The Student Room Group

Zoology/Biological Sciences applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by (Online)
Hey guys, thought I'd just hijack this thread to let you all know I'm doing Biology this year at York university. If anybody wants any information about york or applying for biology/biology courses in general then feel free to ask :^_^:

Yay for biologists! :clap2:

I live in York :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by abbie4884
I live in York :smile:

:smile: I've been a few times, I only live about 20 minutes away by train (doncaster) so there'll be some familiarity! It's a lovely place :biggrin:
I'm wanting to apply for zoology but recentley all the grades have been put up at the unis i wanted to apply for, im only predicted a BBC but hoping for ABC just wondering if anyone else has lower grades than ABB coz everyone who ive seen seem to have really high grades :s-smilie: :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by hazelgloriacox
I'm wanting to apply for zoology but recentley all the grades have been put up at the unis i wanted to apply for, im only predicted a BBC but hoping for ABC just wondering if anyone else has lower grades than ABB coz everyone who ive seen seem to have really high grades :s-smilie: :smile:

Where are you thinking of applying now? And where did you hope to apply before they changed their entry requirements? There are a fair few places who have entry of BBC :smile:
:h: I'm applying for zoology with herpetology at Bangor Uni :colone:
Not sure what other uni's to apply to though :s-smilie: and my personal statement is difficult :confused:
Reply 25
Yay, Im apply to do Biology at:
Oxford, Sheffield, Bristol, Exeter and Newcastle :biggrin:

And I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Geography, and I have Music AS. :smile:

My personal statement is currently 48 lines and I couldn't be more frustrated! Ive literally done like 4 hours or more a day on it though, it's been very hard work :P Im finally getting there though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Emgrace
Yay, Im apply to do Biology at:
Oxford, Sheffield, Bristol, Exeter and Newcastle :biggrin:

And I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Geography, and I have Music AS. :smile:

My personal statement is currently 48 lines and I couldn't be more frustrated! Ive literally done like 4 hours or more a day on it though, it's been very hard work :P Im finally getting there though.

How have you come up with an introduction? I'm having sooooo much trouble thinking of a first line or so that will make them read on :s-smilie:

Well done on getting it to 48 lines though :smile: mine is about 5 haha
Isn't there already a 2012 biology applicants thread? :s-smilie:

Original post by EmilieTheGreat
Hi everyone,
I'm going for biology at Sheffield, Oxford, Nottingham and maybe Manchester?? I don't know.... :biggrin:

I know someone starting Biology at Mancs this year! she just left last week and apparantly is loving it :smile:
Original post by tgarrud
Isn't there already a 2012 biology applicants thread? :s-smilie:

I know someone starting Biology at Mancs this year! she just left last week and apparantly is loving it :smile:

It looks like such a good course!
Reply 29
I'm applying to Cambridge (Natural Sciences) and then Biology/Biological Sciences at York, Lancaster, Durham and either Edinburgh or St. Andrews
Original post by Magickal
I'm applying to Cambridge (Natural Sciences) and then Biology/Biological Sciences at York, Lancaster, Durham and either Edinburgh or St. Andrews

Have you decided which college you're applying to for Durham? :biggrin:
Reply 31
Original post by Stir fried Giblets
Have you decided which college you're applying to for Durham? :biggrin:

Yeah, I'm applying for St Cuthbert's because it has the right mix of self-catering/catering without having to pay for an ensuite room :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by abbie4884
How have you come up with an introduction? I'm having sooooo much trouble thinking of a first line or so that will make them read on :s-smilie:

Well done on getting it to 48 lines though :smile: mine is about 5 haha

i had alot of trouble with an introduction/catchy first line when i was writing my personal statement last year. i started off with a general line i knew i was going to have to change and then as i was writing the rest of it a first line just popped into my head :smile:

good luck though
Reply 33
hey :smile: i'm applying to do zoology at Exeter, Leeds, Liverpool John Moores, Hull and Aberystwyth! I am finding my statement near impossible I just do not know what to write!! :frown:
Reply 34
Application going well so far :smile:
I've got 3/4 choices and I need another 1 or 2 yet, personal statement is done , just waiting for teachers to hurry up with references!
Reply 35
Only just blagged my way to predicted grades of BBB, is it still worth applying to exeter and newcastle who are asking AAB-ABB? I know if i get an offer i WILL get those grades. My school, however, is not convinced. They have toldl me not to bother applying but there is nowhere else that appeals to me. Would you still apply or not?
Original post by Acrylic
Only just blagged my way to predicted grades of BBB, is it still worth applying to exeter and newcastle who are asking AAB-ABB? I know if i get an offer i WILL get those grades. My school, however, is not convinced. They have toldl me not to bother applying but there is nowhere else that appeals to me. Would you still apply or not?

Still apply! There's nothing stopping yah :biggrin:
My predicted grades are ABD and I'm still applying to Newcastle. Give it a pop. Nothing lost, nothing gained, if you don't get an offer. And if you do, that's fab :wink:
Original post by Acrylic

I'd say still apply, but make sure you have some backups chosen anyway! You'll never know unless you try.
Sent off my UCAS today! :smile:
Officially applied for bio at Oxford, Sheffield, Nottingham and Manchester.
I went for the 3 and the 4 year at Sheffield (after ringing the admissions tutor).

So now I guess it's the waiting game...
Reply 39
Original post by Acrylic

I may be worth applying if you have a realistic chance of getting in. What were your AS grades and what subjects were they in? Maybe get the person whose writing your reference to mention any resits your taking so they know an A may be realistic :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending