The Student Room Group

Imperial College Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by englishman129
Don't cash in your AS's and if you got AAA prediction there's no reason why you shouldn't apply. Just work hard next year on A Levels and try and do as well as possible on the most important - BMAT exam.

My school is refusing to predict me A*s saying it'll be hard to get and since I didn't get 90%+ in maths, chem + bio ... but my chem teacher said she thinks I could get it and said if I need a prediction for uni, she'd be happy to predict an A*...would they favour those with A* predictions ... A*A*A*A* over A*A*AA or after a good BMAT score, they'd just look at whether the candidate has the minimum entry requirements, AAA ?
Reply 61
Original post by Jasmine_777
My school is refusing to predict me A*s saying it'll be hard to get and since I didn't get 90%+ in maths, chem + bio ... but my chem teacher said she thinks I could get it and said if I need a prediction for uni, she'd be happy to predict an A*...would they favour those with A* predictions ... A*A*A*A* over A*A*AA or after a good BMAT score, they'd just look at whether the candidate has the minimum entry requirements, AAA ?

Dude that is fair enough. I don't really want to put you down but if you can't get 90%+ in the easier AS exams, what makes you think you can do it for the harder A2 examinations? It is better that you are predicted what you achieved in your AS exams as it is fair rather than being overpredicted. At least that is what my school says.
Reply 62
Original post by Jasmine_777

It makes no difference to Imperial as long ad you are predicted AAAC/AAAb they couldn't care less if you was predicted straight A*s because at the end of the day they won't make you an offer higher then AAAb or AAAC. Sure the admissions tutors would be impressed personally but as far as admissions as a whole go they don't care. They said this on the open day and gave an example of a boy who applied to them with 7 A*s at A level, they said they were not bothered that he did more then 3.5 or that he got 7 A*s but the fact that he met the minimum requirements for A level. :smile:

However if you are predicted AAA from EEE then I am sure they will care. :biggrin:
hey you guys just wanted to ask do you think i can get in to imperial medicine with:
GCSE
7A* 4A's

AS
Physics 282/300
Biology 267/300
Chemistry 252/300
Maths 261/300

i've done enough work eperience/ voluntary work

thanks you guys
Original post by raveen789
It makes no difference to Imperial as long ad you are predicted AAAC/AAAb they couldn't care less if you was predicted straight A*s because at the end of the day they won't make you an offer higher then AAAb or AAAC. Sure the admissions tutors would be impressed personally but as far as admissions as a whole go they don't care. They said this on the open day and gave an example of a boy who applied to them with 7 A*s at A level, they said they were not bothered that he did more then 3.5 or that he got 7 A*s but the fact that he met the minimum requirements for A level. :smile:

However if you are predicted AAA from EEE then I am sure they will care. :biggrin:

Yeah you're spot on.. I guess it looks good if ure predicted A*'s though...but thats about it.
Original post by sean morris
hey you guys just wanted to ask do you think i can get in to imperial medicine with:
GCSE
7A* 4A's

AS
Physics 282/300
Biology 267/300
Chemistry 252/300
Maths 261/300

i've done enough work eperience/ voluntary work

thanks you guys

Yeah, focus on BMAT now.. as long as your PS is good you should be fine.
Original post by englishman129
Yeah, focus on BMAT now.. as long as your PS is good you should be fine.

okay, but first i need to do ukcat
what kind of score i be aiming for in bmat?
Original post by sean morris
okay, but first i need to do ukcat
what kind of score i be aiming for in bmat?

anything equal or above the cut off (which should be around the same as last year) - 4.9 4.9 2.5C.
How low were his AS grades and was that the reason Imperial rejected him? I am kind of worried about this too i got ABBC :frown: I am not sure if I should apply to medicine at all this year. :/

I got the same grades as you - and the C in Chemistry too which is iffy. I rang the admissions department and they told me that they don't look at AS grades, just predicted which is AAAb or AAAC and after that they look at your BMAT grade. All hope is not lost!
Reply 69
Original post by BlissJunkie
I got the same grades as you - and the C in Chemistry too which is iffy. I rang the admissions department and they told me that they don't look at AS grades, just predicted which is AAAb or AAAC and after that they look at your BMAT grade. All hope is not lost!

I have the UKCAT on monday so if i do well maybe I can persuade my teacher to let me apply this year and see what happens, but otherwise I might just apply next year (grades permitted) :smile: My C was in Biology :frown:
I have the UKCAT on monday so if i do well maybe I can persuade my teacher to let me apply this year and see what happens, but otherwise I might just apply next year (grades permitted) :smile: My C was in Biology :frown:

I get what you mean, but I think you should try applying anyway - you never know.
Oh god, UKCAT. Mine's on thursday. Good luck!

Original post by BlissJunkie
I get what you mean, but I think you should try applying anyway - you never know.
Oh god, UKCAT. Mine's on thursday. Good luck!

Good luck for the UKCAT! (the most ridiculous, dodgy exam ever made)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 72
Hey peeps! Gonna be applying here :biggrin: Good luck all!
Would they prefer a student to take A2 Economics (A* prediction) or A2 Maths (likely A prediction, despite getting A* equivalent at AS because school are hoes)?

I'm just wondering because of their supposed science bias.
Reply 74
Original post by Straight up G
Would they prefer a student to take A2 Economics (A* prediction) or A2 Maths (likely A prediction, despite getting A* equivalent at AS because school are hoes)?

Yeah i thought that too, but i asked Sanjetti, hes a 2nd year ICL medic and he said they don't mind or prefer people with sciences as long as you have 2 :smile:

There is no science bias. As long as you're doing 2 sciences at A2, and at least one of them is Biology/Chemistry (and both were taken at AS), then there's no issue. Do whichever you enjoy more/will do better in.
Yeah i thought that too, but i asked Sanjetti, hes a 2nd year ICL medic and he said they don't mind or prefer people with sciences as long as you have 2 :smile:

Original post by Blatant Troll
There is no science bias. As long as you're doing 2 sciences at A2, and at least one of them is Biology/Chemistry (and both were taken at AS), then there's no issue. Do whichever you enjoy more/will do better in.

Well, asking one (possibly outdated) medic of a question that only an admissions tutor would know the true answer to is hardly proof.

I'll do better in Economics (more likely to get an A* in it, though there's a good chance in Maths), and enjoy it more too, but I'd find the workload of Maths a lot less (because I only have to do C3 and C4 over the the year), and if it helped my application to Imperial, I'd definitely choose it.

If anyone has current, validated information from an admissions tutor at Imperial, I'd be very thankful if they'd let me know!
(edited 12 years ago)
You're welcome :curious:

I've got current, validated information right here. Of course you could always email admissions yourself ([email protected]).

Most people in my year took 4 sciences at A Level, either because their careers advisors didn't know any better, or because they had the same mindset as you (edit: slightly unfair - I'm sure many did so out of pure interest too). Imperial clearly outline that subject selection doesn't feature in candidate selection beyond the minimum entry requirements.

I wouldn't be quite so quick to dismiss advice from "possibly outdated" medics, considering you'll get one on the interview panel (and the TSRians actually trying to help you out are more likely to be involved than most!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 78
Well, asking one (possibly outdated) medic of a question that only an admissions tutor would know the true answer to is hardly proof.

I'll do better in Economics (more likely to get an A* in it, though there's a good chance in Maths), and enjoy it more too, but I'd find the workload of Maths a lot less (because I only have to do C3 and C4 over the the year), and if it helped my application to Imperial, I'd definitely choose it.

If anyone has current, validated information from an admissions tutor at Imperial, I'd be very thankful if they'd let me know!

Ok well sorry just trying to help...and i personally don't think he is out dated even so he checks the admissions policies regularly and on their most recent open day Imperial confirmed that it is only two sciences. If you can get an A in maths then by all means do it but the fact that you can get an A* in Economics won't make a difference to them since they want AAA minimum. If maths is less work for you as you say and you can achieve an A then do it. :smile:
Reply 79
I'm slightly confused about what A2s imperial want? On their website they seems to say they want 3 sciences to A2 but in the paper prospectus it just says 2 science A2s and then another to AS level? Can anyone shed any light on this? I really want to apply there but i have A* bio, A chem and A history at A2 and the A in physics AS soo :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest