The Student Room Group

The Manchester City Society II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Niall2407
Whilst I am not a fan of Garry Cook, he played a major role in getting Man City to where they are and the players they have brought. Cook played a major role in the signings of Robinho, Tevez, Aguero and Nasri

Not really, this is the joker who tried to blame Milan after Kaka's transfer failed and tried to goad United before the Carling Cup semi final. City have done well to rid themselves of him, his continuous foot in mouth moments were bringing negative press, executives in football should stay out of the papers instead of trying to hog the limelight.
Bit worried about today's game. A lot of the players will be thinking about the CL and Wigan have obviously targeted it as a game they could get a result in (Hence the mind games). Imo they will expect an unchanged side and will obviously aim to stick two men in the space Nasri and Silva terrorised last game, probably aim to cut out more crosses at the front post since we haven't floated any yet.

Just hope we're treating them with enough respect.
Hart
Richards Kompany Lescott Clichey
Silva Toure Milner Johnson
Aguero Tevez

Definitely playing, the OS seems to have only announced 10 men.

Edit: Ah Johnson starts.

Subs: Kolo, Dzeko, Balotelli, Zabaleta, Razak, Pantilimon, Nasri

Mmmm, hopefully we can get a decent lead and bring Razak on for Toure plus Balo for someone.
(edited 12 years ago)
Played well for the most part. Some proper wasteful finishing though, we should be at least 3-0 up.
Aye. Should've had another penalty but no doubt Tevez would have took it.

We really really need another goal just so I can calm down.
Nasri with yet another assist.... 4 in about 95 minutes lol.
Reply 2026
Aguero is a beast.
Starting to see how he set up a side to win 17 on the bounce, obviously we won't go that far but you can just see it in how we play and conserve energy.

No-one played especially well, we just looked unplayable.
Who is this Razak guy? Is he from your youth system?
Original post by bendtner.is.sick
Who is this Razak guy? Is he from your youth system?

Yeah he is although I'm not sure how far into it he entered (Ie as a 6 or 16 year old). Meant to be very highly rated and looked decent when he came on. If he can get it into his head he'll impress Mancini by just keeping the ball and being unspectacular he'll go far, lost it twice dribbling too far up the pitch but his passing looked good and he's a big unit so I could see him getting game time.
DAvid silva is seriously sick
Original post by warwickorbristol
Yeah he is although I'm not sure how far into it he entered (Ie as a 6 or 16 year old). Meant to be very highly rated and looked decent when he came on. If he can get it into his head he'll impress Mancini by just keeping the ball and being unspectacular he'll go far, lost it twice dribbling too far up the pitch but his passing looked good and he's a big unit so I could see him getting game time.

I had to ask because any youngster that gets some gets some game time considering the depth and calibre of your squad must be more than decent.
In the spoiler is what each player signed Aguero's match ball with.

Spoiler

Mancini :love:
Reply 2033
Original post by warwickorbristol
In the spoiler is what each player signed Aguero's match ball with.

Spoiler

Mancini :love:

Who, who? Crazy argentinians
Barry (ankle), De Jong (foot) and Milner (concussion) out for the Napoli game. Milner a direct result of a very poor tackle from a Wigan player. Bit annoying but they're all short term injuries.

Mancio will probably go for a Yaya and Zaba duo. Apparently Razak isn't even available, wish he was :frown:

Also we've won 11 of our last 12 competitive games :eek:
(edited 12 years ago)
I have my tickets for the game tonight. I really can't wait. I mean the excitement, it's like a child on Christmas Eve. All my life I've been waiting to see Manchester City play in the Champions League and I've had to put up with watching the other team in town pass us by rack up the trophies et al. I never in my wildest dreams imagined that City would ever play in the Champions League but they will be tonight and I'm going to be there.

What's even better is that I believe we genuinely have a decent chance of winning the tournament. We have a squad able to compete with the best in Europe and I think we can do what Arsenal and United have failed to do in recent times and actually beat Barcelona and perhaps go all the way.
"I am beginning to understand how much this game against Napoli, and this whole competition, means to City's fans. They believe we can go a long way in this competition and I think they are right.

"We have all the conditions in place to go much further than anyone might have expected just a few months ago.

"But we are starting to appreciate that for the City fans, who have supported the club in difficult moments over many years, it will mean most to them if we do well."

From Aguero, good that the club have kept our foreign non-English speaking stars up to date on the fans.

Can't wait for tonight either. When the music starts playing :coma:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Decent result and decent performance. Thought we were very very lucky to get back into the game, their wall seemed too far over and it allowed Kolarov a relatively simple free kick. Again poor finishing was the problem - we had atleast 2 free headers from set pieces and they didn't have men on the line. Yaya should have buried his chance but I'll forgive him for the Wembley finishes.

Over all I thought the problem was a lack of patience and self control. Kompany was trying to constantly win the ball and lost his man who hit the bar, Nasri and Silva were always trying to force it while they could have probed more but we did recycle attacks better than I've ever seen us - mostly down to Lescott constantly winning the ball and importantly heading to a blue shirt. For all that *******s though the bottom line is we won enough corners and freekicks around the area to score atleast one before they scored. People laughed when Mancini said we need to improve our finishing but last night was exactly why, top teams won't give us a string of one on ones and free shots in the box.

Oh and lucky us, Clattenburg is in charge of the Fulham game :colonhash:
Reply 2038
How did Napoli behave last night?

I think your fans are going to be in for a shock if you think you can go over and befriend the locals over there.
Err not as bad as they could've but hardly perfect;
- Few got beyond the stewards when they scored
- Heard a story of about 10 scouse lads + a few City fans getting chased about by a group of older Napoli fans
- When I was walking up to the ground we were stuck behind a big group (say 100-300) under a police escourt. Literally 5 riot vans full riding behind and a circle of police, apparently they started to kick off a bit until the police got the dogs out and they behaved.

Completely agree mate. I don't know why you'd risk going over unless you actually wanted trouble.

Quick Reply