The Student Room Group

is Great Britain great

Scroll to see replies

It used to be more in the past but it has gone down hill alot and is difficult to find anything to justify "Great", there are a very few things but we have lost too much over the recent years which is a real shame
Reply 41
Original post by YorkieLad101
That was ARPANET, Sir Tim Bernes-Lee invented the INTERNET!

and before you argue i have done two years of an IT course at college and have started a two-year HE-level IT course, so i think i know! and they were quite borin actually

oh, and we invented the computer as well, search "Colossus computer", we had a fully electronic computer capable of workin out complex maths problems and had MEMORY in 1943!

Yesss !!
Can you imagine saying "young people today are very arpanet-savvy" ?
Jelly was discovered by Sir Francis Bacon in 1665 during his research into phlogiston

:bear:
(edited 12 years ago)
I find people who disclaim this to be entirely pessimistic about britain ( in my view)

Britian has a wonderful (if not a tad blood thirsty...history )

The behavior presented in the pictures above can be witnessed in almost any country ..it is not a 'british' trait
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
The honest truth imo.
'Great' britain "GB" used to be a thriving country feared and respected throughout the globe, however that has all changed:

We have lost our manufacturing industry
Become lapdogs or (bumsucks) to the USA and EU
We will soon become uncompetitive on a global in many sectors except from finance, chemicals and retail (and a few more)
We are in a huge amount of debt worst than greece and will be next in line to get raped by the IMF
The riots have shown how our society is crumbling from the inside out
The youth are constantly bombarded with images by the media making them more sexual, materialistic, and money hungry.

*Drinks Water*

Bankers hold the GB economy by the balls and the politicians just follow suit
The whole country will one day become a big shopping centre
Graduates are becoming more of a burden than a blessing (due to their being no jobs)
Drugs, by drugs i mean Alcohol and Tobacco We'd save alot more money if we legalize weed.
Immigration to an extent because charity starts at home and some immigrants as well as natives are scamming the ---- out of the benefits system (why? because its so easy).
We have politicians who lie in our face (nothing new there)
The economy is imploding
We will soon become a province of China FACT

I suggest you learn Chinese and stock up on Gold and Silver.

Keep the printing presses rolling Mr King.

Neg me all you want this is reality at least we have freedom of speech...... i think.
only in the ego's and blinding arrogance of some of it's people.
Reply 45
Original post by the bear
Yesss !!
Can you imagine saying "young people today are very arpanet-savvy" ?

As I pointed out, Tim Berners-Lee invented the web, which is not the same as the Internet. The Internet is the network itself, the web is a service/application that runs on that network.

I don't think you can really credit anyone specific for inventing the Internet. Arpanet was the predecessor, but you can't really pinpoint when it became the Internet. The Internet grew from different organisations connecting their networks together. It was a gradual process.
Reply 46
Original post by the bear
Britain has a wonderful track record of inventing stuff: the internet, the wireless, the telly, the teacosy, jelly, pasties...
Young People of TSR rise up and invent something !!

:bear:

Not to forget the computer, the lightbulb, radar, jet engine and most importantly, the rubber band ;D

Also the internet, I think you meant the world wide web :wink:
Reply 47
I wasn't aware this was a matter of "I made the most stuff" contest, surely it depends on what discourse you adhere to or find to be worthy, "Moral" (lol) inventive, scientific etc and to be utterly fair almost everything we have or have ordained to be per se is from foundations of Hellenistic study and culture not our own.

At the end of the day, we're no greater than any other nation on principle of faults and positives.
Reply 48
Original post by 01jtiong
Is Great Britain great?

The 'great' in Great Britain does not refer to it being great in the sense you seem to think. Great Britain simply makes a distinction between the island and Brittany 'little Britain'. It's not a reference to greatness except in terms of landmass.
Reply 49
Original post by Belizibub
I wasn't aware this was a matter of "I made the most stuff" contest, surely it depends on what discourse you adhere to or find to be worthy, "Moral" (lol) inventive, scientific etc and to be utterly fair almost everything we have or have ordained to be per se is from foundations of Hellenistic study and culture not our own.

At the end of the day, we're no greater than any other nation on principle of faults and positives.

I was relating to this essentially http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/aug/26/eric-schmidt-chairman-google-education
then tell me who were the men who smuggled African slaves?
Reply 51
Is it meant to be?

As already said the great is not a title meaning anything more than it is the counterpart to lesser Britain or Brittany. So who cares.

We owned the greatest (in terms of size) empire in history once, if that counts for anything? :wink:

We've fought wars with almost every country on Earth, in Europe we haven't fought a war with the Swiss.
(edited 12 years ago)
depends on how you define great.

if you want great to be powerful, which is what i assume you're getting at, then no it is not.
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Great Britain will always be Great, because that's the name of the bloody island . . . it's a reference to the fact that the island as a whole encompasses three nations, and is "greater" than any one of those traditional polities, it has nothing to do with being awesome. :colonhash:

Just because we don't have an empire any more doesn't mean we're not great. We're one of the wealthiest, most democratic, most stable, least corrupt, least criminal, most educated, most technologically advanced, most peaceful, least polluted societies in the world. Of course there are problems, there always have been - people look back at the Empire with rose-tinted spectacles, but forget that whilst life was good for the elite, it was, right up until the 1930s-50s, a pretty miserable existence for the rest of the sorry blighters known as the British. On the whole, we're still a great nation, we just need to find our place in a multipolar world, preferably as a centrist voice of reason and moderation that defends human rights and the innocent and remains an ally to our democratic partners around the world.

loves this :biggrin::biggrin:
Calling Britain great is a modest statement.

Terrific Britain is more suitable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending