The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

The UEA Question Thread

**Updated in Aug 2016**

The Autumn Semester begins on the 26th September, with Fresher's Week starting on the 25th! Visit ueafreshers.com for more info on that - any other Fresher's weeks advertised, are unofficial! If you want to look at future semester dates, then you can see them here.

Norwich is a great city to live in and have fun in, and is relatively cheap for students as well!

Nightlife: UEA has its own venue on campus, called the LCR - there are student nights twice a week here, Tuesday and Saturday, as well as other gigs throughout the week! There is also a great nightlife in the city, on Prince of Wales St.

Jobs on campus: Jobs on campus are reserved for students in second year and above. Each Spring they offer a lot of job opportunities for work around the SU, which pay well. If you're looking for work in first year, then you might want to look at finding jobs in the city, in bars/pubs and supermarkets!

Buses: From campus there are two buses, 25and 26 which go into the city centre and rail station! These run every 5-10 mins during the day, and about every 15 minutes later on in the evenings. A return trip is £3 for Young Persons (19-), but First offer bus passes for £199 for the year, which is great value if you go about 3+ times a week!

Parking on campus: You will only be able to park your car on campus (if in halls) if you have a permit, which you can only obtain if you have extenuating circumstances, or are a care leaver. If this is the case, you'll need to apply for one! To be honest, you don't really need a car for first year, as everything is around you, and the buses are pretty good anyway!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

There are lots of general threads like this, but I really like the city, and the campus.

The campus feels quite... cozy... and has a few cafes and a couple of shops, and there's always various events happening. There's the big library with comfy seating areas if you feel like working.

The city has more of a pub than club culture which suits me, but there is a certain street where all the clubs are which satisfies most people.

There's plenty of cinemas and theatres, all the shopping you need and it's easy to get into town on the bus (they come every 10 minutes or so) - and once you're there you can walk everywhere.

Like you said, I like the atmosphere here and it's a good city to be a student in.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 2
Norwich is a great city, it kind of feels like a town even though it's pretty big. It's got loads of homely comfortable pubs and the campus is ok though a bit depressing sometimes with all the concrete. JUST DON'T LIVE IN THE VILLAGE. I lived there in my first year and absolutely hated it, the bedrooms were tiny and most of my flatmates were weirdos...really wish I'd lived on campus.
Original post by popcornfan
Norwich is a great city, it kind of feels like a town even though it's pretty big. It's got loads of homely comfortable pubs and the campus is ok though a bit depressing sometimes with all the concrete. JUST DON'T LIVE IN THE VILLAGE. I lived there in my first year and absolutely hated it, the bedrooms were tiny and most of my flatmates were weirdos...really wish I'd lived on campus.

Sorry you didn't get on with your flatmates last year but you can't really blame that on living in the Village can you!
Reply 4

The Village is excellent. Plenty of room and my flatmates are great.

I dunno... maybe we're the kind of weirdos you're talking about :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with the village (apart from the fact it's not Britten and therefore not worth going anywhere near but hey...), it's out of the way a bit but I have friends there and it seems to have a really homely, friendly atmosphere. At the end of the day, it's luck who you end up in a flat with (well, there's probably some kind of way they do it, and I've been meaning to ask you, UEAAccommodation, but I doubt you'd tell us anyway), and it's up to you to find people you click with if you don't get on with anyone in your flat. I ended up in a flat with mostly international students and my resident tutor, none of which I really have much in common with, except a couple of the guys. I figured I could spend the year moaning about how rubbish my flat was compared to others', or I could find a group of people I clicked with. The flat on the ground floor are ace, and I have a big group of friends there. There will be 'weirdos' wherever you stay, at whatever uni.

Norwich itself is, in my opinion, just right. It's got the city thing going on (clubs and a primark... a girl can only dream) whilst not being so big you get lost in it. If you're from a larger city with loads of massive clubs, you might find it a bit small, but hopefully you'll learn to love it.
Reply 6
Almost everyone I've met who lived in the Village in their first year had a dreadful experience with antisocial "Village People". Forgive me from trying to stop someone else having a terrible first year, but I stand by my first statement. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Jez RR
The Village is excellent. Plenty of room and my flatmates are great.

I dunno... maybe we're the kind of weirdos you're talking about :wink:

Okay...weirdos aside...plenty of room!?? What Village are you at because it cannot have been the same one! Lol.

Seriously, the kitchen size was okay except for being extremely dingy and stuff breaking all the time, but the rooms were like a coffin. About half a yard between the bed and the desk! And don't even get me started about the shower pods...

I'm sorry guys, but the Village sucks big hairy balls :smile: not going to convince me otherwise, I'm afraid.
Norwich is a beautiful, medieval city. It's got great shops, a really liberal population, lots of independent music venues, a superb cinema, really nice bars and restaurants and it really is a very pleasant city in which to live. The UEA campus isn't quite as beautiful but it's very self-contained and it isn't totally ugly, it has a very nice lake, a Norman Foster-designed art gallery and really feels like a University.

Norwich is, in my opinion, as near to perfect as a British city could get. It's up there with living in Cambridge and the nicer parts of London. It's not too big, it's not too small. It's just two hours from London yet you'd never really need to go there because it's got all the shops you'll ever need. It's got a feck-tonne of great places to go like The Playhouse Bar, Cinema City, The Bicycle Club, The Birdcage, The Arts Centre, Frank's Bar etc and you should definitely get a bicycle because the broads are flat-as-sod and are just on your doorstep there.

I consider myself very lucky to live near Norwich.
(edited 13 years ago)
Almost everyone I've met who lived in the Village in their first year had a dreadful experience with antisocial "Village People". Forgive me from trying to stop someone else having a terrible first year, but I stand by my first statement. :smile:

Well I'm living there atm (first year) and I'm loving it, as are all my flat mates and other people I know living here, so you must have been talking to a very small number of people :rolleyes: And yeah we do call ourselves the village people actually, but we're all sociable (in fact almost too much so - my work is suffering a little bit) and so in conclusion, your statement is one experience, and you're blaming it on something that has nothing to do with being in the village (weirdos) and is down to luck. Being on campus does not make you immune from being placed with "weirdos"

And I have no problems with size, everything I brought with me has fitted neatly and easily into the room and I'm fine with bathroom space. And our kitchen is absolutely fine and nothing has broken in it :confused:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Some people ain't going to fit wherever they end up. And it'll always be everyone else's fault :wink:
Original post by pigwigeon
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with the village (apart from the fact it's not Britten and therefore not worth going anywhere near but hey...), it's out of the way a bit but I have friends there and it seems to have a really homely, friendly atmosphere. At the end of the day, it's luck who you end up in a flat with (well, there's probably some kind of way they do it, and I've been meaning to ask you, UEAAccommodation, but I doubt you'd tell us anyway).

Its not secret, I can tell you how we try to do it. What we do when we allocate the rooms is try to mix people up as much as possible. This way each flat should (and I know there are going to be cases where this isn't always the case) have a good mix of sexes, nationallities and students from different schools of study. UEA currently has about a 60-40 split on females to males so this may also be reflected in the student numbers in the flat.

The only flats where there will definetely be more students from a certain school will be those that we put students from the Faculty of Health. This is because their courses are longer and we need to ensure that no-one ends up living on their own once the majority of people leave in mid June. Even in these flats however, there should still be half the residents from other "non-health" related courses.

Most students (around 90-95%) who apply for a room get one of their top 3 choices on their application form and over 70% get their top choice.

As you say, we still can't account for people getting on (or not, as the case may be!) but on the whole most people seem happy with where they get put. Even if they don't get on with the other students on their floor the residences are large enough, and the campus small enough, that they will make friends with people on the floor above or below or in other buildings.

Where people are really not happy with where they are living we try to help with room changes and swaps where this is possible.

Hope this answers your question.
After seeing so many threads get opened for one question, I figured it would make sense to make a thread for them all.

So basically, if you have a question about UEA, the gym, the surrounding area (basically anything!) then post in here and current students can answer them for you!

Please also search this thread/the forum to see if your question has been asked before - just to save us from repeating ourselves! :p:

Lastly, if you have a question about accommodation, then post it in here.

Reply 13
Is there a thing on campus where bikes are sold cheaply at the beginning of term(s)?

At my brothers old uni he said the police donated lost, unclaimed bikes to the uni and they were sold or rented for about £15 a term or on a yearly basis, and I was wondering if there is anything similar at UEA?

Original post by Nut.
Is there a thing on campus where bikes are sold cheaply at the beginning of term(s)?

At my brothers old uni he said the police donated lost, unclaimed bikes to the uni and they were sold or rented for about £15 a term or on a yearly basis, and I was wondering if there is anything similar at UEA?

Yeah UEA has a similar thing :yep:

Details are here
Original post by Nut.

Good question! Yeah, think I'm going to hold off buying a bike until I get to UEA.
In addition dr bike also sells second hand bikes throughout the year (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dr-Bike-at-UEA/312671550369) They tend to be quite reasonably priced too.
Reply 17
I've been reading up on accommodation and what not, but I haven't seen anywhere that answers my question: Are you in halls for the three+ years? If not, how much is accommodation in Norwich (renting a place for 2nd and 3rd years) - generally expensive or reasonable?

Also I have been reading about the social life which sound fab, but I was wondering if the Waterfront/LSR are based on campus or a bus ride away?

Sorry if these answers are very easy to find - I'm getting very stressed with this stuff and am giving up after 5 min of trying to sort anything related to uni out!

Thanks again
Original post by Sockhead

Original post by Sockhead
I've been reading up on accommodation and what not, but I haven't seen anywhere that answers my question: Are you in halls for the three+ years? If not, how much is accommodation in Norwich (renting a place for 2nd and 3rd years) - generally expensive or reasonable?

Also I have been reading about the social life which sound fab, but I was wondering if the Waterfront/LSR are based on campus or a bus ride away?

Sorry if these answers are very easy to find - I'm getting very stressed with this stuff and am giving up after 5 min of trying to sort anything related to uni out!

Thanks again

One year only - you used to be able to get accommodation in later years if you wanted (my brother did!) but they just don't have the space anymore.

Rent is fairly cheap - I think the average is £250 a month excl. bills :smile:

LCR is on campus, waterfront is in town, so you'd need a bus (not sure how many!)
Is there an I-SOC? :ninja:

Quick Reply

Latest