The Student Room Group

The Official Funding questions/moans/possible joy Thread

Scroll to see replies

I know someone who did it, but she ended up dropping out with the PGDip. Then again, she was also pregnant in addition to a full time job and a full time masters, so I can only assume she didn't sleep for a year to cram it all in! I would suggest trying Barclays though since the CDL loans can be a bit weird in that the banks don't seem to use the same criteria for rejecting people. Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 581
OK, I will defintely try Barclays, I was just worried that applying again would really harm my credit rating :smile:

Thanks for your advice guys !
Reply 582
Sorry for asking this rather stupid question but a simple google search has so far provided zero answers:

I notice that to be eligible for the CDL you need to do a vocational course at Masters Level but my question is what counts as a vocational course? I'm guessing history doesn't count (I wouldn't do that anyway irrespective of the fact I'm a history undergrad) but I am guessing studying law or politics would do? Is that right or is it simply engineering, computer science etc.

Also would history count as a relevant subject if you wanted to study law?

Original post by rascal87
Sorry for asking this rather stupid question but a simple google search has so far provided zero answers:

I notice that to be eligible for the CDL you need to do a vocational course at Masters Level but my question is what counts as a vocational course? I'm guessing history doesn't count (I wouldn't do that anyway irrespective of the fact I'm a history undergrad) but I am guessing studying law or politics would do? Is that right or is it simply engineering, computer science etc.

Also would history count as a relevant subject if you wanted to study law?

Check the other thread for replies :smile:
I have a question...
I was very very very lucky and I won an AHRC award for my masters! As I am a European student it only covers tuition fees but still it's amazing!
Providing that I keep up the good work do you people think I have good chances of being offered an AHRC award for my PhD as well? Ideally from Oxford (where I will be going now) but even at another uni.
Also, do you know if unis cover living expenses for EU AHRC winners with other grants etc? Because three years will be very difficult to fund, even if it's just for living costs.
Original post by Xristina
I have a question...
I was very very very lucky and I won an AHRC award for my masters! As I am a European student it only covers tuition fees but still it's amazing!
Providing that I keep up the good work do you people think I have good chances of being offered an AHRC award for my PhD as well? Ideally from Oxford (where I will be going now) but even at another uni.
Also, do you know if unis cover living expenses for EU AHRC winners with other grants etc? Because three years will be very difficult to fund, even if it's just for living costs.

Congrats! I'd say you have a good chance of getting AHRC from Oxford for your DPhil too. I did both my MSt and DPhil at Oxford (about to begin the latter); I got a RPM AHRC award for my Masters, and was also given an AHRC doctoral award.

It makes sense if you think about it. The Research Preparation Masters award is an investment - they give it to you to train you for doctoral research. So if you reapply for doctoral studies, they'll want to keep you to recoup their Masters investment, so as long as your DPhil proposal is good you should be fine.
Original post by King_Duncan
Congrats! I'd say you have a good chance of getting AHRC from Oxford for your DPhil too. I did both my MSt and DPhil at Oxford (about to begin the latter); I got a RPM AHRC award for my Masters, and was also given an AHRC doctoral award.

It makes sense if you think about it. The Research Preparation Masters award is an investment - they give it to you to train you for doctoral research. So if you reapply for doctoral studies, they'll want to keep you to recoup their Masters investment, so as long as your DPhil proposal is good you should be fine.

Congratulations! Did you finish your masters with a first? Was the award conditional based on your grade?
Also do they offer the same number of AHRC awards for PhD students or are there more available for that level, do you know?

Also can you explain to me what exactly the Je-S account is for? I was told by the uni that they opened an account for me even though I remember reading the student is supposed to do that. Perhaps because it's late they did it for me. Do we have to update it or anything?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Xristina
Congratulations! Did you finish your masters with a first? Was the award conditional based on your grade?
Also do they offer the same number of AHRC awards for PhD students or are there more available for that level, do you know?

Also can you explain to me what exactly the Je-S account is for? I was told by the uni that they opened an account for me even though I remember reading the student is supposed to do that. Perhaps because it's late they did it for me. Do we have to update it or anything?

I'm actually still writing my Masters dissertation - due in at the end of next week :ninja: Because it's a year-long course (MSt Medieval History), my conditions for the DPhil were based on two earlier pieces of work for the Masters, on which I fortunately got the required marks. The AHRC doctoral award did not require any extra conditions beyond those fulfilled to get accepted for the DPhil.

There are normally more AHRC awards at doctoral level than Masters. I don't know about Classics, but the History Faculty has around 8-9 RPM awards and 16-18 doctoral awards each year.

Je-S is a bit of a nightmare, and how much you are expected to do (as opposed to the staff on your behalf) depends on your Faculty. My advice if you're unsure would be to email the staff in charge of graduate admissions/funding at the Classics department and ask them exactly what they need you to do/not to do.
Thanks! They told me there isn't anyhing I need to do. I just wanted to make sure!
Reply 589
Original post by Smophie

Original post by Smophie
OK, I will defintely try Barclays, I was just worried that applying again would really harm my credit rating :smile:

Thanks for your advice guys !

Hi Smophie,

A little bit a of a delayed response I know but I am also in the same position as yourself :redface:( I had banked on getting the CDL as I had heard most people got them with few problems, not the case for me!

I have a couple of work options lined up that I hope are also going to be relevant to my course (MSc Psychological Research Methods) but think alot of determination is going to be needed to get through the next year of cramming work and uni.

I'm thinking of trying Barclays too, so fingers crossed they are bit more generous than the co-op!

Anyway just to let you know you're not alone :redface:)
Reply 590
Hello all

Do the PCDL loans really take 3 months to process? I know there is advisory the it will take that long, but in people's experience how long does it take on average?

Reply 591
I'm really worried about funding now. Is it best to try the PCDL first?
Hey guys.

If you want to apply for PCDLs for a 2011 start, then you REALLY have to apply for them NOW.

Barclays are prone to mess you around if you haven't filled out every single detail (make sure you forget nothing and you send them EXACTLY what they ask for. If you're an online customer with another bank, then you HAVE to request actual printed copies of statements to be sent to you).

Personally, I'd say if youre applying for funding for a 2011 start, then go for Co-Op. From what I've heard, they have a quick turnover because they're used to late applications (alot of people who recieve a rejection from Barclays last minute often go to Co-Op), and they say to apply within 8 weeks of your course starting; they won't do it any sooner, which should mean that, really, they're quicker.

Hope my two cents helps :smile:
Reply 593
Original post by ice_white_tiger
Hey guys.

If you want to apply for PCDLs for a 2011 start, then you REALLY have to apply for them NOW.

Barclays are prone to mess you around if you haven't filled out every single detail (make sure you forget nothing and you send them EXACTLY what they ask for. If you're an online customer with another bank, then you HAVE to request actual printed copies of statements to be sent to you).

Personally, I'd say if youre applying for funding for a 2011 start, then go for Co-Op. From what I've heard, they have a quick turnover because they're used to late applications (alot of people who recieve a rejection from Barclays last minute often go to Co-Op), and they say to apply within 8 weeks of your course starting; they won't do it any sooner, which should mean that, really, they're quicker.

Hope my two cents helps :smile:

If you could make those 2 cents stretch to fund my masters that would be good... :biggrin: Yes it does help thanks, I have applied for mine with co-op last week, been waiting an age to hear back from Brighton Uni, still waiting to hear back from them so have applied with my confirmation from Sussex.
Might give co-cop a bell later, see where I am in the process.
Reply 594
If ti is any use to anyone, I have the direct dial for Co-Op PCDL-saves dialing main number and being transferred.

0845 602 3862 option 2.

Just rang and they have not received my application yet, even though I sent it off on the 19th. Apparently it goes to a distribution center first.... sigh.
Reply 595
UPDATE: I got a text this morning from Co-op saying

"Your PCDL application has now been received and will now be processed.You will hear from us again within 15 working days with a further update."

Oooooh!!
Original post by Smophie
Unfortunately I don't have the funding available, if I can get my tuition paid (which will be over by February) I can drop down to part time hours, it is a job where I can work from home with the hours I choose and I did time table everything I would need to do. Such as lectures, work and homework.

I just wondered if other people had the same situation, luckily aside from work (I'm already doing a 60 hour week now) I have nothing much to do with my time. :smile:

I'm planning the same.

I'm currently working a full time mon-fri job and using my holiday entitlement to be able to do the masters and I also have a part time job on the weekend... (luckily my course is taught in intensive blocks. I think I'm going to die....
Do you think it's possible to find extra funding when you have already started your PhD programme? If this issue has already been discussed here, I do apologize, I just couldn't find any previous posts on this.
Reply 598
Question: Interested in doing Development Studies postgrad, can anyone point me in the direction to search for funding?

Thanks!
Subscribing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending