The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Who's doing computer science?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'll be doing Computer Science with Games Development MEng, mainly because I don't have to pay for the fourth year, according the the prospectus anyway. May as well do it if it's free. :biggrin:

I'm taking a desktop, I just can't get the hang of laptops, cuts my work rate by at least a third. May get a tablet for note taking in lectures though, see if I can get my hands on a TouchPad seeing as they're going for cheap.
(edited 12 years ago)
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Original post by jamiepgs
I'll be doing Computer Science with Games Development MEng, mainly because I don't have to pay for the fourth year, according the the prospectus anyway. May as well do it if it's free. :biggrin:

I'm taking a desktop, I just can't get the hang of laptops, cuts my work rate by at least a third. May get a tablet for note taking in lectures though, see if I can get my hands on a TouchPad seeing as they're going for cheap.

Touchpads went in about an hour. Might pick them up cheaper on eBay, but they're officially sold out. Also, tablets are terrible for note-making. Netbooks are cheaper, the same size, and have keyboards to make things easier :wink:
Reply 42
Original post by AllFallD0wn
Touchpads went in about an hour. Might pick them up cheaper on eBay, but they're officially sold out. Also, tablets are terrible for note-making. Netbooks are cheaper, the same size, and have keyboards to make things easier :wink:

HP said they're going to manufacture one last batch, so hopefully I'll be able to get one once they start shipping, but I imagine they'll sell just as fast.
Reply 43
I thought the 4th year (i.e masters) was self funded which is the opposite of free!?! I know you can get funding through various means but I havn't heard about it being free before?
Reply 44
Original post by poogatch
I thought the 4th year (i.e masters) was self funded which is the opposite of free!?! I know you can get funding through various means but I havn't heard about it being free before?

"The MEng qualifies you for local-authority funding in the fourth year,
unlike the BSc-plus-MSc route, which means that you can gain a Masters-level
qualification at a significantly lower cost to you."

I don't know whether that's the whole thing or you just get a grant or something to help you towards it, but either way it's cheaper.
Reply 45
hay all Im going to do MEng computer Science With games development!!!!
Reply 46
for any of you comp science peeps - theres 3 of us going for some drinks tomorrow (friday) and anyones welcome to come..
we only know each other off facebook, so if you wanna meet some people for freshers, let me know/add me on fb :biggrin:

facebook.com/scottsando
Reply 47
Wow there are so many.... xD I'm moving up soon and I'll be in taylor courts. I'm just doing the straight Computer science course, really nervous and excited can't wait
Reply 48
Fingers crossed, I'll be doing Games Development here after the summer. I'm rather looking forwards to it! :biggrin:
Reply 49
I've applied for the three year Bsc with a year in industry and I've got a conditional offer, but it's a toss up between here and Lincoln. I went to an open day and had a look around and it was really impressive, I'm going to check out Lincoln early next month but it's going to have to be pretty darn good to beat what I saw at Hull. The only thing putting me off Hull is the accommodation really. I was really hoping I'd get to stay on my own but the best there is at Hull is Taylor Courts which isn't really what I was looking for.

So can anyone here let me know if it's as fun as it looked like it would be at the open day?
Reply 50
Hey Everyone,

I am currently in my 3rd year of the BSc Computer Systems Engineering degree, if any of you have any questions let me know.
Reply 51
Original post by Utd_1990
Hey Everyone,

I am currently in my 3rd year of the BSc Computer Systems Engineering degree, if any of you have any questions let me know.

Would you recommend we read any books in particular (programming wise) prior to the course? I have no programming knowledge at all so I'm gonna hazard a guess and say I should be reading something. :tongue:

Also, do you know what this book is that was given out on the open day? I couldn't attend. :frown:

Thanks! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Flibbles
Would you recommend we read any books in particular (programming wise) prior to the course? I have no programming knowledge at all so I'm gonna hazard a guess and say I should be reading something. :tongue:

Also, do you know what this book is that was given out on the open day? I couldn't attend. :frown:

Thanks! :biggrin:

http://www.robmiles.com/c-yellow-book/ Rob Miles CSharp Yellow Book 2011.pdf
Reply 53
I'm firm for Hull too.

The book posted above is awesome, got given it on an open day and worked through most of it.

I'm actually from Hull but will be staying in halls :smile:
Reply 54
Vanilla Computer Science applicant here, depending on what aspects of the course I like I may transfer over to a specific course though.
Applying for Lawns accommodation when it's available.

Really hope I get in, failed to do so last year and am trying again :smile:
Reply 55
Made Hull my Firm, chose the Computer Science with Games Dev :smile: very much looking forward to it.
Reply 56
Hey, I've gone for 4 years computer science, it's a conditional offer as long as I can get a DDM in my BTEC, so hopefully will be seeing you guys around :wink: Sadly no one I know from college has gone for the same option as me :smile:
Reply 57
I have Hull as my firm and I have chosen to study Computer Science, although when I get there I'm going to try and see if I can add Games Development as well :smile:
Reply 58
Anyone going to the open day will be given the book posted above.
I too strongly recommend anyone doing the course read it prior to starting. It will help :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 59
Hello, I'll be studying the BSc Computer Science with Games Development course this year. I'm a bit worried about it as I've never had any experience with programming! Is anyone else in the same case as me?

Quick Reply