The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol postgrad accommodation - best?

Dear all

I'm English and want to have fun. Not looking to knuckle down with a bunch of internationals who keep their doors closed etc.

The choices are:

Chantry Court
Deans Court
Sinclair House
UNITE House
Winkworth House
Woodland Court

Any info on the above?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Is this for 2012 entry? I expect all that accomodation is full for 2011.

Avoid Unite like the plague.

If you're looking to live with other brits for 2011 entry your best bet is probably the postgrad accommodation fair in early september.
(edited 12 years ago)
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
No it's still available, they're giving out offers. Where would you recommend then?
Reply 3
Crazy. I know Woodland Court is nice but haven't lived there myself. Don't know much about the others I'm afraid but I expect they're all much of the same.
Reply 4
Stay away from Unite, they are a vile company.
Would also say don't go for anything managed by UNITE. I was in UNITE House in my first year and it was a bit rubbish.

My flatmate has told me not to recommend Winkworth (he was there in his first year).

I've heard good things about Woodland Court though.
Reply 6
Original post by Lit Up*
Dear all

I'm English and want to have fun. Not looking to knuckle down with a bunch of internationals who keep their doors closed etc.

The choices are:

Chantry Court
Deans Court
Sinclair House
UNITE House
Winkworth House
Woodland Court

Any info on the above?

Avoid UNITE. I lived in Favell House last year, and the only thing UNITE care about is your money.

I lived with five international students last year (and one other Brit), and they were all rather sociable to be honest. The problem tends to be when you get international students of the same nationality in the same house (e.g. I had three Chinese flat mates). It is rather galling that insist on speaking Chinese to one another, and in a lot of cases sticking exclusively to Asian food, when they have paid all this money to come and live and study in the UK. What annoyed me even more was the fact one of them had poor English, yet made no attempt to practice.

If there are still places in Woodland Court, which is surprising to be honest, then they are probably the best quality and location for university. But if you are looking for a social life then you should probably live closer to the city centre rather than the university, perhaps somewhere with undergraduate students.

I suppose this is one of the plus points on most of the UNITE properties. They are all next to other properties and in good locations (apart from Transom House in my opinion).
Reply 7
Sinclair House is in the ground of Manor Halls rite? I'm currently looking at Sinclair House for 2012 intake. Any opinions on Sinclair House?

I am an international students (postgrad) but I am all about socializing and meeting new people from different culture. Do the postgrad mix around and join in all the activities at Manor Halls?
Reply 8
Original post by Lit Up*
Dear all

The choices are:

Chantry Court
Deans Court
Sinclair House
UNITE House
Winkworth House
Woodland Court

Any info on the above?

Now this is fairly bitchy! I'm indian and an international postgraduate student at Bristol this year. And i really do want to have a fair amount of fun too. If only you guys wouldn't shut me out :biggrin:
Reply 9
Is Unite really that bad? :eek: neaaaaaaaaaaaaaarly applied for a room there.
Any recommendations for accommodation close to the city?
Original post by dxjhi
Is Unite really that bad? :eek: neaaaaaaaaaaaaaarly applied for a room there.
Any recommendations for accommodation close to the city?

I nearly did too! Now, I am reconsidering either Deans Court or Woodland Court. However, I heard Deans Court is full of international students, and that is not a bad thing, until I read the line that says they are most likely to accommodate students of the same nationalities together.

So, I'm not so sure anymore where to live...:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending