The Student Room Group

The Official "Oxford or Cambridge?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by *Hakz*
I second that too.

Know a few people (through someone else, but met them a lot) from Exeter, one from Cambridge and a two from Oxford.

The Cambridge girl is just really smart.
The Oxford people are both smart but both went to private schools.
The Exeter group are mostly just rich kids and very rah-ish, but the thing is, they're super nice people, it's just the way they talk.
Reply 221
Original post by JMJ19

Original post by JMJ19
Know a few people (through someone else, but met them a lot) from Exeter, one from Cambridge and a two from Oxford.

The Cambridge girl is just really smart.
The Oxford people are both smart but both went to private schools.
The Exeter group are mostly just rich kids and very rah-ish, but the thing is, they're super nice people, it's just the way they talk.

The Cambridge girl was smarter than the Oxford guys?
Reply 222
Original post by *Hakz*
The Cambridge girl was smarter than the Oxford guys?

Was just her real point of notability, the rest had other points to mention; i.e. independent schools.
More rah's in other universities (though i'd say oxford has more than cambridge :P ). Most are nice to you though so it seems a weird hang-up to have about a person.
Deffo Durham.

Edit: The bailey colleges especially. And maybe Hilde Bede too... :smile:
It's more Unis like Nottingham, Leeds and Bristol. Mid Units, Oxbridge are for really clever, ambitious types not necessarily posh tossers.
My school have recently suggested I apply to Oxbridge, 2013 entry (yes, I know it's early, but our school have a weird system of 'career consultation meetings' in Year 12). I have previously read that on the arts & humanities/social science front, Oxford beats Cambridge. And Cambridge wins regarding natural sciences, medicine, etc. So, if I want to apply for Law, would it be roughly correct to say that it would be harder to get a place in Oxford over Cambridge? On the Cambridge prospectus it states that there are 5 applicants per place, but I can't find the Oxford statistics.

I know there's various other factors like the LNAT/Cambridge Law Test, interview, college choice. But generally speaking, would that be right?
Reply 227
no
By the way, in relation to my pose earlier - I go to an underperforming State School, with GCSE pass rates at below 55%.
it really depends on time, number of applicants, rate of A* grades. But in theory Cantab is harder since they require A*AA for all of their courses. Oxford requirements are AAA (im sure it hasnt cahnged), however if a student achieved A*AA or was predicted that then you can imagine they would apply for oxford since they would have a better chance then someone with AAA, rather than risk it all for cambridge who's base rate is A*AA,,,,,

Either way the oppertunities are probable, equal and exchangable. if you get a Congratulary First or a First from Oxford or a Starred First from cambrdige then you will be fine. (even if you come out of oxford with 2nd or 3rd you will be fine; look at David Dimbelby, Imran Khan cricket player and plicitician and Nick Griffin the spoon.) you do well at either then you could go to the other for post grad stuff e.g Oxon's BCL or Cantabs LLM or decide to go to the US.

in summary if you will struggle or just about get A* AA for definate then its just a matter of picking between the two and if you get AAA then Oxford is your only chance. And remember you can go into the other for post graduate with good grades from the degree. Do not discount LSE, UCL, KCL; people have many dilemas when the reality hits and the lodnon unis give them a place.

either way good grades means good oppertunities, you'll do well

honestly
I can't really comment on this generally, but for Law, the courses in Oxford and Cambridge are differently structured and so you'll want to make your choice based on which you prefer. Both degrees are, of course, equally respected. Also, don't forget that you may just prefer one town over the other! Do build in plenty of time to visit both.
Original post by mintaddiction
On the Cambridge prospectus it states that there are 5 applicants per place, but I can't find the Oxford statistics.

You know, sometimes google is useful. Top link.

17.7% of applicants were successful in 2009, so not different enough to speculate about any conclusions
Tbh, you're better off looking at which course/city you like better than which one is only slightly better.

The differences in competition between the two will be small.
Reply 233
Original post by honestly
it really depends on time, number of applicants, rate of A* grades. But in theory Cantab is harder since they require A*AA for all of their courses. Oxford requirements are AAA (im sure it hasnt cahnged), however if a student achieved A*AA or was predicted that then you can imagine they would apply for oxford since they would have a better chance then someone with AAA, rather than risk it all for cambridge who's base rate is A*AA,,,,,

Either way the oppertunities are probable, equal and exchangable. if you get a Congratulary First or a First from Oxford or a Starred First from cambrdige then you will be fine. (even if you come out of oxford with 2nd or 3rd you will be fine; look at David Dimbelby, Imran Khan cricket player and plicitician and Nick Griffin the spoon.) you do well at either then you could go to the other for post grad stuff e.g Oxon's BCL or Cantabs LLM or decide to go to the US.

in summary if you will struggle or just about get A* AA for definate then its just a matter of picking between the two and if you get AAA then Oxford is your only chance. And remember you can go into the other for post graduate with good grades from the degree. Do not discount LSE, UCL, KCL; people have many dilemas when the reality hits and the lodnon unis give them a place.

either way good grades means good oppertunities, you'll do well

honestly

You don't need a starred first from Cambridge to get a job or be successful. In many years, no one gets a starred first at all. Plenty of people get a decent job with a 2:i. A third won't cut it, and a 2:ii probably won't, either.

Also, an A*AA predicted student isn't necessarily any more likely to get into Oxford. If Oxford interview more A*AA candidates, then perhaps. But the interview is going to matter a lot more than whether a candidate is predicted A*AA or AAA.
Original post by jjarvis
You don't need a starred first from Cambridge to get a job or be successful. In many years, no one gets a starred first at all. Plenty of people get a decent job with a 2:i. A third won't cut it, and a 2:ii probably won't, either.

Also, an A*AA predicted student isn't necessarily any more likely to get into Oxford. If Oxford interview more A*AA candidates, then perhaps. But the interview is going to matter a lot more than whether a candidate is predicted A*AA or AAA.

suppose..... writing on this forum late, means i never write everything that i need to,,, point taken

honestly
Original post by wibletg
I saw a graph produced by the Director of Undergraduate Admissions which showed the AS average UMS that people achieved when they were offered a place and it ranged from 85 to 100, with some way below that (due to special circumstances).

This was for engineering, however, so I don't know if it's true for other subjects.

The Engineering tutor told me it was 94 average! Thank you, this made me feel better, as mine is 89 over my top three! :/ haha :smile:
Original post by Tsunami2011
Not at A2, you only need A*AA. The 90% is just a guideline, people get in with more and people get in with less. 85%+ is usually seen as good, so I'd say you're well placed to apply. They usually consider your top three, and you have 2 over 90% which is good. Maybe consider applying to Downing, they promise interviews to anyone with an 85% average over their top three subjects.

YAY this made me happy too! I'm applying to Downing for Engineering and my average is 89%. Hopefully I get an interview - it's worth applying even for that experience! :smile:
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Where has this perceived over-emphasis of GCSEs come from? Just because Oxford don't see UMS scores does not automatically mean it is a GCSE Nazi...
Oxford uses many aptitude tests and submitted work to distinguish between AAAAA AS level candidates as well as GCSEs. In your case, you will have to sit the TSA which will cut away around 2/3 of the applicants before interview.

I don't think Oxford would be silly enough to discount an applicant with good AS grades and a TSA because of a piddling matter such as an A at GCSE.

Furthermore, I seriously doubt that GCSE economics is anything like degree level economics. Not even A level economics is a required subject because it's not very qualitative...

In short: Go for it! Don't let misconceptions hold you back.

Your icon is Trinity College, Oxford's crest isn't it? :smile:
Original post by SomeoneIveNeverMet
Your icon is Trinity College, Oxford's crest isn't it? :smile:

Yes :colondollar:

I didn't like the colours at first, but it grew on me...
Reply 239
Hi, I posted this in the oxford forum, but noone seems to be taking any notice of it. Hopefully you Cambridge students could help resolve my quandary. (I've pasted my post below)

I'm applying to read History at Oxford or Cambridge this year. I'm applying post A-Level ( I got an A* in History, an A* in French, an A in Economics, a B in Chemistry). The thing is, I really don't know to which one I should apply. I'm worried that I shall fail the H.A.T again and won't have a chance to show myself at interview where I excel (this isn't the time to be modest!). Logically this means I should apply to Cambridge where there is no H.A.T whic stands in the way of getting an interview. My heart is in Oxford though, but my head tells me to go to Cambridge. What should I do? I can't afford to fail at the first hurdle again becuase this is the second time I'm applying!

I need a quick reply since I need to send my application to school for processing by the end of the day.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending