The Student Room Group

Zoology/Biological Sciences applicants for 2012 entry

I know that this is early, but I'm curious as to see where people are thinking of applying :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by abbie4884
I know that this is early, but I'm curious as to see where people are thinking of applying :smile:

Me (; I'm applying for Biological Sciences at UEA (x2), Reading and Leicester, and Human Biology at Worcester. You?
Hi, Im glad someone finally posted on here :smile:
Im thinking about UCL, Royal holloway, Leeds, Queen Mary's and Imperial (?) for zoology.
So what a levels are you doing?

Hey to all future biologists. :smile:
I'm probably going to apply to UCL, Imperial, Cambridge (for Natural Sciences), Queen Mary and Kings (for Biochemistry).

G'luck to all! :h:
Reply 3
Hi, Im glad someone finally posted on here :smile:
Im thinking about UCL, Royal holloway, Leeds, Queen Mary's and Imperial (?) for zoology.
So what a levels are you doing?

Ah cool. Im doing maths, psychology and biology. + ive written my ps already (:
Hi, hope your not finding personal statement writing as difficult as I am.
How are your A levels, work experience and such going? :smile:

It has been quite difficult for me too. :frown:
A levels are going well though, I'm just looking forward to getting A2 started and a routine going again (I return this Friday! :h:). My work experience is decent, spent some time at a cell biology lab and did some volunteering. How is yours going? (:
Same, I return tomorrow but I had a rough day today (collapsed in front of the tv repairmen and woke up to 3 ambulance men :cool:). Cant wait to get back to lessons /study. It'll be nice to get this year over with so we can go university! :tongue:

AS results were almost as good as I could have hoped for (would have been ten times better if id have got just 2 more ums marks haha). My work experience isnt bad, I also have sell/structural biology lab + volunteering (been a young leader in guiding for 5 years and working towards an adult leadership qualification)
Just wish this damn personal statement would write itself. Really need to do some more reading as well :s and decide on an extended project title. Ah stress.

Which a levels are you taking?

Oh no! I hope your health is okay? :frown: Haha, paramedics are cool indeed. ;D

Your work experience sounds great! I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Psychology at A2. Am yet to decide whether I want to drop Physics for A2 though (struggled with the AS yet somehow managed to get an A. I cannot emphasise how much I despised that subject :mad:). What about you? (:
Reply 6
considering biology at lancaster, uclan, manchester, MMU and liverpool (need to stay in the north west for personal reasons) but i don't know if i'll be able to hack it at degree level!!
I had the same problem, managed to somehow get an A in history even though I hated it. If I were you I'd drop it, I'm dropping history tomorrow because I was told it might lead to getting a B in 2 subjects instead of an A in 1 :s. Rather be safe than sorry :smile:

Have you been to any open days? If so, what did you think of different places?

I probably will. :smile: And besides, three A-levels is all universities need.

I have, only Kings and UCL though (after narrowly missing the chance to book at Imperial :frown:). Both Kings and UCL were fantastic, as most would probably expect. Kings' facilities (museum of pathological specimens - wasn't expecting that at ALL) and lecture halls were excellent, and the staff and students were extremely friendly. Kings is smaller in comparison to UCL, but that's only because of the many departments and subjects UCL has to offer.
Students at UCL were fab, very diverse from many places around the world. Biology department was pretty cool, and UCL's main campus is amazing the first time you see it. All positives really! If I had to pick though, my vote would go to UCL. :biggrin:
Reply 8
Wow, people are so prepared, i have been round 5 unis but feel like i need to visit a thousand more. I also have no interest in london unis though so that narrows my search :smile:

I want to do biology, 3As and a B, personal statement is half written (of first draft :/)
Reply 9
Hello! I'm applying at:
1. St. Andrews - Biology
2. Edinburgh - Biology
3. Aberdeen - Biology
4. Glasgow - Microbiology
5. RGU - Applied Biomedical Science

I've done about 1/4 of my personal statement - I should probably start going with it again :tongue:
I'm wondering if just having chemistry at AS would disadvantage when getting offers? I would then have biology, maths and history at A2
Reply 10
Hi,
From what I've seen on uni websites and after speaking to admissions tutors, having chemistry only to AS wont disadvantage you as long as It was an A. And most will take Maths grade A instead of a second science :smile:

Hi!
Thank you for the reply :smile: I had read that chemistry wasn't required to A2, but was worried there might be a disadvantage in the admissions tutor's eye or something :tongue:
Reply 11
Hey guys, thought I'd just hijack this thread to let you all know I'm doing Biology this year at York university. If anybody wants any information about york or applying for biology/biology courses in general then feel free to ask :^_^:

Yay for biologists! :clap2:
Reply 12
Am I the only one here who hasn't got any biology-related work experience at all? :/
Reply 13
Original post by emma363
Am I the only one here who hasn't got any biology-related work experience at all? :/

I haven't got any work experience - related or unrelated :smile: I don't think work experience is a must have for non vocational degrees like biology, other sciences or social sciences, but is more expected for degrees like law and medicine, where you have a specified job from your degree; if that makes any sense :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by CJRyan

Original post by CJRyan
I haven't got any work experience - related or unrelated :smile: I don't think work experience is a must have for non vocational degrees like biology, other sciences or social sciences, but is more expected for degrees like law and medicine, where you have a specified job from your degree; if that makes any sense :tongue:

Haha yes it does, that puts me at rest a bit :smile:
Hi everyone,
I'm going for biology at Sheffield, Oxford, Nottingham and maybe Manchester?? I don't know.... :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by emma363
Haha yes it does, that puts me at rest a bit :smile:

I don't have any work experience either! only problem is I don't have volunteering either! fml

I have decided on an extended project title though, and I'm giving my personal statement another week to write itself before i get very angry.

I'm looking at zoology at sheffield, exeter, newcastle and royal holloway.

ANY advice?!
Reply 17
Original post by Acrylic

Original post by Acrylic
I don't have any work experience either! only problem is I don't have volunteering either! fml

I have decided on an extended project title though, and I'm giving my personal statement another week to write itself before i get very angry.

I'm looking at zoology at sheffield, exeter, newcastle and royal holloway.

ANY advice?!

Same whoops...
Ha I'm aiming to get my personal statement done for tomorrow, but i'm only about 50% way through and I've ran out of things to put!
I'm looking at biology at leicester, warwick and loughborough so far but I'm not sure where else :/
I wish I could help :P
Hi there, I'm applying for Animal Science and Veterinary at Nottingham, Veterinary at Royal Veterinary College, Biological Sciences at Durham because I have an offer there, then Zoology at Newcastle. :biggrin:
Does anyone have an idea of what university's are looking for in a person? Characteristic-wise?
I'm gonna have to tailor my personal statement for bioscience/zoology/animalscience.
Reply 19
I'm reapplying this year as i was just off the required grades for the offers i got last year :/ ABC instead of ABB :frown: i didn't ABC was a bad result in my A-levels though :smile:

i'm applying to do zoology at Nottingham, Leicester, Cardiff, Reading and Newcastle :smile:

Pretty much completed my ucas application too other than what to put for re-takes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending