The Student Room Group

Too embarrassed to go to the gym...

Scroll to see replies

Yeah me too :frown: I know that the whole reason I'm there is so people won't think i look gross, but I don't want to join because I'm worried people will look at me and think I look disgusting :frown:

So I exercise at home instead. Much cheaper :smile:
You'll find most people at the gym won't stare at you or judge you. You'll find that most people in their own minds will have respect for you that you got off your arse and are trying to make an effort, knowing that they were once like you. Everyone starts somewhere, these people with amazing physiques didn't come out the womb as toned specimens. Just do it, you'll regret it otherwise.
Reply 42
GO!
When I see an overweight person at the gym, I don't judge them at all. I'm more likely to think "Go you!!!" but tbh I normally don't pay much attention to everyone else.
i have to admit i prefer working out at home, not just because i dont want to be judged as the fat chick (and im sorry but people on here do do it, ive seen the comments made by people) though, there are other reasons like

expense
we have spent time and money collecting equipment so we can work out at home
not having to travel to and from the gym
time we can work out, we normally do out work outs late at night
being able to get straight on with it and not have to wait for equipment

etc
Original post by Magic Dust
As the title says, I am too embarrassed to go to the gym. I am worried that people will look at me and think I am really fat, or judge me for being unfit. This is heightened by the fact it is the uni gym and full of beautiful people :sad:

Any advice?

Bring a friend who knows what they are doing and uses the gym regularly themselves. I had the same problem and I asked a friend to help me out in the gym. i.e. give me exercises to do. It was really helpful and in a few weeks time I actually knew what I was doing and felt much more confident about myself
Reply 45
You go to the gym to try to look good; you don't try to look good to go to the gym.
OP just go, maybe the first couple of times you'll feel slightly awkward, after that you'll learn to enjoy it and won't care about anyone else.

Original post by tinktinktinkerbell
i have to admit i prefer working out at home, not just because i dont want to be judged as the fat chick (and im sorry but people on here do do it, ive seen the comments made by people) though, there are other reasons like

expense
we have spent time and money collecting equipment so we can work out at home
not having to travel to and from the gym
time we can work out, we normally do out work outs late at night
being able to get straight on with it and not have to wait for equipment

etc

Damn, I can't wait till i have a house big enough for a full home gym, that's like my ultimate dream.
Generally, people won't care what you look like at the gym.

1. They're too busy doing their own thing, and are concentrating on their machines and such.

2. Who cares? You're trying to make a change in your lifestyle by going to the gym. People can't judge you for wanting to lose weight.

3. You won't be the only larger person there, there will be others in the same position as you. When I go, there's plenty of people wanting to lose weight and stuff who aren't just thinner people keeping up their fitness.

If you're dead set on not going, get a fitness DVD or a kinect and do fitness things from there. But seriously you should go to the gym, you'll feel better and i guarantee people won't look at you.
Original post by 19Dan89
OP just go, maybe the first couple of times you'll feel slightly awkward, after that you'll learn to enjoy it and won't care about anyone else.

Damn, I can't wait till i have a house big enough for a full home gym, that's like my ultimate dream.

i admit we dont have all the things a gym has, would love a leg press machine but we dont have the room
Reply 49
At my gym, fat people who come and work their asses off are well respected.
Reply 50
In my experience of going to the gym it really isn't full of "beautiful people". Sure, there's the odd few in top notch condition. But there are also a fair few that are not in the best condition. I would say there is a very wide range of people with very different levels of fitness.
would you rather people in the gym think you fat?

or society

edit: people give credit to fat people at the gym, the fact you're there contradicts the reason you're fat in the first place
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
Stop being such a baby, just go to the gym!

I was just like you before I joined the gym and now I give a left nut to what people think.
Reply 53
After all, isn't this why people go to the gym? There are a few "larger" people that go to my gym and I respect them for making the effort to get into shape!
Reply 54
Original post by Magic Dust
As the title says, I am too embarrassed to go to the gym. I am worried that people will look at me and think I am really fat, or judge me for being unfit. This is heightened by the fact it is the uni gym and full of beautiful people :sad:

Any advice?

OP - is there a Fitness 4 Less near you?

Those gyms have something called a 'Power Zone'

Basically, it's part of the gym which always has the lights turned down low for people who are a little self conscious. Loud music, treadmills etc, and sometimes even a disco ball with some cool light effects to go with it.

http://www.fitness4less.co.uk/

.. If you don't want to join a gym/another gym then the best advice I can give you is to go with a friend so at least there's two of you working out together. It'll take some of the anxiety away.
Reply 55
I agree with the guy who told you to stop being such a fag
Reply 56
Gym is for people trying to get fitter..
Thats what you're doing.
Trust me, you'll be fine. :smile:
Hi OP!

I'm a fitness instructor and have been for 4 years, now managing a gym in South Wales.

To start with, congratulations for making the decision to improve your lifestyle! The first step to making a difference is having the courage to make a change.

1. The instructors at your gym will help design a tailor-made program for you to make sure your path to a healthier body is at a safe, measured rate and under their guidence. A good instructor will not leave you to your own devices and leave you to figure it out yourself. By prescribing exercises suitable to your fitness level so don't worry about pounding the treadmill, using a cross-trainer may be more suitable for you. With determination and a positive attitude, you will develop and improve your fitness and lose weight.

2. Have you considered going for a 20-30 min walk instead of jogging? If you are unaccustomed to running (that includes jogging!) then it may be better for your joints to go for a brisk walk instead. Plus you are more likely to achieve a three mile walk than a run at the moment! Failure to complete an exercise leads to disheartenment and ends in giving up. By regular walks and training in the gym, you can build up to jogging.

3. A good gym instructor relishes a project! There is nothing more satisfying than seeing somebody you've advised and guided achieve their goals and celebrating a success. Their first 10 minute run on a treadmill, the first 5lb loss, the day they see a result. Instructors will support you through your journey, always ask them for advice and if you're not sure about anything.

4. Human nature dictates that curiosity and jealousy makes people stare, it doesn't matter if you're a 15 stone ripped bloke deadlifting a small elephant or somebody trying their best to lose weight. I love CrossFit and get stared at when I'm doing my circuits, I've had men leave the weights room when I walk in because they can't stand the thought of training in the same room as a woman! But there was a time I was using a gym because I was two stone overweight and beasting myself on the cross trainer.

Be strong, be determined and never ever let your head go down!

Gym Bunny
Original post by String.
You go to the gym to try to look good; you don't try to look good to go to the gym.

So true but many people think its the complete opposite
Reply 59
Original post by Octohedral
Running is brilliant - try the couch to 5k scheme. You may not see weight loss results immediately, but you will feel so good (I'm overweight, and nearly finished it). The reason I mention it is that you can choose where to run, even in a city, and the fresh air is much healthier than a gym. Plus, you won't see the same people.

In terms of being self-conscious, I think all you can do is ignore people. I used to hate people watching me, but the truth is they probably didn't even notice. If I see anyone exercising I just think good for them. As posters have already mentioned, you are there to change your lifestyle. Get some sort of training plan (there are plenty free on the internet), and stick to it.

Good luck! :smile:

I don't, I laugh and point at people exercising

People that exercise are below me

Quick Reply

Latest