The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
So far I have:
A shoebox filled with my pens, pencils, erasers etc. (for moving XD), three green ring binders, 3 pink collapsible fruit crates (using as stackable shelves XD), 2 file trays, a clip board, a fridge magneted "To Do" list (for shopping lists), a mini whiteboard, some pink wicker boxes, 2 lever arch files, a magazine file, 2 large laundry baskets, an a4 paper pad (I'll buy more after Saturday), 3 hardback A5 notebooks (for compiling notes in a size which I can keep in me handbag.) aaand a BIG plastic box for everything else XD

I'll prolly buy a load more...first thing I go to whenever we go to a shop is the stationary :smile:.

Mmm..love these fineliners :u:
This will sound like a silly question, but how exactly do you write in a diary?

Let's say it's September 26th and you get set an essay for October 15th, are you meant to write this in the September 26th space or the October 15th place? Can you tell I've never had a planner? :colondollar:
Reply 43
Original post by lil sister

Let's say it's September 26th and you get set an essay for October 15th, are you meant to write this in the September 26th space or the October 15th place? Can you tell I've never had a planner? :colondollar:

In my school/college diaries I'd write them on the date I got them (and in the past I've had a "due date" column where you write in the date). That way once you open up the double page for your week, you'll see what you've been assigned. For longer assignments you may have to flick back a few pages, but it's better to know to flick back than to realise you have an assignment due in a couple of days.

edit: Maybe on the due date you could also have something written like, "Assignment x due in, see Sept. 26".
my advice don't buy expensive a4 lined paper for rough notes especially as you are student. buy the cheap basic ranges in tesco/asda and save your money.
Reply 45
Original post by lil sister

Personally, I would write it in the October 15th space, because it's a task for that day, if that makes sense. Although I also go back and write in the space for notes "<x> essay due on October 15th!" so I don't get a shock when I turn the page.
you write on the day it's due or if its an academic planner on the assignments list on the front few pages.
Reply 48
I use one of those WHSmith Expanding Organisers, so I can divide my notes up by module.
Original post by Choccielatte
Me too :biggrin:!

They're amazing for fountain pens and general organisation :smile:

Which is the best Moleskine diary for students? There are so many :eek:
Original post by maskofsanity
Which is the best Moleskine diary for students? There are so many :eek:

I just got the large, hardcover July 2011 - 12 one off Amazon.

There's several pages for timetables and lots of space to write assignment details etc.
Original post by diamonddust

Oh and for Paperchase fans, I may have found a place even better! http://www.artbox.co.uk/stationery-sticky-notes-c-35_106.html

:eek: How did I not know about this? THANK YOU :grin:
Well, I don't know about an academic planner or pens or lined paper or post-it notes, but I have found my ERASER :grin:

http://www.artbox.co.uk/eraser-cube-p-6765.html
Couldn't resist it any longer, i've ordered one of those Palgrave student planners too :biggrin: They sound really good going by the reviews on Amazon.

That'll be the 3rd diary i've bought so far for uni, that's a bit weird really isn't it :redface: I always buy one and then find a better one, then a better one than that...
Reply 54
Original post by Little Thorn

Mmm..love these fineliners :u:

What a coincidence! I just ordered those from Amazon along with this and I got them free because I traded in my old textbooks to Amazon and got a £26 giftcard! :awesome: I would never have got them normally because they're so expensive.

Original post by ellanachughtai
my advice don't buy expensive a4 lined paper for rough notes especially as you are student. buy the cheap basic ranges in tesco/asda and save your money.

Ah but the supermarkets don't do narrow ruled paper. I tried writing on wide ruled for a whole month during my A levels and I couldn't bear to re-read my notes. :colondollar:

Original post by Spacecat
Personally, I would write it in the October 15th space, because it's a task for that day, if that makes sense. Although I also go back and write in the space for notes "<x> essay due on October 15th!" so I don't get a shock when I turn the page.

This is what I do too. And I write 'DO THE ESSAY YOU WERE SET!' every (other:tongue:) day in between when it was set and the deadline because I know what I'm like! :tongue:
I love this thread! :biggrin: People think I'm weird when I say I love getting new stationery! I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I love organising all my work and things...

