Worst - Anything not from the top20
Reply 41
Original post by rlcouture
If you don't mind me asking, after your degree what job will you pursue?

I'm hoping to make the Bar, if not, then make-up artist. Like, duh.

Original post by HereBeDragons
Sarcasm Consultant.

Oh no, scratch that, this. Definitely this.
Reply 42
Original post by tez.
There's no such degree, certainly not at that particular university, he's attempting to be humourous.

I was actually trying to make a serious point, just to be clear.
Reply 43
Best: My course
Worse: Your course
Reply 44
Original post by chrislpp
Best - Engineering
Worst - Anything not from the top20

Damn, my University is ranked #21. My life is over!
Reply 45
Can't really go wrong with sciences...

Unless there's a Bunsen Burner studies degree somewhere I haven't heard about.
Reply 46
Best degrees: anything academic such as chemistry, particle physics e.t.c. As well as other degrees that allow you to work in a profession such as medicine, dentistry, vetinary science, optometry, engineering (this does NOT apply to nursing 'degrees' :rolleyes: )

Worst degrees: mickey mouse degrees especially at an expoly.
Original post by torchwood
Best degrees: anything academic such as chemistry, particle physics e.t.c. As well as other degrees that allow you to work in a profession such as medicine, dentistry, vetinary science, optometry, engineering (this does NOT apply to nursing 'degrees' :rolleyes: )

Worst degrees: mickey mouse degrees especially at an expoly.

What's wrong with a nursing degree? It's the only way to become a nurse now, Nursing is a respected proffesion and it's the career I want to do. Hospitals would not run without nurses, we have a very hard job give people who do it respect.
Reply 48
Original post by Jordenfruitbat
What's wrong with a nursing degree? It's the only way to become a nurse now, Nursing is a respected proffesion and it's the career I want to do. Hospitals would not run without nurses, we have a very hard job give people who do it respect.

I agree with the fact that they're important and it's respectable, but most the nurses arent very bright, they're quite bitchy and not very pleasant to patients. They're also quite arrogant and rude.

One example of this is when I was doing maxfax work experience, a patient had be bitten on the face by a dog. It wasn't particularly bad, I think it was just 2 deep cuts and the dentist decided to put some stitches in. He asked his nurse to get a trolley (with all the sterile stuff) and she told him off in front of the patient for not discussing it with her/asking her if it was ok for her to get the trolley. WTF?! Why should a dentist discuss treatment options with a nurse, he has to put the stitches in and the nurse can't even manage to get a trolley?! Anyway, he apologised and she then got the trolley. During lunchtime, the nurse was then boasting to the other nurses about how she told him off :angry:

As long as you're not bitchy, you should be fine.
I agree with the fact that they're important and it's respectable, but most the nurses arent very bright, they're quite bitchy and not very pleasant to patients. They're also quite arrogant and rude.

One example of this is when I was doing maxfax work experience, a patient had be bitten on the face by a dog. It wasn't particularly bad, I think it was just 2 deep cuts and the dentist decided to put some stitches in. He asked his nurse to get a trolley (with all the sterile stuff) and she told him off in front of the patient for not discussing it with her/asking her if it was ok for her to get the trolley. WTF?! Why should a dentist discuss treatment options with a nurse, he has to put the stitches in and the nurse can't even manage to get a trolley?! Anyway, he apologised and she then got the trolley. During lunchtime, the nurse was then boasting to the other nurses about how she told him off :angry:

As long as you're not bitchy, you should be fine.

Few fails about your post :tongue:

Nurses are bright actually, and needing to have a degree will stretch their intelligence.
Not all nurses are bitchy they are in the minority.
Dental nurses aren't real nurses, underpaid and not qualified.
Real nurses do most of the patient contract, care and procedures, I am a caring person and find it all interesting so yes I think I will make a good nurse.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 50
Few fails about your post :tongue:

Nurses are bright actually, and needing to have a degree will stretch their intelligence.
Not all nurses are bitchy they are in the minority.
Dental nurses aren't real nurses, underpaid and not qualified.
Real nurses do most of the patient contract, care and procedures, I am a caring person and find it all interesting so yes I think I will make a good nurse.

DeMontfort requires 240 points (CCC) or nursing, thats not bright by any measure. If they were bright the would do something like medicine, pharmacy, optometry etc.
I agree with the fact that not all nurses are bitchy but theyre the ones we notice. Im not saying that doctors are awesome as I heard about a leicester med student spitting at a demontfort nursing student on a night out - thats pretty disgusting
The one in the hospital was a general nurse.
Dental nurses have to be trained and registered with the GDC or be on a training course to work, theyre as bad as general nurses.
'Real nurses do most of the ... procedures' :lol: no, thats why we have doctors/surgeons.
DeMontfort requires 240 points (CCC) or nursing, thats not bright by any measure. If they were bright the would do something like medicine, pharmacy, optometry etc.
I agree with the fact that not all nurses are bitchy but theyre the ones we notice. Im not saying that doctors are awesome as I heard about a leicester med student spitting at a demontfort nursing student on a night out - thats pretty disgusting
The one in the hospital was a general nurse.
Dental nurses have to be trained and registered with the GDC or be on a training course to work, theyre as bad as general nurses.
'Real nurses do most of the ... procedures' :lol: no, thats why we have doctors/surgeons.

Doctors do more complicated things, but their patient contact in some places has been severely reduced, nurses can move onto prescribe and diagnose now, we don't just wipe bums, without a nurse patients would be screwed, they need nurses and doctors. I don't want to do medicine, I want to be a nurse to look after people, there are plenty of nurses who have the brains to do it but choose not too, yeah the entry point is low the reason is because most people attracted to nursing are people trying to change their career and need an easier entrance. The degree itself is very difficult and a lot of people end up dropping out because the work is to hard, dental nurses are trained but they don't train for 3 years like a proper nurse, we study work for 45 weeks of an academic year, lectures are usually from 9-5 and then we have to go out on placement and work shift hours, To get onto my degree I worked alongside my A-Levels in a hospital for 6 months, we don't just walk in, it's extremely competitive. Nursing is the most applied for degree, however Medicine is more competitive as there are less places.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
Is dental nursing that bad?.. i was considerin taking the route of going from dental nurse to dental hygienist, would it be a bad move because i was unsucessful in getting into university this year
Reply 53
Doctors do more complicated things, but their patient contact in some places has been severely reduced,
because doctors are more expensive, not because youre better

nurses can move onto prescribe and diagnose now, we don't just wipe bums, without a nurse patients would be screwed, they need nurses and doctors.
Again, its because you're cheaper. Yes the NHS needs you as well as doctors. Its a bit like construction, we need architects to design buildings and project managers to overlook the project but we also need laborers to actually do the basic work. so just like laborers without architects would be useless, nurses without doctors would be useless.

I don't want to do medicine, I want to be a nurse to look after people, there are plenty of nurses who have the brains to do it but choose not too,
yeah, you keep telling yourself that. Who would want to be a doctor's bitch when they could be the doctor? :rolleyes:

The degree itself is very difficult and a lot of people end up dropping out because the work is to hard ... we study work for 45 weeks of an academic year, lectures are usually from 9-5 and then we have to go out on placement and work shift hours
Difficulty is subjective

To get onto my degree I worked alongside my A-Levels in a hospital for 6 months, we don't just walk in, it's extremely competitive.
Not compared to other courses like medicine, dentistry, vet science, optometry, pharmacy.

Nursing is the most applied for degree, however Medicine is more competitive as there are less places.
And because its better.

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Ddreamer
Is dental nursing that bad?.. i was considerin taking the route of going from dental nurse to dental hygienist, would it be a bad move because i was unsucessful in getting into university this year

Nope, ignore Jordenfruitbat, he's a bit annoyed because he's going to be a nurse (cant really blame him). Quite a few people go into hygiene/therapy after doing dental nursing, you should check out the dentistry forum, theres a thread about hygiene/therapy - they should be able to provide more info.
Reply 55
Nope, ignore Jordenfruitbat, he's a bit annoyed because he's going to be a nurse (cant really blame him). Quite a few people go into hygiene/therapy after doing dental nursing, you should check out the dentistry forum, theres a thread about hygiene/therapy - they should be able to provide more info.

Lol bless.. Oh right okay, ill have a browse through them, thank youu for your help =)
Nope, ignore Jordenfruitbat, he's a bit annoyed because he's going to be a nurse (cant really blame him).

LOL.
Reply 57
Nope, ignore Jordenfruitbat, he's a bit annoyed because he's going to be a nurse (cant really blame him).

Ouch. 8.5/10.
Reply 58
Original post by bramz19
Ouch. 8.5/10.

:lol: I'm not a troll
Reply 59
:lol: I'm not a troll

Oh heavens no, I wasn't trying to imply that you were, I was simply rating the parring tekkers on show. Apologies for my ambiguity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending