The Student Room Group

Nursing Applicants 2012 intake

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SoftMusk
Im doing biology, chemistry and ict for a levels..applying for child nursing, i got work experience but trying to sort out a last min place for myself at a childrens nursery....i dont know what to expect in interviews O-O

Expect friendly staff, all very relaxed. My interviews were both in groups and 1-2-1. We discussed current issues in Health and Nursing and in the 1-2-1, why I would make a good nurse, why me rather than other applicants, what skills I had to make a good nurse, team skills etc, how I would speak differently to youngsters and teenagers. The maths and english tests were easy. You do have to sell yourself and speak up in the groups. It does mean you may have to fight to be heard.
I had interviews at Southampton, Manchester, Nottingham, Brighton and Canterbury. All except Nottingham were really enjoyable. Good luck! PS. Dress "professionally" for the interviews, they expect it. :smile:
Hey all

I'm applying to do an adult nursing degree at York, Northumbria, Nottingham and Surrey dunno where else.

I'm taking a BTEC Health and Social Care extended diploma. I'm also taking GCSE Science this year. I have had a lot of experience and have completed my personal statement but I can still improve it.
Original post by glf2110
Expect friendly staff, all very relaxed. My interviews were both in groups and 1-2-1. We discussed current issues in Health and Nursing and in the 1-2-1, why I would make a good nurse, why me rather than other applicants, what skills I had to make a good nurse, team skills etc, how I would speak differently to youngsters and teenagers. The maths and english tests were easy. You do have to sell yourself and speak up in the groups. It does mean you may have to fight to be heard.
I had interviews at Southampton, Manchester, Nottingham, Brighton and Canterbury. All except Nottingham were really enjoyable. Good luck! PS. Dress "professionally" for the interviews, they expect it. :smile:

What issues did you talk about?
Reply 43
Original post by KingGoonIan
What issues did you talk about?

Blimey, it was about 10 months ago. Erm, that children recover better at home with their friends and in familiar circumstances than in hospital, rickets, I checked out the BBC news health section and read up on what was current. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health/
Hope this helps.
Original post by glf2110
Blimey, it was about 10 months ago. Erm, that children recover better at home with their friends and in familiar circumstances than in hospital, rickets, I checked out the BBC news health section and read up on what was current. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health/
Hope this helps.

Thanks I should've thought to look at the BBC Health section. Yea it really helps thanks, been worrying about interviews for a while now. Still well worried lol.
Reply 45
Thanks I should've thought to look at the BBC Health section. Yea it really helps thanks, been worrying about interviews for a while now. Still well worried lol.

Don't worry, they are really laid back. I was petrified for me first one but actually they went ok. Some were actually enjoyable. I rehearsed what I thought would come up, why do you want to be a nurse, what can you bring, etc etc You'll be fine. :smile:
Reply 46
Wheres everyone applying? And whose done their PS?
Reply 47
:smile::wink:Hi everyone ....

I applyed for adult nursing to start in September 2011 but didnt get a place. However I did not give in and re-applyed through clearing and YES i got a place and am starting in Jan 2012 and so so excited ....

The interviews were really laid back and really nothing to worry about !!!

I am going to Sheffield hallam ! Who's joining me ......?:smile::smile::smile:
Reply 48
Original post by fairycake123
I got to that stage too but didn't get a place at Manchester, but they have upped their entry requirements for next year, I phoned and would not be considered for a place next year even though they told me I was 1 mark off being offered a place this year! So just check what you need - good luck
I got offered a place at my 1st choice via a phone call on Thursday :smile: whats meant to be and all that...

Really? well at least you got in to your first choice congratulations :smile: i know i have a lot of work to do dident do so gd at my as but i really want to go so working my but of and got more experience this time round. Where you going to and are you of this year ?
Reply 49
Original post by hhh123
Wheres everyone applying? And whose done their PS?

Hey there i have done mine just got to get it checked :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by lesleybull
:smile::wink:Hi everyone ....

I applyed for adult nursing to start in September 2011 but didnt get a place. However I did not give in and re-applyed through clearing and YES i got a place and am starting in Jan 2012 and so so excited ....

The interviews were really laid back and really nothing to worry about !!!

I am going to Sheffield hallam ! Who's joining me ......?:smile::smile::smile:

hiya i applied to start adult nursing in september i didnt get a place, however i applied through clearing and i was offered a place yesterday to start in january :smile:
so i will prob see u there :smile: x
I've noticed much to my annoyance that Surrey seem to have put up their entry requirements for the degree so it looks like it's now impossible for me to get in because they're asking for more points than I can get from my BTEC with DDD.
Reply 52
I've noticed much to my annoyance that Surrey seem to have put up their entry requirements for the degree so it looks like it's now impossible for me to get in because they're asking for more points than I can get from my BTEC with DDD.

I thought that DDD = 360 UCAS. Surrey are asking for ABB-BBB which is 320 - 300.
Original post by glf2110
I thought that DDD = 360 UCAS. Surrey are asking for ABB-BBB which is 320 - 300.

Really I thought DDD was like 320? And I thought Surrey are asking for 330?
Reply 54
Really I thought DDD was like 320? And I thought Surrey are asking for 330?

Surrey say "Minimum Entry Requirements A level grades ABB-BBB" (320 - 300 as A = 120 ucas, B = 100 ucas)

DDM = 320, DDD = 360

http://www.merlinhelpsstudents.com/studentlife/beforeuniversity/ucas/ucaspointstable.asp
Im sure you have more than enough. :smile:
Original post by glf2110
Surrey say "Minimum Entry Requirements A level grades ABB-BBB" (320 - 300 as A = 120 ucas, B = 100 ucas)

DDM = 320, DDD = 360

http://www.merlinhelpsstudents.com/studentlife/beforeuniversity/ucas/ucaspointstable.asp
Im sure you have more than enough. :smile:

Really? Thanks I'm very happy with this if it's true thanks indeed. Wow ok.
Reply 56
Really? Thanks I'm very happy with this if it's true thanks indeed. Wow ok.

:smile:
Which is better ranked for teaching the adult nursing degree out of Surrey, York and Northumbria?
Reply 58
Which is better ranked for teaching the adult nursing degree out of Surrey, York and Northumbria?

Times rates York, Guardian rates Surrey. Which one do you prefer? go with your "gut" feeling.
Hi guys!

I'm applying again for Children's Nursing :smile: Yep, didn't succeed the first time round but I am determined!

I have just completed a L3 BTEC National Diploma in Children's Care Learning & Development with a DDD, so I will be able to get an unconditional offer straight away hopefully....

I have my personal statement written and shall be using it again for this cycle, but just adding on the voluntary work etc I shall be doing this year. So if anyone is writing from that sort of background I am happy to help :smile:

I applied for Bournemouth, Cardiff, Plymouth, Worcester and Southampton.... But I shall be swapping Worcester for Birmingham City this year :biggrin:

Good luck to everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest