The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine MBChB A100 Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Only 9 GCSEs count, so 18 is the max. score.
You see how the cut off point was 17 last year for gcse points; did the people with 17 points and over get an automatic interview or is it that theit application will be further considered?

Thanks.
Reply 42
I don't know what the process is for those with 17 or 18 points; but they will have qualified for the "next round". It is clear that anyone with less than 17 will not be in the play-offs, though.
Hey guys, might apply here for A100 2012 entry :biggrin:

Good luck to all of you applying :tongue:
Reply 44
Original post by itsabreeze
You should be fine with your GCSEs. I think the Liverpool GCSE entry requirements as described on their website STINKS. " ...least a score of 15 points or better (where A*/A = 2; B = 1)..." gives encouragement to applicants with 15, 16, 17 & 18 points. However, after all applications are in, Liverpool then apply a cut-off, which was 17 points last year. So all applicants with 15 and 16 points were immediately out. Yet the entry requirements are the same this year. To hide this cut-off process is hideous behaviour as all applicants with 15 and 16 points will think to themselves "Yep, I met that entry requirement. Now it's down to my A levels, PS, reference etc."

Shame on you, Liverpool Uni.

Is this true?
I was considering applying, now I may not. I have 15 points at GCSE.
Hey guys, I got A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AB

The stupid B was in English Language, meaning my score is 17. Does any one know what the cut off was for previous years?
Reply 46
Original post by racer_dude
Is this true?
I was considering applying, now I may not. I have 15 points at GCSE.

Give the Admissions Office a call and ask them when was the last time that the cut-off was 15 points. Then, when they reply that it has never been that low, ask them why they are encouraging applications from candidates with 15 points if there is no chance of such applications progressing.
I heard that Liverpool is much less accepting of gap year students than other unis. Any truth to that?
Just to let you know, guys, you can apply to Liverpool and Lancaster (and neither use UKCAT :teeth:). I intend to. :smile:
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Just to let you know, guys, you can apply to Liverpool and Lancaster (and neither use UKCAT :teeth:). I intend to. :smile:

Do you know if it's risky to apply to both since their admission criteria is identical?
:s-smilie:
Original post by This Honest
Do you know if it's risky to apply to both since their admission criteria is identical?
:s-smilie:

Fair point. But when you have a low UKCAT tbh there's not much option. :p: You take a risk with any PS-focused uni, really, I would imagine they all score in similar ways.
Original post by Cutaneoplast™
So does Birmingham and Bristol. :wink:

Ah yes. :smile: Thanks. Although Brum want GCSEs I haven't got and Bristol are one of the psycho unis that seem to reject everyone ever (plus they do it slowly and painfully :frown:)
decided i'm gna apply :biggrin:

Though dont they usually get like 3000-4000 applications every year? :unimpressed:
Reply 53
I took triple science in GCSE which gave me 5 awards (phy, chem, bio and double science). Will it be considered as 5 separate GCSEs so that I can get 10 points for A*/A or otherwise it will be considered only as 3 subjects. Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Original post by kusa
I took triple science in GCSE which gave me 5 awards (phy, chem, bio and double science). Will it be considered as 5 separate GCSEs so that I can get 10 points for A*/A or otherwise it will be considered only as 3 subjects. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

:lolwut:

I thought triple science consists of 3 GCSEs not five?
Core n double lead up to the triple award.
Reply 55
Original post by This Honest
:lolwut:

I thought triple science consists of 3 GCSEs not five?
Core n double lead up to the triple award.

Thats what I thought lol!
Decided to apply here!
Original post by areyousure?
Decided to apply here!

Ditto! :borat:
Reply 58
Ok so at GCSE I got A*AAAAAAAB as well as 2 BTEC First Diplomas (in sport and music) at grade Distinction*.

So, just to check, I do have 18 points right? The BTEC Diplomas, according to their word doc, are both worth 2 points each. I just want to absolutely clarify :tongue:
Reply 59
I'm slightly worried if there is anything against gap year students, surely having your grades isn't a bad thing?

Quick Reply

Latest