The Student Room Group

Debenhams Thread

I got a call yesterday to arrange a telephone interview for Monday at 9:30am, I've got to admit the woman on the phone wasn't too pleasant and she was in quite a noisy area so I couldn't hear her properly and she sounded annoyed at me when I said 'Pardon?'

Anyway I've applied for 2 jobs at Debenhams a xmas temp Sales Adviser and a xmas temp Restaurant Assistant and she didn't state what job I was being interviewed for. I have a feeling it's for the Sales Adviser role because it's the most recent one I've applied for.

I just want to know if anyone has experience in a Debenhams phone interview and what sort of questions can I expect?

I know there are threads on this but I can't seem to find anything helpful.

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How is it everyone gets interviews but me? :colonhash:

Only River Island gives me interviews/jobs.
Reply 2
The questions are fairly simple. They may ask you what you know about the store like what departments and stuff and why you want to work there. I got asked questions like what would you do if....
I've done 3 and passed all of them.

The group interview is the hardest bit =/ I passed because my best friend came with me and we were sat talking away and laughing and they thought we were strangers haha We both got the job!

Then I had 2 after that and the people there had big characters and were very creative (you get asked to talk to the group about a product) Needless to say I failed haha
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you :smile: I've got to admit I don't really know anything about Debenhams *facepalm*

I searched about the assessment centre incase I got that far and I've got to admit I'm really not looking forward to that seeing as doing public speaking such as standing in front of everyone and 'selling' an item is something that'll make me uncomfortable and give me anxiety.

I think the interview process is alot for a simple temp job, it's so annoying haha. Not too sure If I should continute with it now :/

Thanks for your help! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by xDivax90x
Thank you :smile: I've got to admit I don't really know anything about Debenhams *facepalm*

I searched about the assessment centre incase I got that far and I've got to admit I'm really not looking forward to that seeing as doing public speaking such as standing in front of everyone and 'selling' an item is something that'll make me uncomfortable and give me anxiety.

I think the interview process is alot for a simple temp job, it's so annoying haha. Not too sure If I should continute with it now :/

Thanks for your help! :smile:

I think you should just go for it! Just try your best with your telephone interview and if you get through go to the group one!

I think once you have done it you will feel miles better about yourself because for some people public speaking is a hard thing to do. There are a few ice breakers to try and help relax everyone too. Even if you didn't get the job its an experience!
Hey, I have an interview tomorrow for the X-mas sales assistant job too :smile: So, if you pass the interview stage, do you have to do the public speaking and group interviews just for the temp ones too? Because that seems alot of hassel just for a temp job, especially becasue they hire alot of people.
I have the phone interview tomorrow. For the "Why do you want to work hear?" is this a good answer?

"Debenhams seems like a great place to work as there's a good atmosphere to the place. Also, I thrive in active, fast-paced environments. I'm a people person and am good at noticing when people need help and assistance. My passion and determination to do the job well are reasons as to why I think a job at Debenhams would suit me well."
Reply 7
Original post by icnthelpit

Original post by icnthelpit
Hey, I have an interview tomorrow for the X-mas sales assistant job too :smile: So, if you pass the interview stage, do you have to do the public speaking and group interviews just for the temp ones too? Because that seems alot of hassel just for a temp job, especially becasue they hire alot of people.

I know it's ridiculous I think, it's a lot of hassle for a temp job. Not impressed at all haha
Reply 8
I had my telephone interview around 3 weeks ago now.
It's pretty straight forward, they ask you the criminal convinctions etc questions that on on the job app to start, and then they ask you some questions very similar to those on the application online.
I didn't think mine was very good, my answers weren't very sort of logical as in if you had to write them down you'd make them correct etc if that makes sense? But I got through it and was asked to go for a interview. I was the only person there on that day so I didn't have to do any of the group activities only the 1-to-1 interview, and I got the job :smile:
Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by Alice.

Original post by Alice.
I had my telephone interview around 3 weeks ago now.
It's pretty straight forward, they ask you the criminal convinctions etc questions that on on the job app to start, and then they ask you some questions very similar to those on the application online.
I didn't think mine was very good, my answers weren't very sort of logical as in if you had to write them down you'd make them correct etc if that makes sense? But I got through it and was asked to go for a interview. I was the only person there on that day so I didn't have to do any of the group activities only the 1-to-1 interview, and I got the job :smile:
Good luck!

I've got mine rescheduled for tomorrow morning because I missed the call this morning :/ I've prepared pretty well for questions that might come up in the interview so I'm not too nervous about that. I wish if I get through to the assessment day that I'm the only person there haha xD

I did email debenhams jobs just asking for more information on the assessment day as I have anxiety and the thought of the group task where you have to 'sell' an item is making me anxious just thinking about it and a woman called me (which I missed again -_-) and left a message saying that it's not as bad as people are making it out to seem and that I can ring to discuss it with her.

I just really don't know if I should even go for the phone interview now It's really making me ill worrying about this one part of the group interview (which I might not even get to! haha)

Hey :biggrin: I had a phone interview today and I've got my assessment booked for next monday which means I'll have to miss college in the morning.

I'm so worried :/
Reply 11
Original post by Natalie21

Original post by Natalie21
Hey :biggrin: I had a phone interview today and I've got my assessment booked for next monday which means I'll have to miss college in the morning.

I'm so worried :/

What did they ask you on the telephone interview? and good luck :biggrin:
Reply 12
I've got to admit I'm quite annoyed, I rang yesterday to reschedule a phone interview and the woman said tomorrow (today) at 9:45am. It's now 11:30am and no one has bothered calling! :/ Don't think I'm going to even bother ringing not wasting my money ringing an 0800 number when they can't even be bothered to ring me to complete an interview.
Reply 13
They asked me a question like 'If a customer couldn't find an item in store, what would you say to them?'
And i was like 'eerr... I'd ask them if they checked online? Or tell them that we can order it instore. .....There is an instore ordering service, right?' And she seemed quite impressed 'cause she was like 'yeah! we have a service where you can order to their home/workplace'

Then she told me to mention that in the group interview, but no question was asked where I could say that.
Reply 14
Original post by Tasneemo

Original post by Tasneemo
They asked me a question like 'If a customer couldn't find an item in store, what would you say to them?'
And i was like 'eerr... I'd ask them if they checked online? Or tell them that we can order it instore. .....There is an instore ordering service, right?' And she seemed quite impressed 'cause she was like 'yeah! we have a service where you can order to their home/workplace'

Then she told me to mention that in the group interview, but no question was asked where I could say that.

Just had my phone interview and passed :smile: Got to go to the assessment centre on Saturday for 2 hours. That question about what would you do if a customer couldn't find an item came up and I'm so thankful you mentioned the ordering service because I probably would of frozen up. My interviewer was so nice, I told her I was really nervous and she told me not to worry and to just relax we can spend as much time on the interview as I needed. She put me on hold for 2 minutes and told me congratulations I was successful. She then went on to explain what would happen at the assessment centre. She also told me she wrote a note on my application about me needing to be more confident so she gave me some tips to get stuck in and to try and stand out in the group task. She told me I had a good knowledge on Debenhams and to just research a bit more for the interview.

I have to admit I think I did a little too much researching for the telephone interview because I had like 4 pages of notes in front of me and 19 questions written out with answers and when she asked a question I was scurring around trying to find an answer! xD I was expecting her to ask for examples of when I've handle a situation/used my initiative etc. I was asked about 4 or 5 questions.

Very nervous :/ Not sure what exactly I should research! o.O
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
I had my phone interview today.

It lasted around 10 minutes and they first ask you basic questions like any criminal convictions, can you work in the uk?

Then they ask you questions about the job, I thought I was fine but I got a lil nervous during the interview. As although the woman was nice she was a bit robotic like she rolls through a lot of candidates and I didnt know if I was standing out. To be honest I only prepared an hour before my interview so that might be the reason for my nerves. But the sort of questions she did ask was:
what would a supervisor or manager expect you to do on this job?
How would you deliver great customer service? What does great customer service involve.
How would you help a customer?
and this question as people on the thread have pointed out if a customer couldnt find a item what would you do? (talk about online store n instore ordering service)
Why do you want to work for debenhams?

I got thru to the assesment centre which is next week, this is my sixth group interview Ive ever had so sort know what to expect but this ones a lil different. I havent had to do all this for a xmas job! but I feel that its very good because they give you feed back and tell you what to improve on. s

She put me on hold for two mins and then told me i got the job. However she said i need to have more depth in questions (which i totally agreed on, as i repeating) and make sure that I mention, promotions, tills, working in a team more. When she said all that I was actually surprised I got thru, I missed so much out!

I would say make sure you research the store, and the job description. Know what you will be doing.

Hope this helps.

:colondollar:
Reply 16
Original post by SodaPops

Yeah I had my interview yesterday the first 5 minutes or so were just her going over the eligibility questions I answered on my application form. I'm thankful 'Tasneemo' mentioned the instore ordering service because that questions popped up.

I'm so nervous for the assessment day, I know one of Debenhams own brands (Red Herring) and the names of a few Designers at Debenhams and their brands. I'm just not sure what exactly to research.

Also if anyone has experience at a Debenhams assessment day what sort of questions should I expect in the actual interview?
Reply 17
I too have a Debenhams telephone interview today, the one difference being I have actually worked for Debenhams before so know the process slightly better this time.

As far as the assessment centres go, mine was for a role in a brand new store so they were hiring a greater number of people. However, firstly we had to sit round a large table and state one true fact about ourselves and one false one, the other people in the group had to then guess which was true and which was false by asking a series of questions. Secondly, I *think* we were given a hand out of the different departments within the store and the clothing brands within the store and the demographic of people that were most likely to buy from a certain department I think we talked about that and there was some sort of exercise around it.

It all ended with a one on one interview where they asked you more or less the same questions as they did in the telephone interview and the application form.

I would definitely say to present yourself as confident and where possible, initiate conversation with others. It helped me previously.

Anyway, good luck! :smile:
Reply 18
I am really nervous for the assessment day I've researched over the internet about what to expect and it's just made me more nervous.

I also got an email today from Debenhams jobs saying this:

Take some time to research the company as this will give you confidence should you be asked any question on what the company does, you can find such information on www.debenhams.com You could even visit you local store, have a general look around and get a ‘feel’ of the store and what it might be like to work there.

It may be helpful to research the following points when preparing for your interview:

* what do Debenhams do and what do we sell?

* who are our Debenhams customers and what services do we offer?

* what sort of organisation are we?

* who are Debenhams main competitors on the high street?

* what is the job likely to involve?

* how can you best fit your skills to match the job?

I have tried searching but I can't find the answers on the website can any one please help?

I'm also going to the Stockport assessment day this Saturday.
Surely all those questions are just common sense?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending