The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adamrules247
Any good? I've got three (one's a collection of his writings and homilies on Mary) and am currently reading my first one (Jesus of Nazareth: Part 1) and it's amazing. The scholary man really shines through. And, indeed, they're helping me to deepen my faith, things I didn't fully understand, such as the Baptism in the Jordan, are fully explained and I know understand that its forshadowing the cross with Our Lord taking the place of the sinner. I'd say read Jesus of Nazareth, for a women of your intelligence is should provide no problem :yep:

That's excellent news then :biggrin: I know that one psychologist, who was an agnostic but with a Catholic wife, said that if every religion had confession there'd be no mental illness; the healing power of the sacrament :woo: Are you planning on going again soon?

Actually I think I've read the one on Mary: a little booklet? :five:

I have to confess I had doubts about confession's healing powers but it really has been a miracle for me. I'm hoping to see that priest again soon, so hopefully not too long :yes:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Actually I think I've read the one on Mary: a little booklet? :five:

:five: Yep a small booklet, called Marian Thoughts.

I have to confess I had doubts about confession's healing powers but it really has been a miracle for me. I'm hoping to see that priest again soon, so hopefully not too long :yes:

My view is that anything instituted by Jesus Christ has to be fundamentally good. Maybe you should recieve the Sacrament of the Sick too. It's good you'll be seeing the priest soon :yep: Maybe you can look upon him as your spiritual director.
:five: Yep a small booklet, called Marian Thoughts.

My view is that anything instituted by Jesus Christ has to be fundamentally good. Maybe you should recieve the Sacrament of the Sick too. It's good you'll be seeing the priest soon :yep: Maybe you can look upon him as your spiritual director.

Isn't anointing of the sick for people who are dying? :dontknow: Could look into that though.

I asked him if he'd be my spiritual director and he said he could do that too :yep: :woo: :yep:
Isn't anointing of the sick for people who are dying? :dontknow: Could look into that though.

I asked him if he'd be my spiritual director and he said he could do that too :yep: :woo: :yep:

Nope, that's a common misconception! It's for anybody who's suffering in any way. Some priests will have healing services where they give this where everyone at the mass can recieve it.

That's brilliant news! :woo: Deo Gratias :woo:
Nope, that's a common misconception! It's for anybody who's suffering in any way. Some priests will have healing services where they give this where everyone at the mass can recieve it.

That's brilliant news! :woo: Deo Gratias :woo:

Ah OK. I'll ask him about this then :yes:

I know! I was relieved. I just slid it in at the end of our two hours because I thought he'd say no. He's such a busy man coz on top of the parish, he has his family to look after. I don't know how he does it! :eek:
Ah OK. I'll ask him about this then :yes:

I know! I was relieved. I just slid it in at the end of our two hours because I thought he'd say no. He's such a busy man coz on top of the parish, he has his family to look after. I don't know how he does it! :eek:

Good stuff then :yep:

He has a family to look after :confused: Is this the anglican priest then? Or a married Catholic priest.
Good stuff then :yep:

He has a family to look after :confused: Is this the anglican priest then? Or a married Catholic priest.

Married Catholic priest. He was formerly an Anglican priest, so he has a wife and three grown kids :yes:
Married Catholic priest. He was formerly an Anglican priest, so he has a wife and three grown kids :yes:

Ahh right. There seems to be a fair few of those running around. I really don't know how they manage it!
Ahh right. There seems to be a fair few of those running around. I really don't know how they manage it!

Me neither :nah:

I'm not actually sure whether the Anglican priest I'm seeing is married or not. Or whether he's high or low Anglican. He's extremely well-read and knows about Catholic mysticism. I was dead impressed :yep:
Me neither :nah:

I'm not actually sure whether the Anglican priest I'm seeing is married or not. Or whether he's high or low Anglican. He's extremely well-read and knows about Catholic mysticism. I was dead impressed :yep:

Oooh, he may well be thinking about entering the Ordinarate then!
Oooh, he may well be thinking about entering the Ordinarate then!

It's more likely due to the fact that his spiritual director is Roman Catholic :yes:
It's more likely due to the fact that his spiritual director is Roman Catholic :yes:

Ahh right. You never know though, he may well be thinking of it.
Ahh right. You never know though, he may well be thinking of it.

True. Well he promised not to try and convert me, so I must do the same :biggrin:
True. Well he promised not to try and convert me, so I must do the same :biggrin:

:teehee: Well I guess a promise is a promise. But you never do know what God has install for him though :yep:
:teehee: Well I guess a promise is a promise. But you never do know what God has install for him though :yep:

Very true. Maybe I might inspire him and that's why I've been sent to him :biggrin:
Very true. Maybe I might inspire him and that's why I've been sent to him :biggrin:

Exactly! The Lord moves in mysterious ways :awesome:
All our fellow Catholics seem to have deserted us :ninja:
All our fellow Catholics seem to have deserted us :ninja:

Let us go out into the forums and evangelise :bl:

Seriously though you're right, and I've also noticed a fair few Catholics on here so I think what's best is if we see when we send him a quiet PM about the soc :yep:
Sorry! Haven't deserted, just very, very tired readjusting to work after the long break. I didn't even make it to Mass last week as I was in bed all weekend and very tearful. I'm including you all in my prayers still!
Original post by Arcane Barn Elk
Sorry! Haven't deserted, just very, very tired readjusting to work after the long break. I didn't even make it to Mass last week as I was in bed all weekend and very tearful. I'm including you all in my prayers still!

Oh no! You poor thing :hugs: Hope you're doing OK. I'll pray for you :smile:

Quick Reply