The Student Room Group

Bleeding spots on tongue

Recently (around 2 days ago) I burnt my tongue while eating some food but I didn't think anything of it at the time. Now I have that familiar burnt tongue feeling, but theres no mark or anything.

If I brush, though, my tastebuds (or whatever those little raised bumps are) start bleeding and it hurts. I've never had this happen before, so is it normal?
Reply 1
Probably just a really bad burn. After you eat wash your mouth out with salt water (just add a pinch to some luke warm water) this will clean the mouth and stop the bleeding areas getting infected and will also help heal it alot quicker.
Or just rinse your mouth out three times a day with salt water. Either way, do it xP
If it persists after a week have it checked out, but it should be fine, the taste buds have just been damaged.
Reply 2
Have you ever eaten one of those really sour lollipops? As a kid I used to love them. It's exactly the same thing - they will make your tongue bleed from what looks like little raised spots or lumps, they're just raised tastebuds. Brushing seems to make it worse too.

It'll get better, just don't brush your tongue and avoid sucking boiled sweets etc.
Original post by Anonymous
Recently (around 2 days ago) I burnt my tongue while eating some food but I didn't think anything of it at the time. Now I have that familiar burnt tongue feeling, but theres no mark or anything.

If I brush, though, my tastebuds (or whatever those little raised bumps are) start bleeding and it hurts. I've never had this happen before, so is it normal?

Firstly, how much is it bleeding - are we talking about little spots of blood on the tongue, or is it flowing out of it when you eat? Are there any other noticeable changes visible? You may have just damaged the papillae on your tongue and abrasion when you've eaten since has opened the wound up.

It'd always be safe to go see your general practitioner or dentist about this; whilst it may just be some minor damage to the surface due to burning, you'll want to be sure that there isn't some underlying problem that has contributed to it and it will assay any bigger worries.
Original post by woejane
Probably just a really bad burn. After you eat wash your mouth out with salt water (just add a pinch to some luke warm water) this will clean the mouth and stop the bleeding areas getting infected and will also help heal it alot quicker.
Or just rinse your mouth out three times a day with salt water. Either way, do it xP
If it persists after a week have it checked out, but it should be fine, the taste buds have just been damaged.

Im already doing the whole gargling with salt water thing, because of my mum. I really don't know how its meant to help though.

Original post by Friar Chris
Firstly, how much is it bleeding - are we talking about little spots of blood on the tongue, or is it flowing out of it when you eat? Are there any other noticeable changes visible? You may have just damaged the papillae on your tongue and abrasion when you've eaten since has opened the wound up.

It'd always be safe to go see your general practitioner or dentist about this; whilst it may just be some minor damage to the surface due to burning, you'll want to be sure that there isn't some underlying problem that has contributed to it and it will assay any bigger worries.

Just little spots of blood from the tastebuds and it only happens if I brush there.

EDIT: Anon fail, but **** it lol.
Original post by -Invidious-
Im already doing the whole gargling with salt water thing, because of my mum. I really don't know how its meant to help though.

Well it's not really that it helps the healing per se, but perhaps more aimed at trying to kill off any bacteria that might infect the tiny wounds with the salt. To be honest, I wouldn't think it'd be necessary but don't take my word for it; it's just with the constant eating and drinking and all day of breathing in life, everyone's tongue will be swimming with bacteria, whether or not you gargle salt water before bed or w/e :tongue:...

Just little spots of blood from the tastebuds and it only happens if I brush there.

Salt water is usually a safe bet, but try not to brush it for a few days. Whilst brushing the tongue a little after doing the teeth is usually recommended, my best guess is that the papillae were damage by the burning, and the abrasion of the brush is opening up the little wounds, after which they have to start the repairing again.

Leave it 2-3 days without brushing the tongue, if it still does it after this see your dentist or GP to be safe.

Amateur advice as always, based on what I would do myself :tongue:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6

give it a few days. salt water always works and speeds up healing.

Quick Reply

Latest