The Student Room Group

UK Medical School International Applicants Discussion Megathread 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by lizzy999
I AM TOTALLY LOVING THIS THREAD. IT IS SO MUCH EASIER FOR INT'LS to NAVIGATE :smile:

Thanks liz!

Original post by franynli
Hi,

Does anyone know if universities use the same cut off score of UKCAT for undergraduate international places?

Also i have tried narrow down my university choices, but what are the main universities that you think i should consider in the list below (esp i have a meh ukcat socre)? (I have also only narrowed it down to the ones that i can possibly get in, no aspirational choices)

On a side note, do a lot of universities need proof of work experience? As i know a few want that but not work ex. in elderly home :\ I have done job shadowing in A&E, elderly home, crossroads organisation, unicef.

GCSEs:
1A*
7A
1C

AS LEVELS:
A Chemsitry
A Biology
A Math
B Economics

(predicted AAA)

UKCAT:

Thinking of universities along the lines of:
Aberdeen
Brighton
Bristol
Durham/Newcastle
UEA
Hull York
Keele
Leeds
Leicester
Nottingham
Queen's Belfast
Liverpool (Lancaster)
Southampton
St. George's

Can you give me advice on which ones I should not bother considering from my list? :\
(im very worried at the moment :frown:)

I would say Newcastle is not a good idea for you, as they expect high ukcat scores.
Personally, I recommend Liverpool :biggrin:
Reply 61
So where's everyone applying? Should we get some "applicant profile" thing going on?

doctork2
UKCAT: 685 avg. - VR: 540, QR: 690, AR: 790, DA: 720
Average: 92% - 97% in Bio and Math, 91% in Chemistry
University choices: KCL, St. Andrews, Leicester, Liverpool
Reply 62
Great idea doctok2!

apple17
UKCAT: 702.5 avg. - don't remember exact breakdowns except VR=580/590.
Average: IB 40 points
University choices: KCL, HYMS, Glasgow, TBD: Newcastle/Sheff/QUB/Cambridge
Reply 63

x

Perhaps not Leicester due to their new admissions policy (you can check from their Med school website) :smile:

Aberdeen is a good choice as UKCAT is only 4% of its admission criteria (for previous years, not sure whether they will change this year) and they do not look at GCSEs. Perhaps you can use Vulpes' medical school requirements programme thingy to help you? The link's somewhere in the forum :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by Metastasis
hello all! i'm from singapore, anyone else? :smile:

Bingo! How you doing man? :biggrin:
Reply 65
How sane is it to apply for Oxford Biochemistry as a 5th choice with a Medicine PS?
Reply 66
Perhaps not Leicester due to their new admissions policy (you can check from their Med school website) :smile:

Aberdeen is a good choice as UKCAT is only 4% of its admission criteria (for previous years, not sure whether they will change this year) and they do not look at GCSEs. Perhaps you can use Vulpes' medical school requirements programme thingy to help you? The link's somewhere in the forum :smile:

Sorry to be a pain, i have looked at Leicester's website, but i can't see what is different about the entry requirements from 2011 to 2012?
Reply 67

Sorry to be a pain, i have looked at Leicester's website, but i can't see what is different about the entry requirements from 2011 to 2012?

Here is the link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1713208

There doesn't necessarily have to be a difference between entry requirements. But if I'm not mistaken, wasn't Leicester asking for AAB last year and AAA this year?
Reply 68
Hello, I'm an international student from Malaysia and was an applicant for the 2011 UCAS cycle.
You can ask me anything :smile: , I'll be glad to help.

PS: I wish some one had told me this before I applied, that actually the places aren't as competitive as they're hyped to be, as long as you have an ok PS and UKCAT scores + meet the offer, you'll probably get a place. Also, aside from oxbridge, the rest are probably as hard to get in as one another, there are no safety schools, so don't apply to unis that you wouldn't consider under normal circumstances!
Hi guys,
I am also from Singapore and applying as an international student at the end of this year for matriculation in 2013 due to NS.
I am applying for Kings, Barts, Imperial and UCL. However, I am worried about whether I will fit the bill and even be chosen for the interviews. Are UKCAT scores of 705 good? My VB pulled my scores down because I scored 580.
Reply 70
are my gcse grades of 1A* 7A 1C good enough for liverpool?
Reply 71
are my gcse grades of 1A* 7A 1C good enough for liverpool?

Not for last year

Quoting someone from Lpool thread for 2012 applicants

However, after all applications are in, Liverpool then apply a cut-off, which was 17 points last year. So all applicants with 15 and 16 points were immediately out. Yet the entry requirements are the same this year. To hide this cut-off process is hideous behaviour as all applicants with 15 and 16 points will think to themselves "Yep, I met that entry requirement. Now it's down to my A levels, PS, reference etc."
Reply 72
Hey Qi Jia, which universities did you apply to in the UK? I'm from Malaysia too :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by ratrabbit
Not for last year

Quoting someone from Lpool thread for 2012 applicants

However, after all applications are in, Liverpool then apply a cut-off, which was 17 points last year. So all applicants with 15 and 16 points were immediately out. Yet the entry requirements are the same this year. To hide this cut-off process is hideous behaviour as all applicants with 15 and 16 points will think to themselves "Yep, I met that entry requirement. Now it's down to my A levels, PS, reference etc."

correct me if i am wrong would that mean i have 16 points?
so even if i have AAA predicted they wont count me in because of the 17 point cut off?
Original post by terrence 1992
Hi guys,
I am also from Singapore and applying as an international student at the end of this year for matriculation in 2013 due to NS.
I am applying for Kings, Barts, Imperial and UCL. However, I am worried about whether I will fit the bill and even be chosen for the interviews. Are UKCAT scores of 705 good? My VB pulled my scores down because I scored 580.

What's your a lvl results and what work experience do you have? 705 for ukcat is fine I guess
Reply 75
correct me if i am wrong would that mean i have 16 points?
so even if i have AAA predicted they wont count me in because of the 17 point cut off?

Not if the cutoff is 17; but who knows what it will be. You could ring/email them?
Original post by vladricketts
What's your a lvl results and what work experience do you have? 705 for ukcat is fine I guess

I have 3As for my A levels ( chem, math, bio) and B for my H1 in econs, got an E for GP though.

Extracurricular/ work experience:
Combat medic in SAF and working as medical officer personal assistant in medical centre
1 week in NUH (Singapore) radiology department; shadowed and spoke to radiologists, radiographers and nurses, I also witnessed a endovascular cardiac stenting surgery
4 days in Melaka, Mahkota Medical Centre, shadowed and spoke to a general surgeon, urologist, anestethist, radiographer, physiotherapist and scrubs nurse. I also got to observe several surgeries in the operation theatre.
Currently taking sign language course to help with voluntary work at Singapore Deaf society starting in August
Currently taking up counseling course to talk to terminally ill patients, I am also starting to volunteer at a hospice regularly when i finish my course several months later
Ad hoc volunteer with Mercy Relief
1 & half year in Interact Club at Junior college, regular weekly visit to mentally disabled home
Sergeant in Singapore Red Cross youth society during secondary school
Attended healthcare career seminar at Singapore polytechnic
Led a group of children during community service programme
Major role in organisation of Interact Club leadership camp
Oriented Japanese students during Japanese student exchange
Picked to be member of prestigious talent management programme
Helped raise funds for Singapore Redcross Society and Singapore Rotary Club
Certified Standard First Aider in secondary school
Certified Basic cardiac life support giver and AED provider in 2011

Achievements:
Saint Andrew's Junior College Jacob Ballas Award
7 honourable mention awards in Junior College
Represented school and received Bronze award in National Current Affairs Competition organised by Red cross society
Competed in Finals of Singapore Youth Science Festival
Recipient of National Edusave Merit Bursary annually
Best Improvement Award in 2009
Reply 77
Original post by doctork2

Original post by doctork2
So where's everyone applying? Should we get some "applicant profile" thing going on?

doctork2
UKCAT: 685 avg. - VR: 540, QR: 690, AR: 790, DA: 720
Average: 92% - 97% in Bio and Math, 91% in Chemistry
University choices: KCL, St. Andrews, Leicester, Liverpool

Hi,

I'm from Canada too. Why you did not consider Birmingham?
Reply 78
Original post by ukmed108
Hi,

I'm from Canada too. Why you did not consider Birmingham?

Well... I don't think Birmingham is right for me, course-wise.
Where are you applying to?
Reply 79
I just did my ukcat now and got 490 670 620 610

Do I have a realistic chance for 5 year courses(I know no chance for 4 yr courses)
Which unis do I stand a chance in.

I have a fair amount of work experience and predicted to acheive 2.1.

Or is it better for me to focus on uni and then apply 2013 entry.

Is this score enough for an international applicant?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending