The Student Room Group

Thinking of joining a sports team?

Basically I want to do a sport of some sort, but play for team or something.
The idea is to either join a basketball team or play badminton properly somewhere.

Where would I find the information to join teams n stuff??
You can try in your school/college
Or you could go to your borough website and look under the sport section
Reply 3
I can help you a lot with Badminton, in the sense of advice.

I'd recommend starting by finding out if there are any clubs near by, whether or not they represent a Borough or County, and then joining them. You could join your school at the same time. Use the Internet for the club search; for the school one, ask your Sports teachers in school.

Just to note, you cannot just pick up a Badminton racquet and leap straight into a school or club team (forget a Borough or County team). It is a difficult sport to learn, and takes a lot of practice, and you will have to master many aspects of it; I'm assuming that you already know how to play reasonably well, which is why you're asking to join a team. If not, I would join a club anyway, but with aims to improve your play rather than start playing competitively. If you do play well, then still, join a club (from where you can be directed, if appropriate, to a Borough or County team); however, keep in mind that, having not played any competitive Badminton yet, you have no idea of how good players at County level really are. Every field of their play is what you would expect from someone who: 1) is considerably more talented that the average player, and 2) has put in as much hard work as anyone else, but had a lot more competitive experience than you.

The same would go, I presume, for Basketball.

School teams may be much easier to qualify for, because there may be much less people in your year trying to play Badminton than the number at a club. But still, expect a challenge (at most schools) if you've never played competitively before.
Reply 4
Original post by GameGod
I can help you a lot with Badminton, in the sense of advice.

I'd recommend starting by finding out if there are any clubs near by, whether or not they represent a Borough or County, and then joining them. You could join your school at the same time. Use the Internet for the club search; for the school one, ask your Sports teachers in school.

Just to note, you cannot just pick up a Badminton racquet and leap straight into a school or club team (forget a Borough or County team). It is a difficult sport to learn, and takes a lot of practice, and you will have to master many aspects of it; I'm assuming that you already know how to play reasonably well, which is why you're asking to join a team. If not, I would join a club anyway, but with aims to improve your play rather than start playing competitively. If you do play well, then still, join a club (from where you can be directed, if appropriate, to a Borough or County team); however, keep in mind that, having not played any competitive Badminton yet, you have no idea of how good players at County level really are. Every field of their play is what you would expect from someone who: 1) is considerably more talented that the average player, and 2) has put in as much hard work as anyone else, but had a lot more competitive experience than you.

The same would go, I presume, for Basketball.

School teams may be much easier to qualify for, because there may be much less people in your year trying to play Badminton than the number at a club. But still, expect a challenge (at most schools) if you've never played competitively before.

Haha, I saw your post yet for some odd reason i was drawn to your epic academics haha :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Domo-Kun
Haha, I saw your post yet for some odd reason i was drawn to your epic academics haha :biggrin:

LOL, thank you :biggrin:
Anyway, if you want any advice about Badminton, just PM me; I'll be happy to answer.
Reply 6
google it man
Reply 7
Was thinking of doing the same - either wanna go badminton club or running / athletics

I just googled ( name of chosen sport).....clubs in ( your home city ) and it showed some websites for some local clubs.
Reply 8
If only there were some all-encompassing directory of information that you could 'search' using an 'engine' of some sorts, cross-referencing your locality with the sport of your choice....

Quick Reply

Latest