The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well i finally got a call back today and I've got a second interview in a few days for Supermarket assistant :smile: What can I expect, what should I wear and also from here what do you think are the chances of me getting the job? :smile: thanks
Lads, recommend me some cheap shoes to wear for work! I'm doing long shifts on Sundays, so don't want anything with a heel, nothing too expensive either cos it'll be just for work
Original post by itsmyname
Lads, recommend me some cheap shoes to wear for work! I'm doing long shifts on Sundays, so don't want anything with a heel, nothing too expensive either cos it'll be just for work

What are the shoe rules? is it just plain black pumps (for girls)?
Reply 5143
Original post by 500DaysOfSummer
What are the shoe rules? is it just plain black pumps (for girls)?

They have to be black for both girls and boys.. and they also have to be leather.. You really should not have fabric shoes.

You can (once you start) buy safety shoes at a subsidy should you wish to...

I can send you a PDF of the business dress guide if you want me to, it has got all the info in there, PM me if you want this...
I wear plain black Vans i'm always being complemented on how splendid i look :h: :sexface:
Original post by Lucy King
They have to be black for both girls and boys.. and they also have to be leather.. You really should not have fabric shoes.

You can (once you start) buy safety shoes at a subsidy should you wish to...

I can send you a PDF of the business dress guide if you want me to, it has got all the info in there, PM me if you want this...

Could i have access to your guide please,
I received a phone call this morning asking me about availability, this was after a group interview. Its for a new store so should i expect a second interview:confused:

Thankss
Hi I've been offered a job on Food Service section and have my induction on the 14th/15th.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what Food Service involves? Is it deli or cafe or something like that? I have experience of that type of job already :smile:

The personell manager put me on there because she says its usually the one with the most overtime but could anyone give me an idea of how much I might be able to expect/how regularly?
Reply 5147
Original post by LateNightSkies
Hi I've been offered a job on Food Service section and have my induction on the 14th/15th.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what Food Service involves? Is it deli or cafe or something like that? I have experience of that type of job already :smile:

The personell manager put me on there because she says its usually the one with the most overtime but could anyone give me an idea of how much I might be able to expect/how regularly?

Hi, congrats your managed to get yourself on the best section :wink: (Although I'm probably bias) Food Service is usually Deli and its other cooked sections you will have (Cheese, bakery, Hot food) and Meat and Fish. It may include cafe at your store but probably not. You say you already have experience at this kind of job, so none of the following will probably come as no shock, there is an awful lot of paperwork then you must always fill in and keep up to date (Food safety stuff mainly) always be prepared for the annoying/ picky customers.

Overtime changes from store to store, section to section so no-one will be able to give you a decent answer on that one.
Original post by Jim_21
Hi, congrats your managed to get yourself on the best section :wink: (Although I'm probably bias) Food Service is usually Deli and its other cooked sections you will have (Cheese, bakery, Hot food) and Meat and Fish. It may include cafe at your store but probably not. You say you already have experience at this kind of job, so none of the following will probably come as no shock, there is an awful lot of paperwork then you must always fill in and keep up to date (Food safety stuff mainly) always be prepared for the annoying/ picky customers.

Overtime changes from store to store, section to section so no-one will be able to give you a decent answer on that one.

Ahhh that's brilliant and I'm sure its the best section! Thanks for letting me know :smile: I know about all that food safety stuff, its such annoying pinickity stuff! I suppose its necessary though :wink:
Right, I am really confused!

Basically, ive had 3 interviews. The phone interview, group interview and a 1 on 1 interview with a section manager.

They told me last monday that i would find out about the job very shortly, however it has been well over a week...

Also, a friend of mine who applied for the same job but had a different section interview got a call yesterday telling him he has got the job.

What does this mean? During the section interview the guy told me that I would fit in very well in his area and that he looks forward to seeing me soon!

The waiting is killing me! :frown:
What happens on a Welcome To Waitrose training day? Seems like my one is from 9- 4.30
Reply 5151
What happens on a Welcome To Waitrose training day? Seems like my one is from 9- 4.30

These are actually really good fun, you'll be sat in a room and you will play games, design posters, eat... and just get to know the business.

It's a long day... But there are toys on the table to fiddle with just wear something comfortable, you will get to have a bit of a run around the room doing stuff as well.
Original post by Lucy King
These are actually really good fun, you'll be sat in a room and you will play games, design posters, eat... and just get to know the business.

It's a long day... But there are toys on the table to fiddle with just wear something comfortable, you will get to have a bit of a run around the room doing stuff as well.

Hmmm... I may end up being THAT guy that decides to come in joggers now Lol
I just got invited to a group interview at Waitrose. Can you advise me on what to expect and what they are looking for so I can make a good impression?
Original post by MissBlueskys
I just got invited to a group interview at Waitrose. Can you advise me on what to expect and what they are looking for so I can make a good impression?

The group interview consists of you being a part of a large group of people. To make a good impression, don't be too overpowering, be polite and considerate to others and make sure you speak up when you think its appropriate :smile: You will have to do a little speech to the group, where you tell them what you've been up to in the last 18 months (like what you've achieved), a fact about waitrose (make sure you do your homework), why you want to work there and something fun about yourself (we were asked to say what food we couldn't live without). You also do a team building exercise, where you get to know people in your group and a little activity.

Its all friendly :smile: Good Luck :smile:
OK, Would it be too cheeky/trampish to wear joggers for the Welcome to Waitrose training day? It says Casual wear so...
Original post by Lauren19923
The group interview consists of you being a part of a large group of people. To make a good impression, don't be too overpowering, be polite and considerate to others and make sure you speak up when you think its appropriate :smile: You will have to do a little speech to the group, where you tell them what you've been up to in the last 18 months (like what you've achieved), a fact about waitrose (make sure you do your homework), why you want to work there and something fun about yourself (we were asked to say what food we couldn't live without). You also do a team building exercise, where you get to know people in your group and a little activity.

Its all friendly :smile: Good Luck :smile:

I'm also going to a group interview on monday. When you say a fact about waitrose what do you mean exactly? - Surely they wouldn't want 'Waitrose was formed in ... by ...' ectect

Thanks
Reply 5157

OK, Would it be too cheeky/trampish to wear joggers for the Welcome to Waitrose training day? It says Casual wear so...

If thats what you'd normally wear when out and about in public then go for it :eyeball:

That said, i did wear my OnePiece to one of the sessions :teehee:
Original post by BenjyK
If thats what you'd normally wear when out and about in public then go for it :eyeball:

That said, i did wear my OnePiece to one of the sessions :teehee:

I'd just feel comfortable in my joggers, plus it being a hot day...

I did wear my suit to the offer clinic Lol, felt like a bit of a mug. I guess its alright now if I chill a bit and wear whatever, I've made an impression and gotten through.

I dunno though, you tell me Lol
Hi guys I got my transfer to Cheadle hulme sooo happy about it but i will be working on Customer Services. Has anyone got any experience on that section and also can share with me the type of tasks that you would be expected to carry out on a day to day basis.

btw i am currently a checkout supervisor in a group f branch
Thanks in advance!!
:biggrin: