The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chief Wiggum
I'm just not sure what you mean by looking down because of 5 AS.

Most people will have 4 (maybe 5 if you include GS/CT but they're ignored anyway).

Oh trust me - I know the whole deal about General Studies and Critical Thinking; I'm doing 5 very much real and substantial A levels... but the issue is just what I've said to Ganky...
Reply 61
Well tell em to **** off, don't take any of that bs. What subjects you doing?
Original post by Ganky
Well tell em to **** off, don't take any of that bs. What subjects you doing?

Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths and Philosophy. :ta: But I only do them because they're great - plus the sciences overlap a great deal Thanks =D
Reply 63
Hey all, will be applying! :biggrin: Still torn between which college to go for, oh how the daunting process commences :tongue:
i was torn between Caius and Emma. but the ducks won it for me <3
Does the school send the CSAS form, or do you send it personally?
Have you guys included a "science"-ey paragraph in your personal statement, as in any books/journals/magazines you read and what you gained and learned from them? I know Oxbridge likes the science in Medicine, I just can't find a way to fit it in my PS :confused:
Reply 67
Original post by instrumentalist
Have you guys included a "science"-ey paragraph in your personal statement, as in any books/journals/magazines you read and what you gained and learned from them? I know Oxbridge likes the science in Medicine, I just can't find a way to fit it in my PS :confused:

I will definitely include a paragraph on the sciences (since we haven't really studied medicine yet, science is as academically close as we get). In my personal opinion I think that the books you've read etcetc can be included in the SAQ instead. With that said, if there is a piece of writing that has greatly influenced you're decision to become a doctor or played an important role in your interest in the sciences then do, by all means, include it.
Hey all,

GOOD LUCK WITH THE BMAT.

I've had a few people messaging me, asking me how I prepared for section two.

Please see my signature for the 2004 GCSE Curriculum in which BMAT S2 is based on.

Feel free to PM me if you ned any further advice.

xxx
For people doing BMAT,

In section 2, is anyone finding it bizarre that there are so many questions on stuff that were not learnt in much detail at GCSE or AS? I mean...there are questions on the menstrual cycle in the 400Q book, i've never learnt about it, i'm on the OCR exam board

Edit: Just read above post, it's based on 2004 curriculum? O_o
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by EternalDoom
For people doing BMAT,

In section 2, is anyone finding it bizarre that there are so many questions on stuff that were not learnt in much detail at GCSE or AS? I mean...there are questions on the menstrual cycle in the 400Q book, i've never learnt about it, i'm on the OCR exam board

Edit: Just read above post, it's based on 2004 curriculum? O_o

+rep for you.

Yes it is :smile:
It's a bit ridiculous... because we were never taught that stuff!
But yeah - just go through the specification and learn it. It's not that much really. x
Reply 71
Original post by Coke Or Pepsi
+rep for you.

Yes it is :smile:
It's a bit ridiculous... because we were never taught that stuff!
But yeah - just go through the specification and learn it. It's not that much really. x

From the wesbite:

"Please note: Questions from Section 2 in the Specimen Paper and the Past Paper are based around the National Curriculum published prior to 2006.

BMAT Section 2 will always be based around the relevant version of the National Curriculum taken by the majority of the cohort."

So they have changed the spec? Also I couldn't find that link from your sig on the website, where is it located? :smile:
Original post by Nator
From the wesbite:

"Please note: Questions from Section 2 in the Specimen Paper and the Past Paper are based around the National Curriculum published prior to 2006.

BMAT Section 2 will always be based around the relevant version of the National Curriculum taken by the majority of the cohort."

So they have changed the spec? Also I couldn't find that link from your sig on the website, where is it located? :smile:

Published prior (before) to 2006 indicates to me the next available spec... which is 2004. But this is the list I used anyway and it covered all the science I found in all the BMAT prep books.

I'm not sure where I got it from! I found it such a long time ago... and I lost it and it took me ages to find it again. But it is tucked away somewhere... it's just a pain to find.
Guys, look at the context of what they are saying:

Past Paper 2009 refers to the National Curriculum taught from 2006.

Doesn't seem that hard to understand. Some of the practice papers are based on older stuff and some on newer stuff. I think I vaguely remember covering aspects of the menstrual cycle at GCSE on Edexcel.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by instrumentalist

Cambridge will send you another form online where there is space to write about books you've read. So don't worry if you can't fit it in the PS.
Original post by Coke Or Pepsi
Hey all,

GOOD LUCK WITH THE BMAT.

I've had a few people messaging me, asking me how I prepared for section two.

Please see my signature for the 2004 GCSE Curriculum in which BMAT S2 is based on.

Feel free to PM me if you ned any further advice.

xxx

Thanks for that! At least its a list which I can work through and brush up on my knowledge! :cool:
Reply 76
hey I've got 7 A*, 3 As and 1 B in GCSE, in a-levels bio-270, chem-266, maths-284, physics-285 and further maths - 278.
Just wondering should I apply for medicine in oxbridge???
Original post by rabara
hey I've got 7 A*, 3 As and 1 B in GCSE, in a-levels bio-270, chem-266, maths-284, physics-285 and further maths - 278.
Just wondering should I apply for medicine in oxbridge???

You might need some work exp even for oxbridge (they mentioned it at the Cambridge open day) but academically you look strong. I would say your academics would be better for Cambridge specifically because Oxford don't look at your AS results but it really is your choice.
Hello everyone, how're you all? Just wondering, what colleges are considered to be more competitive for Medicine? :smile:
Original post by infintywhirls
Hello everyone, how're you all? Just wondering, what colleges are considered to be more competitive for Medicine? :smile:

Traditionally, I think it's Caius, Emma, and Downing.

I wouldn't really worry too much though, it fluctuates quite a bit year to year. And I wouldn't even say those colleges are actually much harder to get into tbh.

Latest

Trending

Trending