The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medicine Applicants 2012

Poll

How many A*s do you have at GCSE? (Cardiff count up to 9 GCSEs, and no Short Courses)

Couldn't see a thread for Cardiff, so here goes!

Anyone who has any useful Cardiff-related application info, feel free to post it here :rolleyes: If you went to the Open Day, how'd you find it? Did everyone's ASs/UKCAT go alright, and how are peoples' statements coming along?

From what I've read, the cycle goes something like this:

1. Academic screening. Anyone who doesn't meet the minimum academic requirements is rejected (bar people with mitigating circumstances).
(GCSE English/Welsh- B, GCSE Maths- B, GCSE Double Science- AA, GCSE Triple Science- AAB, GCE- AAAc with either bio or chem at A2, as well as one other science. If bio or chem aren't taken to A2, they must be at an A grade for AS).

2. Academic ranking. Everyone is ranked according to what they've already acheived in either GCSE or GCE A2- they don't rank according to ASs or predicted grades. A select proportion are rejected at this stage.

3. Non-academic assessment. PS and reference are scored and ranked on the following:
- Medical motivation and awareness of the career
- Caring ethos and a sense of social awareness
- Sense of responsibility
- Non-academic interests and personal achievements
- Study skills
- Referee’s report
A select proportion are rejected after the ranking.

4. Interviews. UKCAT 'may be used' at this point to make sure that the right number of applicants are interviewed. Interviews are held from November to February, and test whether applicants "have the interpersonal skills to be able to communicate effectively and whether they have a balanced approach to life." The highest scoring applicants get an offer.

Best of luck with applications everyone! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'll be a 1st year Cardiff medic this year so, if anyone has any questions about applying, I'd be happy to (try to) answer them :smile:

By the way, my interview was in April so don't get too stressed if they take forever and a day to get back to you! :tongue:
Reply 2
What is a good enough UKCAT score to get an offer/interview from Cardiff? Mine was not too high, and also do they have a specific criteria for each section, ie you must score over 600 in each section or do they just look at your average score?
Original post by mez123
What is a good enough UKCAT score to get an offer/interview from Cardiff? Mine was not too high, and also do they have a specific criteria for each section, ie you must score over 600 in each section or do they just look at your average score?

Cardiff only really use the UKCAT when deciding between 'borderline' applicants. Two of my friends had scores below 600 and both had offers so, if the rest of your application is strong, I wouldn't worry too much about it!
Reply 4
Hi :smile:

I'm really glad that someone made a thread for this!

I'm on a gap year at the moment (decided not to apply last year), so I've already got my grades :smile:

Good luck everyone!
I'm probably applying - still waiting on actually sitting the UKCAT though :smile:
Reply 6
I've been thinking about applying, especially since my UKCAT score wasn't too good. Good luck to everyone else, and thanks for the information - very helpful.
Reply 7
Im applying to Cardiff this year,

Anyone got any idea of how many applicants/offer there are?
Reply 8
Last year (2011 entry) It was roughly 3000 applicants for 300 places.
Reply 9
Original post by Elwyn
Last year (2011 entry) It was roughly 3000 applicants for 300 places.

Thanks
Original post by Kidneyjean
Couldn't see a thread for Cardiff, so here goes!

Anyone who has any useful Cardiff-related application info, feel free to post it here :rolleyes: If you went to the Open Day, how'd you find it? Did everyone's ASs/UKCAT go alright, and how are peoples' statements coming along?

From what I've read, the cycle goes something like this:

1. Academic screening. Anyone who doesn't meet the minimum academic requirements is rejected (bar people with mitigating circumstances).
(GCSE English/Welsh- B, GCSE Maths- B, GCSE Double Science- AA, GCSE Triple Science- AAB, GCE- AAAc with either bio or chem at A2, as well as one other science. If bio or chem aren't taken to A2, they must be at an A grade for AS).

2. Academic ranking. Everyone is ranked according to what they've already acheived in either GCSE or GCE A2- they don't rank according to ASs or predicted grades. A select proportion are rejected at this stage.

3. Non-academic assessment. PS and reference are scored and ranked on the following:
- Medical motivation and awareness of the career
- Caring ethos and a sense of social awareness
- Sense of responsibility
- Non-academic interests and personal achievements
- Study skills
- Referee’s report
A select proportion are rejected after the ranking.

4. Interviews. UKCAT 'may be used' at this point to make sure that the right number of applicants are interviewed. Interviews are held from November to February, and test whether applicants "have the interpersonal skills to be able to communicate effectively and whether they have a balanced approach to life." The highest scoring applicants get an offer.

Best of luck with applications everyone! :smile:

Great! I'm actually doing a refereeing course in a months time...
Reply 11
UKCAT is finally done after putting it off for so long!

Starting college tomorrow to do some more A-levels so my super, super long summer is finally over! :tongue:
I'm applying too :biggrin: ... Just thought I'd mention :h:
Original post by Cerys :)
UKCAT is finally done after putting it off for so long!

Starting college tomorrow to do some more A-levels so my super, super long summer is finally over! :tongue:

It feels so good once it's over, doesn't it? :tongue:

That's great! Which subjects? You've already got the grades, so I'm guessing that they're more for enjoyment?

Do you have any work experience lined up? :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by x_Melissa_x
It feels so good once it's over, doesn't it? :tongue:

That's great! Which subjects? You've already got the grades, so I'm guessing that they're more for enjoyment?

Do you have any work experience lined up? :smile:

It really does!

Yeah, they're mainly to stop me from getting bored! I'm doing A2 Welsh (Only really doing it because I already have an A at AS, so I only need a C to get an A overall), AS English and also a couple of Maths modules, so I get an 'Applied AS' :smile:

Work experience/ voluntary work/ ECs so far:

- 3 years in a hospice (ongoing)
- 8 days with a GP (spread over a few months)
- 16 months in a centre for disabled adults (2 evenings a week)
- 3 days on a ward (more planned over the next year)
- 2 days in theatre (really enjoyed it!)
- 2 years as a Childline 'peer mentor'
- 6 weeks in a drug rehabilitation centre (twice a week)
- Childline and Samaritans helpline occasionally (been about 6 times in the last year)
- 1 year in a care home (just on Sundays)
- 5 years for a local charity (fundraising, working in their shop etc.)
- Occasionally help out with the hospital radio and children's club

- 2 years as a dance instructor
- Almost 3 years as a youth club leader
- Play netball and hockey for my county
- Grade 8 piano and singing, grade 7 cello and grade 5 violin
- GCSE Maths tutor
- Part-time job: Sales assistant and model - Hollister

I'll update it when I think of more :smile: It'll really help me to remember things for any interviews!
It really does!

Yeah, they're mainly to stop me from getting bored! I'm doing A2 Welsh (Only really doing it because I already have an A at AS, so I only need a C to get an A overall), AS English and also a couple of Maths modules, so I get an 'Applied AS' :smile:

- Childline and Samaritans helpline occasionally (been about 6 times in the last year)

- GCSE Maths tutor

I'll update it when I think of more :smile: It'll really help me to remember things for any interviews!

... wow! My w/e and stuff looks rubbish (to put it politely) compared to yours... I really hope they don't look at your application and then mine!
Reply 16
Original post by Quackers93
... wow! My w/e and stuff looks rubbish (to put it politely) compared to yours... I really hope they don't look at your application and then mine!

I bet yours is great! I didn't feel like I'd done anything until I wrote it down, so you've probably done more than you thought and it's definitely quality over quantity!

My cousin applied for Medicine 3 years ago, so I've been lucky in that I've had all his contacts for work experience and stuff :smile:
I bet yours is great! I didn't feel like I'd done anything until I wrote it down, so you've probably done more than you thought and it's definitely quality over quantity!

My cousin applied for Medicine 3 years ago, so I've been lucky in that I've had all his contacts for work experience and stuff :smile:

It actually isn't... I'm just gonna try and make it seem more than it actually is lol But I have learnt stuff and I can reflect on it so hopefully I'll be ok :tongue:

Ah lucky! None of my family are in it and we didn't really have any contacts. I couldn't get anything in my area (even consultant at local hospital couldn't get his own son in!) But I eventually got a week in Swansea though my uncles girlfriends brother lol Just a few hundred miles for work experience... hope it shows commitment! lol
It really does!

- GCSE Maths tutor

Well done! You should have plenty to talk about!

What else are you planning to do with your 'gap year'? Carrying on the the w/e you've already done or...? :smile:
hii , i am from egypt studying medicine and wanna ask about international rotations and internships in uk and if there is anyone can help me in that

Quick Reply