The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by verdhy
Hi quick question. is it 5000 words WITH evaluatio of sources? Really confused :s

No, I believe it's without!

Original post by Zhy
Is there a word limit? Would I get penalised for writing 20000+ words?

The word limit for mine was 6000 with 10% boundary, so from 5400 to 6600! You'll have to check with your school though. Also, I don't think the examiners/your teacher would have the patience to read a 20000 word essay!
Reply 2061
Oh, okay... thanks. I hope they're not too bothered about word limits!
Sorry if this has already been asked, and sorry if it's, a stupid question.

Pretty much everyone I know is doing a project with a question for a title, some kind of thesis, exploration into some idea, etc, and the same seems to be true from what I've seen skimming through this thread.

My EPQ is simply "The Life Cycle of Stars"; it's not a question so much a description/explanation. Both my supervisor and project manager have said this is fine but if I'm honest, they're both idiots. Does the AQA specification say anything about this? I've looked but not found anything...

Thanks.
Reply 2063
Original post by TenaciousMonkey

Pretty much everyone I know is doing a project with a question for a title, some kind of thesis, exploration into some idea, etc, and the same seems to be true from what I've seen skimming through this thread.

My EPQ is simply "The Life Cycle of Stars"; it's not a question so much a description/explanation. Both my supervisor and project manager have said this is fine but if I'm honest, they're both idiots. Does the AQA specification say anything about this? I've looked but not found anything...

Thanks.

Mine isn't a question :smile:
I've been recommended to pick this choice, but can anyone help out on a basic outline of what it is an what it consists of, how how much is it worth?
Original post by CloClo7
Mine isn't a question :smile:

Can I ask what your title is?
Reply 2066
The Economic Analysis Behind (and then the rest of it, if anyone who knows me reads this, it's pretty obvious who I am :tongue:) But its not a question, though I can easily turn it into one if I need to..
Reply 2067

Thanks.

Mine was 'Psychological Explanations of Religious Experiences' and I got an A, so it doesn't matter that you're not doing a question/hypothesis for it.
Original post by CloClo7
The Economic Analysis Behind (and then the rest of it, if anyone who knows me reads this, it's pretty obvious who I am :tongue:) But its not a question, though I can easily turn it into one if I need to..

Ah, I see. Great, thanks!

Original post by dean1210
Mine was 'Psychological Explanations of Religious Experiences' and I got an A, so it doesn't matter that you're not doing a question/hypothesis for it.

(That sounds really interesting...) Thanks, I'm a tad more at ease now.

Onwards with pointless equations and big words!
Hi, does anybody know if you need to include both footnotes AND a bibliography with an aqa epq? Or can you just do footnotes OR a bibliography?
Thanks
Original post by Joedidyjoe
I've been recommended to pick this choice, but can anyone help out on a basic outline of what it is an what it consists of, how how much is it worth?

Personally I found it absolutely easy and I came out with a grade A! I'm not one of those intelligent people who automatically get easy grades either!

You get given guidelines of the marking criteria, so long as you follow them you're sorted :smile: It involves collecting Primary and Secondary data, though in all honesty all o my primary data was completely made up and I manipulated it with my secondary data so that it was easier for me to link them together/compare them so I had more to write.

I just popped my 'primary data' into some graphs too to get the even higher marks.

So yeah if your Uni counts it as points, I'd recommend doing it as it's easy points :smile: trust me I'm the laziest person ever and didn't even complete my A level course, so if I can do it then anyone can! It's also good for your personal statement if you do it in an area relating to what you want to do at Uni, as it shows your interest in that subject even more if you're studying it in your own time :biggrin:
Reply 2071
I maybe repeating a question already asked.
But whatbsections of the epq get you the most marks, e.g 5000 essay, researching, 15 min presentation, evaluating and review or other.

I heard it's evaluating and review which means that my essay may be rubbish but good research from many sources, and an excellent review will get me a A.

What does everyone think? Thanks
So, you picked a subject of choice. When did you pick it and whatot kind of guidelines do they give you to pick from?
Original post by Joedidyjoe
So, you picked a subject of choice. When did you pick it and whatot kind of guidelines do they give you to pick from?

Mine was compulsory as part of my diploma so I started it later that other people. I'm not sure exactly when it's given if it's just optional to you or how much time you get given but yes you pick what it's on. Mine was "Are Primary Schools doing enough to encourage their pupils to be healthy?" and I used my placement for my 'primary research'. The guidelines are just like specifications/mark scheme type things :smile: x
It's like an introduction to researching things, and writing up what you've found out.
It's not really based on content, so you're completely free to choose the subject you do it about: it's all about method you use in researching.
It depends on the exam board (do you know this?), but what I did with AQA was based 20% on your management of the project, 20% on your use of resources, 40% on how the project has been developed and realised, and the final 20% on your reviewing ability and conclusions.
See 2.5.2 on http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/pdf/AQA-9990-EPQ-W-SP.PDF
In other words, it's based on an absolute load of rubbish, if I'm being honest with you.

On paper, it's worth quite a bit (an AS-Level, or slightly more because the A* grade is accessible), but in practice, I think it holds very little weight with universities, anyone with a bit of nous, and even your own brain, which will not be significantly different once you've got that extra letter on your grade sheet.
And employers will probably think you're bananas if you say you've got an EPQ, expecting them to be impressed!

That said, I'd still recommend doing it! :biggrin:

It's the kind of thing that if you give one, you'll do well on it.
But from what I saw in my school, most saw it as pretty much an exercise in blagging your way through a qualification, and I'd say over 90% of the people who took it just couldn't be bothered, saying that they were just concentrating on their other subjects instead.

You get to do the EPQ in any one of a number of 'styles'.
I chose the 'artefact', which in my opinion was great, because I could write an absolutely massive thesis-thing, and then do a little thousand-word summary in the style of a New Scientist magazine.
Otherwise, you can do a performance or arty-type thing, or just follow the bog-standard 5000-word essay.
(Yes, really, an AS-Level-equivalent for 5000 words!)
With all of these, you have to do a presentation of your findings at the end.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2075
What's the presentation all about? Who do you present it to?
Okay, this is going to be a stupid question (aren't mine all?).

I was told that footnotes/textboxes don't count for the word count. I've got a LOT of footnotes (I basically used them for explaining various concepts instead of putting them in textboxes). This coupled with the equations I've used (take up some fair space) and the pictures/diagrams my supervisor has been insisting I include, my EPQ's going to hit like 20 pages...

Currently, I've got 4,887 words (apparently we can go over the word limit to about 6,000 and they'll allow it?) with about 1800 words (o.O) in footnotes and I'm just finishing up my 13th page. I'm gong to probably need to take up that extra 1,000 words but I'm a bit worried about having 2000 ish words in footnotes :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2077
Just a question about the 5000 work essay.

My question is going to be something on the lines of;
"What caused the financial crisis?" i may even add a little bit to the end of the question like "and to what extend are governments responsible?".
But generally speaking this is a easy question as there are millions of resources and the answering the question is just like writing description of what the **** went worng. Is this okay, or do AQA moderators want some indepth analysis.

Interms of weighting marks. Would you say the essay isnt that important and rather your analysis and idea development will get you the top marks.
How hard is it to get an A/A*, cus looking at the grade boundaries they are always the same. A* 45/50 adn A is 40

Is an EPQ worth doing?, LSE bascially love it, so does Warwick as its stated on their websites. For LSE to say that a good perfoamance in the EPQ will be taken into consideration if you narrowly miss your grade is saying someting.

What do you all think? Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Okay, this is going to be a stupid question (aren't mine all?).

I was told that footnotes/textboxes don't count for the word count. I've got a LOT of footnotes (I basically used them for explaining various concepts instead of putting them in textboxes). This coupled with the equations I've used (take up some fair space) and the pictures/diagrams my supervisor has been insisting I include, my EPQ's going to hit like 20 pages...

Currently, I've got 4,887 words (apparently we can go over the word limit to about 6,000 and they'll allow it?) with about 1800 words (o.O) in footnotes and I'm just finishing up my 13th page. I'm gong to probably need to take up that extra 1,000 words but I'm a bit worried about having 2000 ish words in footnotes :/

that's a lot of footnotes. Maybe you could try putting some of that info into the actual essay.
Original post by corpuscallosum
that's a lot of footnotes. Maybe you could try putting some of that info into the actual essay.

I'm already touching the word limit... :/ I guess I'll just have to start cutting bits out...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending