The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine MBChB A100 Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Beauty of a med school, turned out I wasn't a fan of PBL though. Good luck, the interviews are lovely.
Can someone please explain to me what does MBChB mean, isnt it different from the other medical degreees

sorry im confused
Reply 22
Original post by The Polar Dude

Can someone please explain to me what does MBChB mean, isnt it different from the other medical degreees

sorry im confused

Just 'Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery' Sometimes the letters change depending on the university but it all means the same :smile:
Original post by Medpotter
Just 'Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery' Sometimes the letters change depending on the university but it all means the same :smile:

Ahh ok thanks, also just wandering, is having a London medical degree better than an outside London I.e Liverpool or are all medical degrees seen as the same no matter which uni/location
Reply 24

Ahh ok thanks, also just wandering, is having a London medical degree better than an outside London I.e Liverpool or are all medical degrees seen as the same no matter which uni/location

Nope all medical degrees are counted the same. When you apply for the foundation program I'm pretty sure they can't see which medical school you have come from. The only difference is in how they teach the course.
Original post by Chat-G
I may apply to liverpool! They dont have the UKCAT and they don't seem to look at grades, so do they put a lot of stress on the personal statement and extracurriculars? :smile:

Yeah that's spot on. Hobbies and work experience and the manner in which you communicate the quality of your skill-set.
I would but their requirements are AAAb, yet their offer would be AAA. I have A*A*AC... i need to phone them...
Reply 27
Original post by laurencebaker1
Just to say good luck to you guys - If I got in then you can too! If you have any questions please message me :smile:

Hello there! Congrats on your offer! :smile: Just wondering other than GCSEs what do Liverpool use to decide who to allocate interviews to? Thanks!
Reply 28
Hi, just wanted to ask whether liverpool require proof of work experience and voluntary work?

I have done work experience, but I'm still looking for voluntary work (cutting it a bit fine, I know!)

Thanks.
Original post by xgoldenx
Hello there! Congrats on your offer! :smile: Just wondering other than GCSEs what do Liverpool use to decide who to allocate interviews to? Thanks!

Besides your top 9 GCSEs, they look at the length and quality of your work experience and volunteering - and the way you reflect on your experiences to show you have learnt from your experience. You have to state your experience and then follow-up by evaluating it with what you learnt. eg I shadowed nurses and doctros wrking in a multidiscplinery team whlist working in a hospital for 2 weeks. From this i learnt how the NHS manages finite resources to maximise treatment. If you feeling clever then bring in a related issue such as Adnrew lansley's reforms affecting funding of the service. something like that and they'll love you.

so apart fro that talk about your hobbie, the Duke of Ed, sports an d such like.

good luck. x
Original post by Dino
Hi, just wanted to ask whether liverpool require proof of work experience and voluntary work?

I have done work experience, but I'm still looking for voluntary work (cutting it a bit fine, I know!)

Thanks.

They send you a form where you have to put the details of where you did your work experience and they claim to randomly contact some of the references. The people i did mine at wont remeber me but it seemed to be fine. x
Reply 31

Yeah that's spot on. Hobbies and work experience and the manner in which you communicate the quality of your skill-set.

alright thanks. So do they like people who have loads of extracurriculars or is it more about how they reflect upon it and relate it to medicine?
Original post by Cutaneoplast™
Hey all, I have just updated the starting thread post. Hope you guys like the new look (yes, I have got way too much time on my hands lol).

Just a reminder to book for the Medicine Open Day if you want! :biggrin:

Are you a student at Liverpool?
(Lpool is the only definite I've got so far)
Original post by Dino

Thanks.

On their website it says Proof will be required post-interview of all the organisations and activities in which the applicant is said to have participated, if requested

If you lie on your PS, and one place finds out, your application for everywhere will be withdrawn.
Reply 34
Original post by TheFirstMohican
On their website it says Proof will be required post-interview of all the organisations and activities in which the applicant is said to have participated, if requested

If you lie on your PS, and one place finds out, your application for everywhere will be withdrawn.

Does that include extra curricular activities like music/sport and volunteering? I have work experience and I'm looking to volunteer (probs start mid sep).
Reply 35
Hi everyone!

I'm considering to applying to Liverpool, but I don't know about my GCSEs...
I got A*AAAAAAAB, so based on their system I should only drop one point? But if someone achieved like 12 A*s, for example, surely I wouldn't compare well against them? Using the scoring system I'd only have 1 less point but I don't know whether to just avoid GCSE-friendly medical schools altogether.

But in my favour I'm a reapplicant and got A*AA ( :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: ) at A-level.

I'd appreciate your judgement on what you think my chances would be like :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by Dino
Does that include extra curricular activities like music/sport and volunteering? I have work experience and I'm looking to volunteer (probs start mid sep).

Mid-september is a bit late to start, you're meant to demonstrate long term commitment. Also, if you make false claims on your personal statement about anything they'd probably worm it out of you in interview.
Reply 37
Original post by MJHERBZ
Hi everyone!

I'm considering to applying to Liverpool, but I don't know about my GCSEs...
I got A*AAAAAAAB, so based on their system I should only drop one point? But if someone achieved like 12 A*s, for example, surely I wouldn't compare well against them? Using the scoring system I'd only have 1 less point but I don't know whether to just avoid GCSE-friendly medical schools altogether.

But in my favour I'm a reapplicant and got A*AA ( :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: ) at A-level.

I'd appreciate your judgement on what you think my chances would be like :smile:

You should be fine with your GCSEs. I think the Liverpool GCSE entry requirements as described on their website STINKS. " ...least a score of 15 points or better (where A*/A = 2; B = 1)..." gives encouragement to applicants with 15, 16, 17 & 18 points. However, after all applications are in, Liverpool then apply a cut-off, which was 17 points last year. So all applicants with 15 and 16 points were immediately out. Yet the entry requirements are the same this year. To hide this cut-off process is hideous behaviour as all applicants with 15 and 16 points will think to themselves "Yep, I met that entry requirement. Now it's down to my A levels, PS, reference etc."

Shame on you, Liverpool Uni.
Reply 38
Original post by itsabreeze
You should be fine with your GCSEs. I think the Liverpool GCSE entry requirements as described on their website STINKS. " ...least a score of 15 points or better (where A*/A = 2; B = 1)..." gives encouragement to applicants with 15, 16, 17 & 18 points. However, after all applications are in, Liverpool then apply a cut-off, which was 17 points last year. So all applicants with 15 and 16 points were immediately out. Yet the entry requirements are the same this year. To hide this cut-off process is hideous behaviour as all applicants with 15 and 16 points will think to themselves "Yep, I met that entry requirement. Now it's down to my A levels, PS, reference etc."

Shame on you, Liverpool Uni.

Wow, that's so bad of them! Why not just specify a minimum score of 17?! And all they say is 'Applicants with better GCSE scores will be given preference'. Shame on them indeed.

So, do you think that the cut-off will remain at 17 points this year? I'd like to apply to Liverpool but I don't wanna risk an immediate rejection.
Reply 39
Original post by MJHERBZ
Wow, that's so bad of them! Why not just specify a minimum score of 17?! And all they say is 'Applicants with better GCSE scores will be given preference'. Shame on them indeed.

So, do you think that the cut-off will remain at 17 points this year? I'd like to apply to Liverpool but I don't wanna risk an immediate rejection.

I don't know, but valid questions are:

1. When was the last time that an applicant was successful with a score of 15 points?
2. When was the last time that an applicant was successful with a score of 16 points?
3. With a cut-off of 17 points last year, did all applicants with 18 points receive an offer? If not, why not?
4. What percentage of applicants with 17 points received an offer and what were the determining criteria?
5. Is there any point whatsoever applying to Liverpool with 15 or 16 points (and be truthful with your answer)?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply