The Student Room Group

MA Creative Writing - Birkbeck vs City

Hi,

I've been offered places on the MA Creative Writing courses at both Birkbeck and City University. Both have positives (City guides you through the composition of an entire novel; Birkbeck is more rounded and academic , and has some great tutors.)

I'm tending towards Birkbeck but does anyone have any thoughts on this?

PS. I've also been offered a place on Manchester Met's online MA. I've been advised by most people I've spoken to not to proceed as face-to-face is better. However, it is a very cost-effective option, and the tutors there are great - again, if anyone has any thoughts I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

J. Florence.
Reply 1
Hi John (or anyone else):

Did you get responses to which is a "better" program? What did you decide, how do you like your decision?

Would appreciate any responses as I'm also trying to decide between the two programs: MA Creative Writing - Birkbeck vs City University.

All responses welcome.

Thanks & Regards,
Rina
Reply 2
Too much money!!
Creative Writing Courses are an easy target I guess if you make the mistaken assumption that all our students want to do is get rich quick by writing a bestseller - and if that's their ambition they are a. unlikely to get on our courses. b. not enjoy our courses.
A good MA (like ours at Birkbeck) gives the student an opportunity to think quite deeply about the written word and about the world, generally - and at any given point in an MA workshop we might discuss matters of history, philosophy, psychology, and literature. It's rigorously reading-based and even in the depths of a recession we are hugely oversubscribed - we only take 35 students out of about 200 applications. Education, as Aristotle knew, is more than just about training - a good CW MA teaches the student to *think* in a structured and meaningful way as well as apply technique to their work. I would challenge you to try any of our courses and then you can tell me if you think they are a soft option . . .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending