The Student Room Group

Peninsula Medical School Applicants thread 2012 entry.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
i have 655 for my ukcat which gives me a total of 2620. i know i am above last year's cut off but i don't know whether i will be above this year's??? what ya think? i'm scared. :/
Original post by no.name
i have 655 for my ukcat which gives me a total of 2620. i know i am above last year's cut off but i don't know whether i will be above this year's??? what ya think? i'm scared. :/

The logical thing would be to call and ask? They will be happy to tell you over the phone.
Reply 82
Ok guys, serious question time: When do I update my facebook to say i'm studying at Peninsula since my place is confirmed....?
Reply 83
Heyy everyone, (if ukcat goes well I'd want to apply here)
I'm a resit applicant with AABB. Gcse's are 1A* 6A 3 B. Do you think i stand a chance?
Original post by no.name

Hi, would you know the cut off for last year?
Reply 85
Original post by amazin_sk8a_dude
Hi, would you know the cut off for last year?

Reply 86
Original post by aj2010
Heyy everyone, (if ukcat goes well I'd want to apply here)
I'm a resit applicant with AABB. Gcse's are 1A* 6A 3 B. Do you think i stand a chance?

Well any resit applicant is at a disadvantage, have you done your UKCAT yet?
Reply 87
Hi.. I'm really worried about the A*AA offer.

I'm predicted A*AA but would much prefer it if i wasn't made such an offer based on this...

Will you DEFINITELY be made an A*AA offer if you are predicted one A*?

So far..
GCSEs: 11 A*s

A/S: Chem (B) Bio(A) Maths (A) Latin (A)

UKcat: 710 average.

PLEASEE HELP APPLICATION DUE IN IN TWO DAYS TIME :frown:
Reply 88
Original post by irem123
Hi.. I'm really worried about the A*AA offer.

I'm predicted A*AA but would much prefer it if i wasn't made such an offer based on this...

Will you DEFINITELY be made an A*AA offer if you are predicted one A*?

So far..
GCSEs: 11 A*s

A/S: Chem (B) Bio(A) Maths (A) Latin (A)

UKcat: 710 average.

PLEASEE HELP APPLICATION DUE IN IN TWO DAYS TIME :frown:

There's no DEFINITE answer. But the best thing to do would be to call admissions tomorrow to see how they are using the A* grade/offer. Someone posted a while back having been to the open day last year that they were introducing the A* offer to distinguish between the ''ability'' of an A student and an A* student, as well as preventing over predicting. Soooo I guess that statement alone does kind of suggest that, but on the other hand, it might also be for the borderline candidates AFTER interview who their not completely sure on hence give them a higher offer.
Original post by joemullally

Last year their cut off was higher than your score, and it's probably going to go up
:/.

What was their cut off last year?

Thanks ^^
Reply 90
Original post by hopes
There's no DEFINITE answer. But the best thing to do would be to call admissions tomorrow to see how they are using the A* grade/offer. Someone posted a while back having been to the open day last year that they were introducing the A* offer to distinguish between the ''ability'' of an A student and an A* student, as well as preventing over predicting. Soooo I guess that statement alone does kind of suggest that, but on the other hand, it might also be for the borderline candidates AFTER interview who their not completely sure on hence give them a higher offer.

Thanks for your advice but it's a bit late now because the admissions office is closed in the weekend :frown:

oh dear i dont think i want to gamble.
Reply 91
Original post by PeaceFreak
Well any resit applicant is at a disadvantage, have you done your UKCAT yet?

Yea that's true. Nope not yet. I'll only apply if i get at least 670 or above
Reply 92
Original post by aj2010
Yea that's true. Nope not yet. I'll only apply if i get at least 670 or above

The best course of action would probably to get in contact with admissions to see if they're consider you at all, if not it's a wasted space
Reply 93
hi :smile: this is my first post on the whole forum ha, i've been browsing through for a while but when i saw this thread i decided i just had to join!

peninsula is my dream place to study medicine, i looked around the open day last year and absolutely fell for it. my boyfriend is also at exeter uni this year (i'm not chosing peninsula because of this, ha) but it's a massive bonus, right?

i'm not sure how great my chances are at getting in, i haven't done my ukcat yet, it's in a week and a half, but i'm studying like mental for it! last year (i'm a second time applicant!) i got 630, which was like 15 or so below their cut off apparently? but this year i have revised a lot more, and feel much more capable so i'm hoping for a score nearer 700.

i got 4 A's at A-level, including bio and chem, however i got 3A's and a C at AS :s
i also got 5A*s and 4A's at gcse, all the stars were in my science subjects. i'm also applying for a job in health care this year, and cramming in as much extra experience as possible! fingers crossed!

alsoooo, why are some people saying their deadline for their application is in a few days time? isn't it 15th october? i checked and rechecked on the ucas website and it definitely says the 15th! got me worried though, ha! x
Reply 94
Original post by iceman_jondoe

Original post by iceman_jondoe
The logical thing would be to call and ask? They will be happy to tell you over the phone.

i have called but they always say we can't tell until we get all the applications. so applying may be a gamble but may not be depending on this years ukcat cut off.
I think I'm applying.

They don't use the UKCAT right?
And applicants are ranked based on academic achievements as far as I am aware. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply 96
Original post by PeaceFreak
The best course of action would probably to get in contact with admissions to see if they're consider you at all, if not it's a wasted space

Do you mean with my gcse grades? hmm :/. Because I am a resit applicant my other choices are A* uni's and I would need to be predicted a A* which my school don't do.
Original post by j.rose

alsoooo, why are some people saying their deadline for their application is in a few days time? isn't it 15th october? i checked and rechecked on the ucas website and it definitely says the 15th! got me worried though, ha! x

I reckon it's their college/sixth form deadline.
Do PMS expect some things to be seen in a PS, such as long term volunteering? I'm don't really know how Med Schools will judge my statement.

Also, if anyone knows about open days, could you tell me please. There isn't much on their website :frown:

Also, without sounding to interviewey, Why PMS
Original post by carcinoma

Hi, you seem to be the eyes and ears of this med school. Say, how do they shortlist for interviews?

Quick Reply

Latest