The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask Absolutely Anything! (+FAQ)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mouse Potato
Does anyone know how easy it is to get to (and more importantly, back from...) club nights etc in Birmingham? Doesn't seem like there are many goth nights around the uni itself or Coventry but I know of several in Birmingham which isn't that far away. I heard talk of some kind of night bus service, but I'm assuming that's more for things where there are a decent number of people going? :/

theuniexpress.com went to Gatecrasher, Oceana and Risa last year. It's about £15 including coach there and back and queue jump entry - they also do trips to Kasbah in Coventry and Smack/Evolve in Leam for a bit cheaper. The cost of travel to Birmingham via bus-train-Brum-train-bus is about £10 (or a bit more) so going by coach it removes a lot of hassle (and takes less time). One alternative might be to get the bus there and back and then go somewhere else (if the night coincides with another event).

I went to Birmingham more in my first year than second year, might be different for others.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by TheTallOne
One alternative might be to get the bus there and back and then go somewhere else (if the night coincides with another event).

Is it okay to do that? I was wondering, but thought it might seem a little cheaky of me to hitch a ride and then slink off elsewhere? Is it something that other people do anyway? And the night I'm particularly interested runs every 2nd Friday of the month, having a look at the facebook page for uniexpress it looks like there should probably be a bus then? :3
Original post by Mouse Potato
Is it okay to do that? I was wondering, but thought it might seem a little cheaky of me to hitch a ride and then slink off elsewhere? Is it something that other people do anyway? And the night I'm particularly interested runs every 2nd Friday of the month, having a look at the facebook page for uniexpress it looks like there should probably be a bus then? :3

So long as you're paying the guy money to sit on his coach, he really isn't going to mind.
Original post by GarethBrown
So long as you're paying the guy money to sit on his coach, he really isn't going to mind.

Okay, thanks! I more meant if other people minded, if I was eating up a ticket and space for someone who genuinely wanted to go to the thing we were supposed to be going to! But I guess your logic is right, and if I've paid it's okay. :3
Original post by Drizzzy
What is there to do at Warwick that apart from clubbing and joining the clubs?

Like what kind of things do friends do? Go to a football pitch and kick around?

Well at pretty much every uni, life outside of clubbing and societies is the same as life during college - just chatting, hanging around, going to bowling/cinema/etc, and football like you said...

The main difference between college and university life is the excessive clubbing, drinking and partying....which is what gets everyone pumped to go uni :biggrin:
Reply 1865
Hi,

I have received the welcome pack today and it says my course code is N201. However on UCAS and the WBS website it says N200. Which is right?

Many thanks!
Original post by corkg
Hi,

I have received the welcome pack today and it says my course code is N201. However on UCAS and the WBS website it says N200. Which is right?

Many thanks!

Hardly any difference. The university regulations state N201 - for administration purposes it's probably that, but it's a trivial point anyway.
Original post by corkg
Hi,

Many thanks!

Like TheTallOne said; it doesn't make any difference at all. My course was L300 on UCAS but the whole time I've been at Warwick I've been L301 - (then L306 but that's a different story!) It's most probably N201, but generally it doesn't make a single iota of difference to anything regarding your course, module, exams, timetables etc. It's just administration.
Is there any NHS dentists knocking about on campus or nearby?

I'm in agony one of my teeth and apparantly I aren't registered at the local dentist anymore so all he could do was rip it out (its towards the front so unbearable pain is the lesser of the two evils atm)
Reply 1869
Will I be allowed to use a 2200 watt hair dryer in my room?
Original post by Ollie901
Is there any NHS dentists knocking about on campus or nearby?

I'm in agony one of my teeth and apparantly I aren't registered at the local dentist anymore so all he could do was rip it out (its towards the front so unbearable pain is the lesser of the two evils atm)

Not on campus, but you can check here :h:
Original post by mrigs
Will I be allowed to use a 2200 watt hair dryer in my room?

That's a load of watts but yeah :yy:

"The use of personal electrical
grooming appliances within the kitchen and
indeed other areas, such as hair straighteners will
be allowed. However, it will be the responsibility of
the student to ensure that they are maintained in
an efficient state; in efficient working order and in
good repair, do not present a risk of harm to others
and/or compromise fire safety."

Page 18 of the residential handbook
Sorry if this has been asked, but: how are the fresher's events for non-drinkers? Worth shelling out for the pass?
Not on campus, but you can check here :h:

Thank you :bhangra:
Original post by blitzente
Sorry if this has been asked, but: how are the fresher's events for non-drinkers? Worth shelling out for the pass?

How do you feel about clubbing while sober with friends who drink?
Original post by blitzente

How do you feel about clubbing while sober with friends who drink?

Even if you don't drink, the likelihood is that those initial events will form the foundations of your friendship group. If you stay at home while they all go then you'll find yourself confused because they've all got loads of inside jokes you don't get and will be shouting CLUNGE CLUNGE at each other at dinner.

That said; I didn't buy the pass because none of my hall did, we just went to a couple of the events together as a group, but not every single one. So we didn't get passes anyway - just do what they're all doing. The pass is a rip off.
Original post by screenager2004
Even if you don't drink, the likelihood is that those initial events will form the foundations of your friendship group. If you stay at home while they all go then you'll find yourself confused because they've all got loads of inside jokes you don't get and will be shouting CLUNGE CLUNGE at each other at dinner.

That said; I didn't buy the pass because none of my hall did, we just went to a couple of the events together as a group, but not every single one. So we didn't get passes anyway - just do what they're all doing. The pass is a rip off.

Thanks for the input! Guess I'll just try a couple and see if I haven't met any fellow introverts by then. :wink:
Hey, just a quick question if anyone would be kind enough to reply! Basically I work at Matalan and am hoping to get a transfer whilst I'm at Warwick. The two nearest stores are wheler road, Cov, and Gallagher retail park, Cov. Are they easily accessible from campus by public transport and as a bonus how long it would take to get there? :colondollar:
Thank youuuuu!
Reply 1878
Wheler road you can get to. Take the 801 from campus and get off around about Riverside Close. The journey takes about 23 minutes (plus a short walk at the end) and the buses run every half hour. Here are more details:

Location of store: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Wheler+Rd,+Coventry,+CV3+4,+UK&hl=en&ll=52.391565,-1.482897&spn=0.003667,0.010568&sll=52.404199,-1.488647&sspn=0.058648,0.169086&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=17

Bus timetable and route map: http://nxbus.co.uk/routes/coventry/C801/?timetable[direction]=University%2B-%2BUniversity%2BHospital%2Bvia%2BWillenhall&timetable[day]=monday_-_friday&timetable[stop]=&timetable[submit]=SEARCH#service_timetable
Reply 1879
Is there any way of linking my warwick email to windows live mail so i can pick up all my mail at the same time? If so, what details do i need etc because i've tried adding [email protected] and [email protected] with my password i use to log in from MyWarwick and it won't download the email folders as it keeps asking for my password (presumably because it thinks its incorrect)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending