The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wannabeme
relatively competitive but you should be fine with these :smile:

I'm applying for Law in 2012 - So much competition - What do you think my chances are with the following:

GCSE Grades:

English Language - A*
English Literature - A*
History - A*
Astronomy - A
Religious Studies Short Course (Half a GCSE) - A
Mathematics - B
Electronics - C
Systems and Control - D

(I also have BTEC qualifications but I doubt they're relevant)

AS Grades:
Electronics - C (2 UMS of a B)...
English Language - A (85% overall)
History - A (85% overall)
Use of Mathematics - D

Predicted A2 Grades:
Electronics - B
English Language - A*
History - A*

- P.S. I called the University up, and they said with my predicted grades I'm likely to get an offer (with a good LNAT + Personal Statement + Reference) but I would still be given an AAA offer, so I would have to pull an A in electronics. They didn't say more than that, but there are like 9 applications per place so REALISTICALLY WHAT ARE MY CHANCES?

Thanks.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 61
lol chill a bit, make sure u have a uni with an easier offer as a backup but if you can pull the electronics up a bit you should be alright. Make sure you work really hard on you personal statement and the LNAT and you will most likely get an offer, these are good grades.
Reply 62
I'm applying for Sociology & Criminology :biggrin: you need ABB for the course including Cs in Eng Lang/Maths GCSE (both of which I got/exceeded). I got really average GCSEs..
3 A's
6 B's
2 C's

But I really shaped up at AS..
A - Sociology
A - Religion & Ethics
B - English Lit (1 UMS off an A! Getting a remark though!)

Predicted A*AA at A2 and I'm doing Business Studies AS Level along with my A2's too, which I'm predicted an A in.

Slightly worried after reading other peoples posts..are they really that nazi when it comes down to GCSEs?! :O
Reply 63
Original post by xWelshyx
I'm applying for Sociology & Criminology :biggrin: you need ABB for the course including Cs in Eng Lang/Maths GCSE (both of which I got/exceeded). I got really average GCSEs..
3 A's
6 B's
2 C's

But I really shaped up at AS..
A - Sociology
A - Religion & Ethics
B - English Lit (1 UMS off an A! Getting a remark though!)

Predicted A*AA at A2 and I'm doing Business Studies AS Level along with my A2's too, which I'm predicted an A in.

Slightly worried after reading other peoples posts..are they really that nazi when it comes down to GCSEs?! :O

I got similar GCSEs to you so I hope not! haha i got:
4 As
4 Bs
2 Cs

your GCSEs aren't average though, maybe in TSR terms yeah, but they're well above the actual average (national)...
I've checked the Manchester site and it says (regarding GCSEs):

GCSE: A minimum of five GCSE A grades which must include English Language and Mathematics.

That means that applicants need an A in Mathematics as well? :confused:
Reply 65
Original post by Pious_Intellectual
I've checked the Manchester site and it says (regarding GCSEs):

GCSE: A minimum of five GCSE A grades which must include English Language and Mathematics.

That means that applicants need an A in Mathematics as well? :confused:

What? Where does it say anything about a minimum of 5 GCSES at A grade?

It just says C's at English & Maths..
Original post by Samuelv-37
I'm also applying (reapplying) for languages! Middle eastern studies and a modern language (Hebrew and a european one which I havn't decided on as of yet).

I firmed with manchester for 2011 entry for the same course but missed my grades although I was very close so I am staying another year at college and reapplying for 2012 entry. As I applied last year I am familiar with the admission process and was interviewed before I received my offer. The entry grades are stated to be ABB-BBC but this just means you will receive an offer in between these grades depending on how much they want you and what they think/want you to achieve. I was offered BBB but another person who got interviewed received ABB as her offer.

Good luck this time! I firmed for 2011 too, and missed it too... but they've given me unconditional for 2012 instead, because they still wanted me, they just didn't have enough room this year. Annoying, but I'm still happy!

Good luck to everyone! I can't wait to be at Manchester :smile:
Original post by rural_boy

That's just for Law!
Reply 68
Original post by Tsunami2011
That's just for Law!

Oh thank god! I'm applying for Manchester and I got a bit worried then, because my GCSE's aren't that great!
I'm applying for an Engineering with an Integrated Foundation Year course. They said they review each application on a case by case basis but this is what I've got so far.

GCSE's:
6 A's (English Lit, Maths, 3 Sciences, Business Studies)
3 B's (English lang, ICT, Geography)
1 C (Humanities)

AS Level:
B (Biology) B (Govt & Politics) Resitting to bring up to A's
C (Economics) E (Chemistry)

Predicted:
A (Biology) A (Govt & Politics) B (Economics)

Anyone know my chances of getting in?
Reply 70
Im applying for Neuroscience

i got BBBD being predicted ABBC, maths and the three sciences, D in maths
GCSE"S: 3A's 5A's 5B's and 1 C
Im on the boundaries for everything literally 10-2 marks away on all my exams... so annoying

But yeah i think i have a good chance besides my back up is leeds which only need BBB which i have so im feeling confident.
Original post by rural_boy

Go into entry requirements FOR LAW:

Selected entry requirements

English language: Candidates must show a high standard of written and spoken English. We require GCSE English Language or equivalent such as IELTS 7 or TOEFL 625.

A level:

Grades AAA. Two AS levels are not accepted in place of one A Level.

We prefer to see at least 2 traditional subjects in your A-Level choices, however we welcome all subjects from Arts, Humanities, Mathematics & Science provided they have an academic content of at least 70%.

We do not accept General Studies or Critical Thinking.

Unit grade information: The University of Manchester welcomes the provision of unit grade information which, like all other available information, will inform the consideration of applications. Unit grades will not normally form part of offer conditions, except for Mathematics programmes.

Key Skills qualification: The University warmly welcomes applications from students studying the Key Skills qualification. However, as the opportunities to take these modules are not open to all applicants, currently this is not an essential requirement of the University.

International Baccalaureate:

37 points overall including 7, 6, 6 at Higher Level.

We prefer to see at least 2 traditional subjects in your Higher Level choices, however we welcome all subjects from Arts, Humanities, Mathematics & Science provided they have an academic content of at least 70%.

Additional entry requirements

Additional entry requirements exist for this course. You may view these by selecting from the list below.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by Pious_Intellectual

Yeah your right, sorry I didn't realise you were talking specifically about Law, I thought you were talking about general entry requirements for all courses at the university, so I was a tad worried!
Reply 73
I'm applying to Manchester for Politics, having dropped out of St Andrews (History major) after first year.

GCSE: 1 A* , 5 A's , 3 B's, 1 D

A-Level: A* A* A A

Not sure what my chances will be though, having already been at a good Uni!
Reply 74
Hey :smile: I'm planning on applying to Manchester to study English Literature. The entry requirements are AAA but what are my chances based on the following grades?

GCSE's
A (Biology, Chemistry, Business Studies, Geography, Religious Studies, German, Humanities Short Course, English Literature)
B (Physics, English Language)
C (Maths)

Btec
D* ICT - but that probably won't mean anything.

AS Levels
Business Studies- B (but I will be a resitting a module to get the grade A)
Geography- B
German- D (I will be resitting the written paper but I doubt it will be higher than B, if I'm lucky)
English Literature- B (B in coursework and exam. I will be doing the final exam in January so if I don't get the A I will resit in July)

A Level Predictions
Business Studies- A
Geography- B (I'll probably beg for it to be changed because I wasn't too far off)
English Literature- A
Extended Project- A/B

So, what are my chances? Thank you :smile:
Reply 75
Yaay!

Applying for Biomedical Science/Pharmacology

GCSE: 3A and 6B

AS Levels: BCCC (eurgh) , the B was 1 mark off an A and the CC i am resitting to hopefuly gaing ABBC overall at AS

A2 Predictions: AAB

WILL MY RESITS PUT ME AT A DISADVANTAGE? D:
Reply 76
I will be applying for Japanese :smile:

A2 predictions: A*A(*)AA
My school is refusing to predict me a grade for Japanese since I am self taught but I'm hoping I'll get an A*.

I'll be sending my UCAS off in just over 7 days. Gosh, I am so nervous.
Reply 77
I'm the one that started this thread but I can't even apply to Manchester anymore!!! :angry:
My A2 predictions are ABC in German, English Lang and Economics respectively and the entry requirements for German Studies were ABB-BBC, which meant that I was applying. However, they've recently pushed them up to 'AAB-BBB' which means I can no longer apply!!! SO annoying! :angry:
Reply 78
engineering with managemtn!
AS results:
A maths, predicted A
D physics, predicted A or B
A spanish language, predicted A

hope i can get in
Reply 79
Original post by JakeE10
I'm the one that started this thread but I can't even apply to Manchester anymore!!! :angry:
My A2 predictions are ABC in German, English Lang and Economics respectively and the entry requirements for German Studies were ABB-BBC, which meant that I was applying. However, they've recently pushed them up to 'AAB-BBB' which means I can no longer apply!!! SO annoying! :angry:

Thats so rubbish mate, when did the entry requirements change for your course?

Latest

Trending

Trending