The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
From what I understand, if you don't have AAA you get automatically rejected.
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Well, it's difficult to say seeing as you have not hit the standard offer - it may have been mitigated had you received A*s in English and French.

You would have to retake one of the Bs and then do well on the ELAT and the French grammar test (both on the same day I think).

Also, as a post A-level applicant you would be expected to give a slightly better showing at interview than a post AS applicant.

There is still a chance - if you truly like the look of the course then go for it!

Incidentally, did you apply to any unis for 2011 entry?

That's more encouraging than I was expecting to be honest.

My English is currently being remarked in the hope of bumping it up the little it needs to get to A*, but I don't know how realistic that is so I'm not holding out any particular hopes for it.

If I were to apply, I'd resit physics unit 1 (my school doesn't allow for ISA resits, the ISAs being what have pulled me below an A), and I am certain that I'm capable of pulling my grade up with that.

ELAT and French grammar test -wise, are they factors that admissions tutors consider before or after interview? From the looks of things they are measures of raw subject ability in candidates, so I don't of course doubt my ability to excel in them, especially having a year's more experience and knowledge than most applicants.

In terms of interview...that's only to be expected I suppose, and perfectly reasonable.

edit. I forgot to say - I did apply for 2011 entry (I didn't apply for Oxford or Cambridge though), and have a place to study English at York which they are happy for me to defer. Since applying a year ago, however, I've found that French has become something genuinely at the heart of what defines me, hence 2012 entry. Just for the record, I'm going to be working full time on Pinsent Masons' gap year programme this year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by NothingCrushesUs
That's more encouraging than I was expecting to be honest.

My English is currently being remarked in the hope of bumping it up the little it needs to get to A*, but I don't know how realistic that is so I'm not holding out any particular hopes for it.

If I were to apply, I'd resit physics unit 1 (my school doesn't allow for ISA resits, the ISAs being what have pulled me below an A), and I am certain that I'm capable of pulling my grade up with that.

ELAT and French grammar test -wise, are they factors that admissions tutors consider before or after interview? From the looks of things they are measures of raw subject ability in candidates, so I don't of course doubt my ability to excel in them, especially having a year's more experience and knowledge than most applicants.

In terms of interview...that's only to be expected I suppose, and perfectly reasonable.

I don't think you'll be outright rejected if you put your Physics A2 result as 'pending' (You'd still have to declare your old grade though) Then again...I'm not an admissions tutor...what were your AS grades?

Well, the ELAT (I believe) is used to find a cut-off point for applicants invited to interview but the French grammar test is a little hazy seeing as up till 2012, the test used to be taken during interview period in college. Perhaps moving the languages tests to before the interview is so that they can sort out the applicants before arriving at Oxford....or maybe it's just a logistical decision.
Reply 223
Original post by IWMI
but i am convinced i would never make the cut off (GCSE). I mean i was going in for cambridge nat sciences but they said without physics it woud be more or less futile. I was happy becuase they have the CSAS for people with extenuating circumstances. But now oxford is my only chance with oxbridge but my gcses have let me down. I feel even with the BMAT it would be a massive long shot becuase of the fact it took me 3 years to complete my a levels (failed AS) and my poor gcses :frown:

You've asked for honesty. It would be a long shot, but Oxford is only one out of your five choices. Give it a try!
note. I thought I'd replied to this earlier but evidently not.

I don't think you'll be outright rejected if you put your Physics A2 result as 'pending' (You'd still have to declare your old grade though) Then again...I'm not an admissions tutor...what were your AS grades?

My AS grades were AAABC. Is it worth me contacting admissions tutors to ask for their opinions then?

Well, the ELAT (I believe) is used to find a cut-off point for applicants invited to interview but the French grammar test is a little hazy seeing as up till 2012, the test used to be taken during interview period in college. Perhaps moving the languages tests to before the interview is so that they can sort out the applicants before arriving at Oxford....or maybe it's just a logistical decision.

Either way, I know that I'd have to ace both in order to be considered, correct?

(Thank you very much for the help by the way)
Reply 225
Original post by josh9294
Are the any particular differences with Caius admission process, since its a medical based college?

Also, I forgot to mention. I took an A level early, I thought this would be neutral, or positive - anything but negative. But it seems some universities actually look down on that, perhaps because you may have 'less work' to do over the A2 year or whatever reason.

Is this the same for Cambridge?

Ill tell you about my brilliant observation about Oxbridge colleges lol

(well its not brilliant but its common sense)

Say college A takes 25 students, colleges B - Z take 4 students each.

Where do you think you have the most predictable chance of getting in?

College A may have 100 applicants one year, 110 the next, 90 the next etc...but in terms of applicants per place thats 1/4, 1/4.4, 1/4.

College B might get 16 one year, 30 the next, 24 the next....1/4, 1/7.5, 1/6 - with just a few more or less candidates there can be massive fluctuations in the applicants per place. Also, and more importantly, all you need is four really really good people to come along and you're screwed! However good you are, if you're not as good as these four brilliant people then you're getting pooled at best and the pooling system at Cambridge for Medicine is horrendous.

With the big colleges, there's a fairly consistent level of competition for places and generally you wont find 25 *amazing* people applying to that college in one year.

Therefore, if you do not have any real preference for a particular college, then try to applying to the slightly bigger colleges.

In general the rules for "picking colleges when you're not really attracted to one in particular" I would use:

- Avoid the most competitive colleges for that subject: Trinity, Downing, Emma
- Pick slightly larger colleges: Perhaps with 10 or more places
- Avoid picking what you think are bad colleges because they'll be 'easier' - very often thats just not true because loads of people will think to do that...ie Girton

I think Jesus would meet those rules
no
Reply 227
no :biggrin:
Oxbridge
Hi guys, I'm only in secondary school, however dead set on going to a Russel/ Ivy League university. I am worried however of my GCSE results as I have a good idea of what they are going to be yet worried they won't live up to what is expected for these universities. I really want to study physics and philosophy at Oxford.

My (expected) GCSEs

English Lang A/B
English Lit A/B
Maths A*
Physics A*
Bio A*
Chem A
PE A*
PE (2) A*
History A
Geog A/B
RE (s/c) A/B

I have also already achieved

GCSE French - B (two years early)
GCSE Statistics - A

I am hoping to do Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Philosophy and Biology in college. Do you think if I were to only achieve Bs in English it would greatly hinder my chances?

Do you think I have a chance? Please be honest. Thanks
If you get what you're predicting yourself, you'll have similar GCSEs to what I had, and I did get a Cambridge interview (of course, Oxford is different and the standard may have changed in 3 years).

For now, just try and do as much work as possible for these exams, and then your AS exams, then think about applying to Oxford, it's not worth worrying about it now. :smile:
Reply 230
Original post by IWMI
I sense some sarcasm in your voice :tongue:, are you serious? I have been getting some very conflicting answers regarding my situation and i am just not sure what to think anymore. I mean i guess most unis would consider me on behalf of me circumstances and big improvment but This is not most unis, its oxford.

plus they LOVE the good gcses lol, they woud be extra nazi'esq with mine :frown:

NO i was not being sarcastic at all - sorry if it came out that way.
Call them up, that's the only way you'll find out; yes they do care about gcses but if you have had a problem like this then clearly its not down to you being not intelligent enough.
Reply 231
Is there anyone who got into Oxbridge with ABBB at AS or something similar?
Reply 232
Original post by bob247
Is there anyone who got into Oxbridge with ABBB at AS or something similar?

i highly doubt it. They ask for at least AAA at AS in mostly all subjects. Unless you have extenuating circumstances i highly doubt you would stand a chance :frown: AS levels are the ones that REALLY matter and wher most top applicants prove themselves. Its the only real way for oxbridge to test your capability. Im sorry but id rather be honest then beat around the bush. Im in a similair boat in a way so I understand :smile:
Reply 233
Hey.

I want to apply to Oxford to read English Literature.

I have taken the Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) O-Levels. I received 6A*s, 3As and 1 B

A*'s in English Lit, English Language, Physics, Biology,Maths, Sociology.

A's in Chemistry, Urdu, Islamiat

And a B in Pakistan Studies

While previous replies for other subjects show that 6A*s is an average result, considering English Literature's popularity, do I stand a good chance?

Also I am taking English Literature, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths (general paper compulsory) for A-Levels.
Are these A-levels conducive to the Oxford course, or will I be at a diadvantage compared to those who have, say, History, or Latin. I am an international applicant and my school does not offer either of those subjects
Replies will be much appreciated.
Original post by FarahT
Hey.

I want to apply to Oxford to read English Literature.

I have taken the Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) O-Levels. I received 6A*s, 3As and 1 B

A*'s in English Lit, English Language, Physics, Biology,Maths, Sociology.

A's in Chemistry, Urdu, Islamiat

And a B in Pakistan Studies

While previous replies for other subjects show that 6A*s is an average result, considering English Literature's popularity, do I stand a good chance?

Also I am taking English Literature, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths (general paper compulsory) for A-Levels.
Are these A-levels conducive to the Oxford course, or will I be at a diadvantage compared to those who have, say, History, or Latin. I am an international applicant and my school does not offer either of those subjects
Replies will be much appreciated.

You don't have to do History or Latin but the choice of all science/mathsy subjects is a little odd. Does your school not offer much in the way of humanities subjects?

With solid AS levels and an interesting personal statement and (above all) a good ELAT score, your application should be feasible :smile:
Hey,
I want to study physics at oxford

I' got 8As in GCE O Levels (one in english after a repeat)

AL maths 571/600 A*
AS physics 299/300 A
AS business studies 138/200 C (B was 140)

also,
OL maths marks<OL pure maths marks<AS maths<A2 maths marks
Marks seem to be increasing as it gets harder :smile: (and one reason i chose physics because i like the intellectual challenge)
I tried one PAT past paper, it seems managable

Havent done anything much that requires leadership and teamwork though. (i do athletics)
Is it realistic to apply? :h:
thanks
Reply 236
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You don't have to do History or Latin but the choice of all science/mathsy subjects is a little odd. Does your school not offer much in the way of humanities subjects?

With solid AS levels and an interesting personal statement and (above all) a good ELAT score, your application should be feasible :smile:

I know its odd, and really the only humanities subjects offered are sociology and psychology, which frankly I don't enjoy much, aside from them being considered "soft". But do you think that it will be a disadvantage i.e. reduce my chances of getting in. Have you heard of someone who has gotten in with a similar combination?

Also, I am worried about my gcse's, like I said they are just average but, for medicine(for instance), they are completely unacceptable. So am I, what, on the lower end on the spectrum, for English Literarure.

Thanks for your reply though :smile:
Original post by FarahT
I know its odd, and really the only humanities subjects offered are sociology and psychology, which frankly I don't enjoy much, aside from them being considered "soft". But do you think that it will be a disadvantage i.e. reduce my chances of getting in. Have you heard of someone who has gotten in with a similar combination?

Also, I am worried about my gcse's, like I said they are just average but, for medicine(for instance), they are completely unacceptable. So am I, what, on the lower end on the spectrum, for English Literarure.

Thanks for your reply though :smile:

I'm not an English student, so I don't know whether that combination would be alright or not. I've heard of similar things for Music. It might be worth you emailing an English admissions tutor, explaining your circumstances :yes:

I imagine number of A*s amongst English applicants could be quite varied. I think you're fine though :smile:
Oxbridge
Hi guys, I'm only in secondary school, however dead set on going to a Russel/ Ivy League university. I am worried however of my GCSE results as I have a good idea of what they are going to be yet worried they won't live up to what is expected for these universities. I really want to study physics and philosophy at Oxford.

My (expected) GCSEs

English Lang A/B
English Lit A/B
Maths A*
Physics A*
Bio A*
Chem A
PE A*
PE (2) A*
History A
Geog A/B
RE (s/c) A/B

I have also already achieved

GCSE French - B (two years early)
GCSE Statistics - A

I am hoping to do Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Philosophy and Biology in college. Do you think if I were to only achieve Bs in English it would greatly hinder my chances?

Do you think I have a chance? Please be honest. Thanks :smile:
Econ & Management:

GCSEs:

A*A*AAAAAAAB (****ing Design Tech. GRRRRR :mad:)

AS Levels:

Maths: C1 A (91%), C2 A (92%) and S1 A (89%) (will be retaking C1 to get 100) - A OVERALL
Economics: Unit 1 A (98% ) Unit 2 B (73%) - retaking Unit 2 as I was predicted similar to Unit 1 :s-smilie: - A OVERALL
English: Unit 1 A (89%), Unit B Coursework (78% awful but nothing i can do about it now) - A OVERALL

French: Unit 1 (81%), Unit B (70%) big shock I was predicted 90%+ for each but I'm gonna drop it now. - B OVERALL

Predicted: A*A*A - A*AA

do I have a chance?