This year, I'm trying something slightly different. In my 1st year, I had 6 different notebooks for my 6 different modules and would carry all the ones in everyday and it would become very annoying with books to bring in also. I did the same for the 2nd semester of 1st year. In my 2nd year, I got a notebook divided into 5 sections and got an extra two for two subjects which would have required more pages than were in the 5 notebook one and I did the same for the 2nd semester of 2nd year.

This year, what I have decided to do is get an ordinary notepad and write everything down in it and then copy everything neatly into separate notebooks for each modules and only take them with me around exam times so I have the neat, easy to read and tidy versions of all my work with me. I'm hoping that if I do it this way, some things might stick in my memory longer also. I'll do whatever during the week and at the weekends copy everything into the other notebooks. It has proved helpful for a couple of my friends and provides a bit of revision on weekends or whenever you are copying your work over.

I have gotten a folder with 12 dividers so I can use it for the year (6 modules each semester), have my one notebook which I will bring with me at all times, have my pencil case sorted and also my bag. I only have to pick up 6 individual notebooks and I know which ones I want and where to get them so if I can get 6, that will do me for the year because modules for me tend to be carry on (Example; This semester I do Financial Accounting 5, next semester I will do Financial Accounting 6) and there is enough pages in one of the notebooks to do this. One other thing I need to buy is a smaller notebook which I can write assignments, work, important dates, exam dates or anything else I will need handy. Last year I got a Pukka Pad one which was divided into 3 sections so I used one for the first semester, the second for the second semester and the last one was for all other important dates and stuff, it was very handy to have!

Didn't spend much on stationery either this year;
Folder: €2
Dividers: €0.55
A4 Notepad x2: €4 (€2 each)
Packet of pens: €2
Packet of pencils: €2
Total cost: €10.55
And I still need to pick up the notebooks and a new pukka pad so maybe another €10 or so. And then for my second semester of this year all I'll need to pick up will probably be one or two more A4 notepads because I will have everything else so I'm very happy with myself. :smile:
Ahh I love this thread :love:

I have a question for all you fellow stationary people :tongue:

Does anyone know where to get loose lined paper ? Like the ones schools have ? There's like 1000 pieces of paper in each bundled all loose, not in a refill pad or anything. I've tried looking and not found it yet :/ And also does anyone know where to get the double booklet paper type thing from ??

P.S. I apologise if this doesn't make sense lol I don't know how to describe it! :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by diamonddust
What a coincidence! I just ordered those from Amazon along with this and I got them free because I traded in my old textbooks to Amazon and got a £26 giftcard! :awesome: I would never have got them normally because they're so expensive.

Ah but the supermarkets don't do narrow ruled paper. I tried writing on wide ruled for a whole month during my A levels and I couldn't bear to re-read my notes. :colondollar:

This is what I do too. And I write 'DO THE ESSAY YOU WERE SET!' every (other:tongue:) day in between when it was set and the deadline because I know what I'm like! :tongue:

oo how did you trade in your old textbooks with them? :smile:
Reply 58
i always used to (and i guess i still do) love these sort of thing...

http://www.ryman.co.uk/0716200412/Snopake-Meeting-Mate-A4/Product

they just make me feel so organised xD
Reply 59
Original post by iHeartCookies
Ahh I love this thread :love:

I have a question for all you fellow stationary people :tongue:

Does anyone know where to get loose lined paper ? Like the ones schools have ? There's like 1000 pieces of paper in each bundled all loose, not in a refill pad or anything. I've tried looking and not found it yet :/ And also does anyone know where to get the double booklet paper type thing from ??

P.S. I apologise if this doesn't make sense lol I don't know how to describe it! :redface:

I've seen loose sheets of lined paper in Rymans. :smile:

Original post by Antifazian
oo how did you trade in your old textbooks with them? :smile:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trade-In/b?ie=UTF8&node=440443031

You find your textbooks or video games (!) by searching and then press trade in and you'll see what price they'll give you for it. Sometimes it isn't worth it because they undercharge you for a book that costs more but on the whole, it's fairly good. Once you've figured out what you're going to trade in, you print out a label and package the books, go to a post office and get them to verify that you've sent them out and then you post them for free. They'll email you and tell you that it's been recieved and add a gift card with the money to your amazon account! :biggrin:
Not too shabby! I'm a bit surprised because they said they wanted things that hadn't been written on and there was a number in pen on the inside cover of one of my books but it was in otherwise perfect condition and they accepted it!