The Student Room Group

Imperial College Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Someone123123
I still don't understand why people even bother considering 4 A-levels. Med' schools ask for 3, so why burden yourself? If someone's worried about a particular subject, even more reason to drop a subject to concentrate on 3?

I got 100% in Philosophy and 96% in Maths at AS. That meant I would literally need to scrape Cs in my A2 modules for me to come out with an A so I thought I might as well, and the fact that I really love philosophy and want to teach humanities (should my medical application fail/I miss grades)...
Original post by purplefrog
I got 100% in Philosophy and 96% in Maths at AS. That meant I would literally need to scrape Cs in my A2 modules for me to come out with an A so I thought I might as well, and the fact that I really love philosophy and want to teach humanities (should my medical application fail/I miss grades)...

Same here - i only needed C's at A2.. so i thought might as well too!
Do you guys think that having work experince at ICL itself would make a good difference?
PS: My igcse and as level results are quite good but UKCAT and BMAT freaks me out now!
Original post by Cansu Ayten Tatar
Do you guys think that having work experince at ICL itself would make a good difference?
PS: My igcse and as level results are quite good but UKCAT and BMAT freaks me out now!

i had work exp at ICL (one of the hospitals associated with ICL, on ICL campus).
I doubt it makes too much difference.
Original post by NeemSingh
I got AAAB in my AS year. Should I drop the idea of applying to Imperial? :confused:
I guess everyone applying there would have 4A's at AS.

Sorry this has taken a while (englishman129 was right in any case). If you haven't cashed your grades in, so to speak, then it's a non-issue anyway :yep: In either case some beastly predicted grades will definitely help you out re. selection for interview - as will a strong showing in the other criteria, of course. I wouldn't let it put you off applying :holmes:
Original post by Cansu Ayten Tatar

Not really. Most of the student body/applicants aren't from west London (!).

"I did work experience at X teaching hospital - that's one of yours you know *wink wink nudge nudge*" - might come across as a bit try-hard

"I did work experience at X teaching hospital... and also managed to talk to Imperial medical students/junior doctors about their experience of the course" - seems reasonable, but there are other opportunities to talk to medics of course (conferences/open days etc.)

i.e. doesn't matter where you did your work experience, but what you got out of it.
Reply 126
I really hope I do well enough on the BMAT. Imperial is definitely my top choice :cry2:

Edit: I don't usually moan about negs but that was mean.
(edited 12 years ago)

Original post by englishman129
Same here - i only needed C's at A2.. so i thought might as well too!

But they don't look upon you with favour if you have 4 A-levels.. they look at you exactly the same as someone who took 3. It's just wasted time, surely?! Plus there are A*s up for grabs now..

Sigh, you guys are making me slightly rethink my decision to drop a fourth...
Reply 128
But they don't look upon you with favour if you have 4 A-levels.. they look at you exactly the same as someone who took 3. It's just wasted time, surely?! Plus there are A*s up for grabs now..

During the UCL open day, the admission's tutor said 80 something % took 4Alevels plus, w/o doubt similar stats would apply to Imperial.

Yes that is true, but it allows me to hold on to both subjects for longer... I also didn't really want to drop one, and was intending on taking four subjects anyway - I enjoy articulating myself in Philosophy and like problem solving in maths... It even got to the point where I gave up with maths (scraped a D in C4) and still got an A overall :biggrin:

I got A*A*AA in the end, and I know for a fact, even if I had dropped maths - the amount of extra revision I would have spent on chemistry would not have made me cross the A* threshold for it.

It is perfectly fine to take three - the only person who got an offer from Imperial in my year had 3 subjects.
Original post by Cleoleo
During the UCL open day, the admission's tutor said 80 something % took 4Alevels plus, w/o doubt similar stats would apply to Imperial.

But that doesn't mean anything. Once you cross the minimum requirements, that's it. There's a story floating around on TSR (maybe it's on this thread, I can't remember) about a guy who applied to Imperial with 7 A-levels all A grade or above but they didn't care - all that mattered was that he satisfied the minimum requirements.

Yes that is true, but it allows me to hold on to both subjects for longer... I also didn't really want to drop one, and was intending on taking four subjects anyway - I enjoy articulating myself in Philosophy and like problem solving in maths... It even got to the point where I gave up with maths (scraped a D in C4) and still got an A overall :biggrin:

I got A*A*AA in the end, and I know for a fact, even if I had dropped maths - the amount of extra revision I would have spent on chemistry would not have made me cross the A* threshold for it.

It is perfectly fine to take three - the only person who got an offer from Imperial in my year had 3 subjects.

I see.. well, thanks for your insight. I don't think I will change my mind, I would be so demotivated attending classes for a subject and sitting exams that is not even required for my goal.
And yeah, a guy I know is off to med' school this year with 3 A-levels, and this other girl I know got 4 offers with 3 A-levels ("good" reputations). I mean I know people obviously get in with 3 Alevels, but yeah..
(edited 12 years ago)
xx

but yes, so long as you meet the minimum requirements, they don't care. Anything 'above' it is treated on equal terms as those that 'just' meet it. You have completely the right outlook. It's only worth doing extra subjects if you, like me, enjoy what you're doing.
Reply 132
Anyone know if Imperial look at AS UMS scores? :smile:
Reply 133
Original post by Nator
Anyone know if Imperial look at AS UMS scores? :smile:

No, only Cambridge have access to UMS marks. Imperial don't seem to have a policy on AS, it's just a B in the AS subject dropped + minimum AAA predicted.
Reply 134
Original post by Cleoleo
No, only Cambridge have access to UMS marks. Imperial don't seem to have a policy on AS, it's just a B in the AS subject dropped + minimum AAA predicted.

Thanks for the reply :smile: Started BMAT prep?
Reply 135
Hey, guys.. now that we've etabilished that ICL do not disadvantage at all against having 3 A2 instead of 4.

I would like to know how it stands with the GCSE's. Is it a tick box like the A level requirements or do they sort out between people who got 10A* and others that barely meet the minimum requirement.
The reason I'm asking is because I only got 1* at GCSE and 5 A :s-smilie:.. I did my gcse's in 1 yr as i'm from Germany.

Therefore are the b-mat and the following interview the only decider or can I be rejected due to very low gcse's.
Reply 136
Original post by Nator
Thanks for the reply :smile: Started BMAT prep?

Noo... hope to start this week!
Where do I start ?:eek:
Reply 137
Original post by Cleoleo
Noo... hope to start this week!
Where do I start ?:eek:

Starting is always the hardest :laugh: Try some past papers.
Slowly starting to love S1 oh man thought the day would never come! :biggrin:
Original post by Nator
Starting is always the hardest :laugh: Try some past papers.
Slowly starting to love S1 oh man thought the day would never come! :biggrin:

An you know it.

I'm applying here btw
Original post by Giggy88
Hey, guys.. now that we've etabilished that ICL do not disadvantage at all against having 3 A2 instead of 4.

I would like to know how it stands with the GCSE's. Is it a tick box like the A level requirements or do they sort out between people who got 10A* and others that barely meet the minimum requirement.
The reason I'm asking is because I only got 1* at GCSE and 5 A :s-smilie:.. I did my gcse's in 1 yr as i'm from Germany.

Therefore are the b-mat and the following interview the only decider or can I be rejected due to very low gcse's.

ye its a tick and move on, then rank by bmat and then inv to interview

Quick Reply

Latest