The Student Room Group

Lloyds Scholars Scheme

I got an email about this today and am tempted. Is anyone else applying?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What is it?
Reply 2
Seems like it's Lloyds way of grooming potential future employees, offering money for their education and oppurtunities to train as a manager etc. for their company.

I've applied, seeing as it was there, but they do say that one has to complete 100 or so hours of voluntary work for them each year that one is involved with the programme. Secondly, my application was successful, but I then had to do a "Numerical Ability Test", which is an online test where you have 17 minutes to answer 18 questions based on statistics and tables. Fairly standard stuff for most Maths students I should think, but it's been a while since I've had to strain my brain in a mathematical direction....

I'd say, if you want a little extra dosh and you can apply, then do it. Just be aware that it's a little maths heavy, and you will have to do voluntary work on their behalf :smile: hope I've helped
Original post by Rickardd0
Seems like it's Lloyds way of grooming potential future employees, offering money for their education and oppurtunities to train as a manager etc. for their company.

I've applied, seeing as it was there, but they do say that one has to complete 100 or so hours of voluntary work for them each year that one is involved with the programme. Secondly, my application was successful, but I then had to do a "Numerical Ability Test", which is an online test where you have 17 minutes to answer 18 questions based on statistics and tables. Fairly standard stuff for most Maths students I should think, but it's been a while since I've had to strain my brain in a mathematical direction....

I'd say, if you want a little extra dosh and you can apply, then do it. Just be aware that it's a little maths heavy, and you will have to do voluntary work on their behalf :smile: hope I've helped

Did you use your UCAS personal statement or CV? My personal statement was all about History.. So I'm wondering if it's appropriate.
Reply 4
I used the same personal statement that I wrote for UCAS. Should be fine
Reply 5

Hi Richardo, what sort of stats and maths is there on the numerical maths test? standard deviation? bionomial distribution? I haven't studied maths for a year and a half so if you could give me a list of the sorts of stuff on the test, then that would be helpful so i can just go over it and revise some of the stuff before i take the test.

thanks Pritesh
Reply 6
Original post by pritesham
Hi Richardo, what sort of stats and maths is there on the numerical maths test? standard deviation? bionomial distribution? I haven't studied maths for a year and a half so if you could give me a list of the sorts of stuff on the test, then that would be helpful so i can just go over it and revise some of the stuff before i take the test.

thanks Pritesh

My god... being an airheaded drama and english student, I'm afraid I haven't a clue what standard deviation/bionomial distribution etc. entail...

Shall answer your question to the best of my ability though. Essentially, the test showed tables of financial data, and the questions asked you to either a) select a piece of data from the table, b) work out increasing or decreasing percentages or c) make predictions based on the data.

Perhaps more helpful to you is the fact that there is a practice test, which you can take as many times as you like.

Should add that I took the test and half guessed most of the answers, and I've since had to make an appointment online for a 30 minute telephone interview with Lloyds.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
hi rickarddo ive applied to this thing as well did the numerical test recently which i think i might have messed up and havnt heard from lloyds since. wondering what was the peiod between you doing the online test and hearing from lloyds about a telephone interview??

thanks
I completely forgot to send of my application! duhhh! But I've just done it now. I know this is pretty lame, but do you think General Studies counts as part of the points?
Reply 9
Original post by sheffuni
hi rickarddo ive applied to this thing as well did the numerical test recently which i think i might have messed up and havnt heard from lloyds since. wondering what was the peiod between you doing the online test and hearing from lloyds about a telephone interview??

thanks

Not long at all mate. Can't remember exactly, but it was no longer than an hour. Seemed pretty quick.
Reply 10
i cant see anything of interest to them on my ucas personal statement :/ think my cv would be more use lol
Reply 11
Original post by jdf1993
i cant see anything of interest to them on my ucas personal statement :/ think my cv would be more use lol

I would say that mine didn't either. I geared my personal statement towards a language or theatre studies course... Went on about productions I'd been in and experiences abroad.

Reckon they want to look at the quality and register of your writing. Shouldn't matter whether the personal statement isn't full on relevant :smile:
Just done the maths test. I kind of had a mad panic and then realised I looked at the timer wrong, but fingers crossed it'll work out alright!!!
Reply 13
still worrying about what to send :/ think theyll be annoyed if i made my personal statement and cv into one document and sent it? loll
Reply 14
jdf1993, I'd say send the CV if you must, but the personal statement should be fine. Why do you think there's nothing of interest to them in it?

And fortunecookie, if I could do it, anyone can :smile: my maths skills are near non-existent nowadays. You'll be fine
Reply 15
because about 80% of it is about aerospace engineering with some technical language in their too :/ at least my CVs got my GCSEs on it and more extra curricular stuff?
Reply 16
Original post by jdf1993
because about 80% of it is about aerospace engineering with some technical language in their too :/ at least my CVs got my GCSEs on it and more extra curricular stuff?

?

Don't really see the problem there. They're looking for intelligent, driven people... No matter what their calling.

Not sure that they'll care about your GCSEs. After all, the application is based on your A Levels :biggrin:

Finally, they'll ask about extra curricular stuff in the phone interview.
Reply 17

Thanks Rickardd0,
i just got the email from lloyds about the numerical test yesterday. I cant find the practice test, could you please tell me where to find it or send me a link.

Which uni are you going? Bristol or Sheffield?
Reply 18
I'm off to Sheffield, Pritesham :smile:

And as far as the numerical test goes, read the email. It says that there is a link to it on your application. Login, and it should be in a pretty obvious place.

Richard
Original post by jdf1993
still worrying about what to send :/ think theyll be annoyed if i made my personal statement and cv into one document and sent it? loll

My statement was completely irrelevant and I still cringe when I read it. I sent it regardless and I've now got to take the test.

I'd just send it if I were you :]

Quick Reply

Latest