The Student Room Group

OFFICIAL: 2012 Graduate Scheme Applications

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Well assuming there are people who reject DB after the internship, naturally there would be some spaces left for grad apps.
Reply 241
Original post by ebam_uk
Well assuming there are people who reject DB after the internship, naturally there would be some spaces left for grad apps.

Why not fill them with people from other desk which wanted to hire but didn't have headcount?
Reply 242
I am only talking about markets. And trust me on this one.
Reply 243
Man.. I still haven't submitted all my applications! But, it seems like nobody has got an interview for IBD yet..
Reply 244
Original post by SimonM
Why not fill them with people from other desk which wanted to hire but didn't have headcount?

Possibly to hold out for poaching interns with direct experience for that position!
I don't think DB markets is hiring externally at all for 2012 entry. They might do a late hiring cycle if market conditions improve though. Also, the DB programme is rotational so no desk specific hires would be made anyway. Hiring will be done based on the target number for the grad class.
Original post by Lut1Mal1
congrats

which division? did you have to retake the tests?

trading and no.
Reply 247
If DB keeps its markets program open, then I guess there's still an opportunity.
Reply 248
DB had a networking event a month or two ago resulting in direct AC's for participants (Other Interns in the area).
its closed.
Reply 250
Original post by rockon
DB had a networking event a month or two ago resulting in direct AC's for participants (Other Interns in the area).

I spoke to HR - they didn't run any interviews or ACs for grad. All grad recruitment was done from their interns.
is this a typical year of investment banking grad hiring (im applying for technology based roles) seems to be very few places at all :/
Welcome to the "new normal" as Bill Gross would say.
Reply 253
i went to the credit suisse event last month, and applied to ibd, no reply yet...

not looking good for grads, i guess our credit rating has been downgraded... take that capitalistic 2010's society
CS looks bleak for FT recruitment across FO from the sounds of how people here are getting on.
final years best course of action is to apply for internships quickly and get your lse and imperial finance related masters apps started
Reply 256
Original post by Ludovic_88
BNP telephone invite.

congrats and good luck! :smile:

Has anyone applied to asset mgmt in the BB? Heard back?
Reply 257
Hey guys, been reading the thread over the last few weeks and was dismayed by the total negativity of some people here. Obviously it's not going to be an easy year to get a front office job but theres still a lot of firms out there, you just need to cast your net a little wider. I've sent out about 30 applications so far (many to smaller market making firms, energy/commodity traders, hedge funds/asset managers) and overall have had a really positive response with 4 interviews so far and 3 outright rejections (Deutsche - intake full, Shell - application probably not tailored enough to them specifically, CQS - not currently taking on grads). I understand that a lot probably won't even reply and I've probably got many more rejections to come, but thats just the way it is.

I want to become a trader and believe as long as I manage to get in somewhere and start trading within a few years as long as you can prove that you are good then it won't matter too much where you started out. At the end of the day this is a completely results driven industry where the best people will rise to the top (not that I am at all saying that I am in any way the best person, before someone shoots me down!)

Anyway, best of luck to everyone with their job hunts, stay positive!
Original post by jonshlong
Hey guys, been reading the thread over the last few weeks and was dismayed by the total negativity of some people here. Obviously it's not going to be an easy year to get a front office job but theres still a lot of firms out there, you just need to cast your net a little wider. I've sent out about 30 applications so far (many to smaller market making firms, energy/commodity traders, hedge funds/asset managers) and overall have had a really positive response with 4 interviews so far and 3 outright rejections (Deutsche - intake full, Shell - application probably not tailored enough to them specifically, CQS - not currently taking on grads). I understand that a lot probably won't even reply and I've probably got many more rejections to come, but thats just the way it is.

I want to become a trader and believe as long as I manage to get in somewhere and start trading within a few years as long as you can prove that you are good then it won't matter too much where you started out. At the end of the day this is a completely results driven industry where the best people will rise to the top (not that I am at all saying that I am in any way the best person, before someone shoots me down!)

where do you find the name of the smaller firms. Coming from a comp sci background its hard to no of any firms outside the "biggest". I managed to get an interview with shell though :woo:
Reply 259
Original post by jonshlong

Excellent post. It's about time someone posted some optimistic thoughts!

Quick Reply